CNS Chairman Affirms Election To Be Held Despite Unrest

Jai Dee

thaksin was just one man.

my question to the the know-it-alls... will the people who voted for thaksin have a party to vote for? will the people from the old TRT party who were not banned be able to create a new party before the upcoming elections so that the people who voted for thaksin can still vote for a party they believe in?

if not, this upcoming election is BS.

I will send email to my country to tell people there that this election is a scam if the old TRT people who were not banned are not permitted to have a representative in the election.

you really think the usa is so stupid that they will invest here based on scam elections?

you know, it seems odd to me that the junta wants to develop trade relations with foreigners now. wasn't it not long ago the junta folks were complaining about thaksin being too friendly with foreign countries. and used this as one of the reasons why he should resign?

remember the shin sale to singapore?

and then, you have DTAC talking about an IPO. as we all know, DTAC is majority owned by telenor of norway.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you really think the usa is so stupid that they will invest here based on scam elections?

I'm not saying that the upcoming election will be a scam (because it won't), but it seems to be prefectly fine for the US to invest in the middle East and countries like Russia, China and Vietnam (and Singapore). :o

And by the way, yeah the ex TRT who were not banned can do form a party and run again. There's no rules against that.

Edited by ThaiGoon

I will send email to my country to tell people there that this election is a scam if the old TRT people who were not banned are not permitted to have a representative in the election.

LOL ... Nick ... you get funnier and funnier! <like watching a guy hit his head on the same place more than once!>

Just for the record and I dont want to be brought into a fight! The official line on what happens with the referendum seems to the new charter will be put to a referendum and if it passes it will become law. This looks a bit 50-50 right now. If it is not passed the CNS can choose from any of the previous constitutions, and ammend them if they want and it will then become the constitution of the land. What you propose is what some (maybe many) are in favour of, but that choice will not be given to the public at the referendum unless the CNS announce before the said referendum what constitution they will choose if the new charter falls.

Peace

Strange. I seem to remember that they will pick the last one to amend if the new one doesn't get passed. Hmmm. Perhaps I'm wrong.

And khun Jdinasia, true that krab. :o:D

I'm not saying that the upcoming election will be a scam (because it won't), but it seems to be prefectly fine for the US to invest in the middle East and countries like Russia, China and Vietnam (and Singapore). :o

And by the way, yeah the ex TRT who were not banned can do form a party and run again. There's no rules against that.

regarding the point about ex TRT being able to form a new party before the upcoming elections, I heard they won't be able to do so. but then, let's see what happens. maybe you are right.

as for investing in the countries you listed, like I said in a previous post, the usa still needs to learn a lesson. and I think they are doing so. especially with the compulsory licenses going on, and the big illegal immigrant debates.

..just a matter of time.

already, the shrimpers are sounding out. I wonder who will follow? IBM, Ford?

LOL ... Nick ... you get funnier and funnier! <like watching a guy hit his head on the same place more than once!>

I so hate to ever agree with JD but....LOL

The USA can't figure out how to count votes, why would they care about Thailand's election, no matter how strange it's going to be.

hey bro. keep it coming. you may not believe it. ..but I appreciate your type of comments. I think foreigners including americans need to know the mentality of the people in the countries that they are investing in OR thinking of investing in.

actually, I like the anti-american bashing that was so prevalent on this board not too long ago.

LOL nick ... you forget I AM an American .... just smarter than someone thinking his email to the country is going to be more meaningful than maybe an embassy report :o <or cnn etc etc>

regarding the point about ex TRT being able to form a new party before the upcoming elections, I heard they won't be able to do so. but then, let's see what happens. maybe you are right.

as for investing in the countries you listed, like I said in a previous post, the usa still needs to learn a lesson. and I think they are doing so. especially with the compulsory licenses going on, and the big illegal immigrant debates.

..just a matter of time.

already, the shrimpers are sounding out. I wonder who will follow? IBM, Ford?

The issue with those unbanned ex TRT right now is not whether they can run for a seat in the house of representatives , but whether or not they can reuse the name TRT for their new party.

And how do illegal immigrants in the US have anything to do with Thailand? :D You are probably just like your current president. :D "Email my country.." :o

the question is of time ..........................

To complete my previous post, and to put things in perspectives.

GENERAL ELECTIONS

Total votes cast : 28,62 millions votes

TRT 11,63 millions 248 seats

Demo 7,6 millions 128 seats

Total votes cast : 32,34 millions votes

TRT 14,07 millions 377 seats

Demo 4,01 millions 96

(or 18.8 and 7.06 millions for TRT and demo, with other sources)

Total votes cast 29,08 millions

TRT 16,42 millions

http://psephos.adam-carr.net/countries/t/thailand/

I have not been following on the new constitution but generally I do expect this one the be better than the last. Each time one is drafted it evolves. In my opinion the Junta wants to do what is right, and so far the decisions would have been the ones I would have made being in the best interest of the country less the censorship . So given that this constitution should have some teeth so the wannabe Thaksin’s will think twice before doing.

Back on topic, with this statement someone would certainly need to try hard to find negatives in this.

cclub75 I like you post however it is a bit deceptive because it is only one corner of the picture. Although the numbers may be real, Thaksin controlled the media and from memory it was about a 7 :1 ratio of news coverage from TRT to democrats and even a worse ratio to other parties. So it was not a even playing field from the word go. I suspect if it were fair the numbers would be very different. I don’t know if the Democrats would have one the elections, but certainly much closer. I also know that prior to the TRT things were in rough shape, and that translates to “if you can’t do the job get out.” so the first election may have been more realistic. However that was before my arrival, so just a short what I heard.

Gen. Boonsarng indicates some groups are trying to stir up chaos

The Supreme Commander and Council for National Security (CNS) member Gen Boonsarng Neampradit (บุญสร้าง เนียมประดิษฐ์) indicates that some groups are trying to create conflict amongst Thais.

In response to news concerning allegations that the now defunct Thai Rak Thai will be organizing rallies in protest against the CNS, Gen. Boonsarng said that state authorities have already prepared themselves for the worse. He also believes the protestors’ demonstration will abide by the law. At the same time, he has urged Thais to stay in harmony for the sake of peace in the country.

Gen. Sonthi shrugs off news saying that authorities have been instructed to track the former deputy leader of Thai Rak Thai, Khunying Sudarat Keyurapun (สุดารัตน์ เกยุราพันธุ์).

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 08 June 2007

CNS Chairman indicates village headmen can help bring peace

The Royal Thai Army Commander-in-Chief and Council for National Security (CNS) Chairman, Gen. Sonthi Boonyaratglin, said village headmen should help make people understand the current national situation and prevent political movements from happening.

This afternoon (Jun 8), Gen. Sonthi presided over the seminar with district-chief officers and village headmen from the lower northern region of Thailand. The seminar was held at Naresuan University in Phitsanulok province.

Gen. Sonthi commented on political movements in local communities, saying village headmen are well respected by the local villagers and they could help explain the actual situation of the country to them. However, he said some village headmen may be influenced by certain politicians. He said they must make people realize that the country is based on righteousness and democracy.

The CNS Chairman says the elected village headmen will be in the post for a period of five years, and they will retire when they are 60 years old. Since they are civil servants, they would receive remunerations and be promoted for higher education.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 08 June 2007

prevent political movements from happening.

:o

It appears that our dear CNS chairman has some difficulties to understand that pluralism is one of the most important features of a functioning democracy, and that "social cohesiveness" and "unity" is authoritarian even if it is labeled democracy by some.

I don't understand all the rage about elections. Is it a good thing or bad? How many times people have said here that the elections is the climax of democracy? How many people asked for immediate elections based on resurrected 1997 consitution?

Yet when election is actually promised these same people predict only trouble.

Ccclub, I don't think you covered all possible outcomes of the elections, you covered only all that lead to chaos.

I think if you agree on a basic premise that TRT was a collection of localised factions united by Thaksin and kept together by those 111 execs, then it's not unnatural to imagine that the former MPs will simply find another party to sponsor them. After all they are the ones who actually get the votes and seats in parlament.

In order to accomodate them the elections might be postponed, however. I can imagine what kind of response it would get here, probably by the same people who now lament exclusion of these former MPs from running.

There definitely won't be a one party government but I don't see the repeat of factious parliament of the mid-nineties either. For one thing there's always the military to keep politicians on their toes, another thing is that they have learned that they can steal much much more if they work together.

The only trouble makers are the banned execs who rebel against the court verdict. There should be no compromise with those. You give them hand they will bite the arm off.

Khunying Sudarat asks police for protection from mysterious stalkers

The Thai Rak Thai Party former executive member, Khunying Sudarat Keyuraphan, asks the interim Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police, Pol. Gen. Seripisuth Temiyavej, for protection as she alleges that an unidentified group of people is stalking her.

Khunying Sudarat met Pol. Gen. Seripisuth today (Jun 8), and asks him to provide her and her family protection as a mysterious group of people is following her. She says Pol. Gen. Seripisuth has agreed to investigate this case and unveil this unidentified group. Pol. Gen. Seripisuth has also agreed to provide police officers to protect Khunying Sudarat and her family, especially her son.

Khunying Sudarat says she has not created disorder in the society or postponed the general election. However, she does not want people to assume that the army is behind such action, but she would like to know their intention. She says if the Council for National Security (CNS) is suspicious of this case, she would be ready to cooperate with the CNS.

Khunying Sudarat says she will later send a letter to CNS Chairman Sonthi Boonyaratglin so he can examine whether the stalkers are army officials or not.

Meanwhile, Metropolitan Police Commissioner Adisorn Nonsee says he has not assigned police officials to track any Thai Rak Thai core member.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 09 June 2007

Royal Thai Police assigns Special Branch to monitor former TRT MPs

The Royal Thai Police Special Branch Division 1 has been instructed to conduct surveillance on former Thai Rak Thai Members of Parliament due to security concerns.

Royal Thai Police Special Branch Division 1 Inspector Pol Lt Col Natthasate Sarimarn (ณัฐเศรษฐ์ สาริมาน ) revealed that Special Branch Commissioner Pol Lt Gen Rapeepat Parawong na Ayutthaya has instructed his division to closely monitor the movement of former Thai Rak Thai Members of Parliament to Nonthaburi and Samut Prakan provinces due to concerns that these political figures may gather demonstrators and march into Bangkok to reinforce Thaksin supporters and government opposition groups.

Pol Lt Col Natthasate reports that a former Thai Rak Thai Member of Parliament to Ang Thong province is also being monitored for similar reasons. The Special Branch Inspector added that authorities are also concerned over Thammakai Temple monk and religious demonstrators, as well as university student demonstrators.

Democrat Party leader asks CNS Chairman to adhere to rationale and science

The Democrat Party leader, Mr. Abhisit Vejjajiva, believes that the Chairman of the Council for National Security (CNS), Gen. Sonthi Boonyaratglin, should use logical and scientifically sound methods to solve the national problems.

Mr. Abhisit comments on reports which indicated that Gen. Sonthi will be meeting a fortune teller to ask for assistance in solving the nation's political issues. Mr. Abhisit expresses his belief that the CNS Chairman should adhere to scientific principles and use rationale in his work.

The Democrat Party Leader admits that the national situation may lead some people to depend on superstition. Mr. Abhisit expresses his hope that Thailand's leaders will not base their policy on occult sciences, and asked that all parties assist in resolving the nation's crisis in order to rejuvenate democracy and peace.

Royal Thai Police assigns Special Branch to monitor former TRT MPs

like I suggested , Mr Big ain't gotta direct this type of thing personally ..............

makes a mockery of his assertion that he's not though ................................................

Many fear delay in election date

The latest Suan Dusit Rajabhat University survey has found that nearly half of all respondents believe that the critically important general election scheduled to be held this December will be delayed.

Better known as the Suan Dusit Poll, the survey interviewed 3,174 persons in 12 provinces nationwide between June 4-10. The largest number of respondents, nearly half, or 44 per cent, said the election will be delayed, and a somewhat smaller proportion, 41 per cent, believe it will be held as scheduled. Less than 7 per cent saw that it taking place earlier than December.

The Post Publishing Public Co

what does it prove ??

what does it show , a country split in 2.

The bone is - who elects the PM - the senate or directly and some other complications around it.

The battered, impotent, incompetent and despised junta is worried with what they have done - laughed at all over the planet. Their deed is - bringing a healthy country back into the spiral of intermittent coups and weak civil governments, an elephant in an glass house. Looks to me they are not set to be Burma like thugs.

Hope they wish to get out of the mess they have caused. Could be, they know that too.

The junta said, if the referendum (to endorse non-directly elected PM) fails , they will use the 1997. one.

To keep the schedule on track.

And, it has spilled down to my very home's doorstep. My wife and kid could not come back from the Makka Bucha holiday for 4 days. The junta ordered all minivan and non-scheduled buses to stop their trade. Not to bring more T's supporters into BKK.

Edited by think_too_mut