Netizens outraged after school advertises for teaching assistant at 5,500 baht/month - 183 baht a day

webfact

8 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

Gosh, vaseline is such a versatile product.

Yes it is but I'd avoid going into too much detail. Think of the mental health of the mods.

Some may be male and probably in the difficult age sexually for a man. Between puberty and death.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

Hmm, well OK, I can tell you the nuns were requiring more salubrious transportation. I've been here for a long time, maybe things have changed and the ranks are less needy, either that or they just black up the windows now ????

Well, I have been a teacher at that school for the past 7 years. Just about every school day I have parked adjacent to the schools vehicles, and there has never been a particularly upmarket vehicle amongst them. On a couple of occasions I have ridden in them, a nice Toyota saloon or a fairly new pick up, but nothing special; driven by the nuns tested my faith - I rather wished I had my rosary beads with me!

3 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

Hang on a minute, I missed this due to your edit. I mean no disrespect if you are faithful, but from the perspective of someone that is not a spiritual man, I fail to see how the diocese in and of itself is not a business operation. We have to consider the balance sheet of the mother ship, no?

The school was set up 50 years ago to provide a secondary education to the Catholic hill tribe children of the province. It still does - the "scholarship children" from the Catholic hill tribe villages get a free (or almost free) boarding place. 

It is of course open to children from other faiths and none. They pay fees, but far from exhorbitant fees. They come from a wide variety of backgrounds, many are not particularly wealthy, Catholics get a discount. It is not owned by the nuns but by the diocese, the nuns run it on their behalf. I've been there seven years, and it has never been particularly profitable, in fact on several years it has been bailed out by the diocese. 

It certainly doesn't pay it's teachers very well!

As for the overall funding of the Church in Thailand, it is not particularly wealthy, and it's money comes I think mainly from investment and legacies (particularly land). A casual glance at the Cathedral, it's adjacent priests housing and the school buildings and facilities will show that!

The other "Catholic" school in the city is a straightforward business operation, making a profit for it's owners. Not a clerical collar or habit amongst them! Apart from being named for Our Lady, I wouldn't say it is particularly "Catholic".

Edited by herfiehandbag

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

It is not owned by the nuns but by the diocese, the nuns run it on their behalf.

My point exactly. I acknowledge your wider post, but my problem with it is that it doesn't matter to me whether or not the clergy are living a life of chastity (or not). I presume they are paid a stipend by the ecumenical council for their time at 'work', and even so, chastity or not, they still enjoy the mortal trappings of an executive lifestyle, like, ahem. . .

the Bishop has a new (there has only been a diocese for three years or so) middle of the range saloon car - albeit with a driver.

. . . a personal driver, ahem, ahem. I mix with a lot of wealthy people in Thailand, and only a few of them have their own driver. Now, I'm sure he deserves it for his rank and commitment to the business, which, is what it is in my view. You may view it differently of course, but it's normal for large business funnel money around to keep less profitable arms afloat, as is offering discounts to members to encourage new membership (i.e. the desire for monopoly). It's just a question of semantics but if you're happy with yours I'm cool.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly

15 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

It took me many years of frustration trying to find staff that can think, Eventually I realised I just need staff that do what they're told. Life has been much easier ever since.

The teaching assistant salary is a pittance. Would only just cover 3 servings of streetfood let alone accommodation or other costs. Saw no mention, in English, of whether housing was included or not.

I learnt way back in my early Thai days 2001 that there is no point in asking for a service or item that is not in the instruction book. "Mai dai" was the common answer to many requests. My frustration soon dissipated. Unfortunately it's not just Thailand that has this issue these days - staff in the UK don't seem to be able to think either. Making decisions is an issue too as they worry they will get it wrong. IMO the only thing worse in making a wrong decision is not making a decsion at all.

Could be there is some other purpose behind the posting. Perhaps they aren't expecting anyone to apply for the job, after which they receive some benefit. 

Many such job ads in the US. Ridiculous requirements, such as Master's degrees, years of experience, specialized training, with less than a fast food wage offered. Their purpose is for the companies to show the labor office "Look, we couldn't get anyone", allowing them to then apply for H1B visas, to import cheap and easily exploited immigrant workers.

On 12/23/2021 at 2:19 PM, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

You want to talk about nice cars, just take a look at what the senior figures in the Catholic Diocese of Chiang Rai drive around in. There's money in education (full disclosure, I send my son to a Catholic school)

My daughters went to a Catholic school and the parents protested about the corruption/theft at Bishop level. 

I worked at the oldest Catholic school 24 years ago and was amazed at the jaguars, benzes etc that dropped off the kids, Taksin's daughter was a student. The corruption at that school was unbelievable. 

6 hours ago, Neeranam said:

My daughters went to a Catholic school and the parents protested about the corruption/theft at Bishop level. 

I worked at the oldest Catholic school 24 years ago and was amazed at the jaguars, benzes etc that dropped off the kids, Taksin's daughter was a student. The corruption at that school was unbelievable. 

To quote the late great Father Ted. . . "The money was just resting in my account your holiness"