Anti Collaguant Medicine in Thailand

phutoie2

Just done 2 day stint in hospital, BKP, but not the Pattaya one. 

Have a very dysfunctional heart rhythm according to the 10 yo old looking Cardiologist. No fair dues, she was good. 

Up shot is start taking Xarelto 20mg, an hour before take something to settle stomach, Lansoprazole. 

UK NHS covers a lot of info on this type of medicine, one suggestion is to stop shaving with razor blades, and use electric shaver. 

Anyone take this medicine and suffered severe bleeding.... Thx

I would definitely agree about the shaving.  I take Clopidogrel (I think Rivaroxaban is similar in effect) and whilst any minor scratch or cut will bleed annoyingly for some minutes a shaving cut will not stop for hours.  I once cut myself shaving before leaving to fly to the UK and bled constantly for 23 hours.  I guess it does show the meds have some effect.

I've been taking 20mg Xarelto for many years already - had a DVT after a  long flight and due to working offshore using Warfarin wasn't a good option, so Xarelto it was and is.

Your doctor will follow up to check on any issues but no... shaving etc is not a problem for me and the occasional nose bleed stops pretty much the same as always, same as minor cuts etc - the good thing about Xarelto is no overdose issues (like death) from Warfarin and no need for regular clotting checks, no issues with diet affecting the warfarin and so on...

With this or any other anticoagulent there is a risk of bleeding which can be internal and gradual.

You need to be alert ro danger signs such as:

-- Bruises you can't explain or that seem much worse than they should be

-- Black stools or any apparent blood in stools (or vomit, or phlegm). In stools it will usually  just look dark or black, will not be obvious blood unless coming from low down in the GI system

-- Bleeding from your gums when brushing your teeth

-- Petechiae  (google for a picture)

There was a TV member recently who suffered severe hemorrhage related to anticoagulant med though I don't remember which one -- but can happen with any of them. 

Feeling very tired/easily fatigued can also be a warning sign as it might indicate anemia from gradual blood loss though of course it can other causes as well -- including cardiac causes

It is impirtant to let all doctors and dentists treatimg ypu know that you are on this medication. You may need to briefly stop taking it before dental or surgical procedures.

Xarelto does not treat heart rhythm per se. It helps prevent blood clots which are a risk from certain tupes of abnormal heart rhythms e.g. atrial fibrillation. I assume other meds were also given?

• Thanks 1

Thx for replies, all useful info. 

Sheryl, no extra meds for AF, but I do take medicine for HBP, which is under control. My O2 levels have been low for some time, readings always below 90. Cardio puts this down to diastolic dysfunction. 

I am due back for appointment on 29 Dec, BK Phitsanulok. 

I am one who made the change to electric from blade (and still hate it).  But at about 80 and taking Plavix seemed to be cutting myself more than normal (almost never before) so made the change on my own.  Was taking another medication, for cancer, at the time and had severe bleeding issues and stopped with that so expect might be able to shave with blade without too many issues now but have got used to the stubble feeling a bit so will continue.  Must say shavers made for Asia/cheap do not seen to work well for heavy beard and have to use Philips OneBlade to actually cut much.  Not smooth as a blade shave but at least not feel like a Brillo pad.