Thailand reports 2,766 new COVID-19 cases, 30 deaths, 3,805 recoveries

webfact

COV24.jpg

File photo

Thailand on Saturday (December 25) reported 2,766 new COVID-19 cases, 3,805 recoveries and 30 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

▶︎ Infections outside prisons: 2,709. Prisons: 57

▶︎ Recoveries: 3,805

▶︎ Total infections since April 1: 2,178,575

▶︎ Total recoveries since April 1: 2,121,331

Saturday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 2,207,438 with 21,558 deaths.

The news comes as Thailand’s Disease Control Department (DCD) is in the process of obtaining information from Oxford University’s lab study, which shows that a three-dose course of AstraZeneca vaccine is effective against the rapidly spreading Omicron variant.

Dr. Opart Karnkawinpong, head of the DCD, said today (Friday) that Oxford University’s report will be studied by the immune enhancement committee, which comprises vaccine experts, to determine whether Thailand’s vaccination regimen should be adjusted to three AstraZeneca doses, instead of two, and a booster of Pfizer.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update25DEC).png

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2021-12-25

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

Christmas morning here in Bangkok, many folks out and about. Cases have risen just a little which is another anomaly, but the prison cases from a week ago still have never been added to the tally.

Let's see how long until the government reviews Oxfords paper on a Third AZ jab and see if they go that way instead of using a Pfizer jab as a booster 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

The numbers have been nice news in recent times. Hard to phantom why places such as Vietnam are so out of step with Thailand.

Here is a paragraph from ABC news Australia, today.....

"There were 6,288 new COVID-19 infections recorded in NSW in the 24 hours to 8pm on Friday.

The state recorded no deaths, with 388 patients in hospital with the virus.

There are 52 people currently in intensive care, one less than the previous day.

NSW has also reported 95 per cent of residents aged 16 and over have got their first vaccine shot".

What stands out to me is a state such as NSW (population ~ 8 mil) records over 6k new cases and has a high vaccination rate.

Again very much out of step with Thailand.

All eyes on the situation in early 2022. 

Unrelated observation..... currently on Koh Samet and there are tourists here. In chatting with a few of them surprised that some have come for 3-4 weeks.

Also that two separate groups had arrived unvaccinated and went through the 10 day quarantine. 

Had very strong views about vaccination. I skipped the chat pretty quickly.

I think NSW has had a very quick explosion of numbers due to Omicron, a couple of nightclub clusters and it's away. All over Australia the numbers have increased rapidly this week. Bodes well for my trip in less than 3 weeks. Still quarantine free into Sydney, long may it last.

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The numbers have been nice news in recent times. Hard to phantom why places such as Vietnam are so out of step with Thailand.

Here is a paragraph from ABC news Australia, today.....

"There were 6,288 new COVID-19 infections recorded in NSW in the 24 hours to 8pm on Friday.

The state recorded no deaths, with 388 patients in hospital with the virus.

There are 52 people currently in intensive care, one less than the previous day.

NSW has also reported 95 per cent of residents aged 16 and over have got their first vaccine shot".

What stands out to me is a state such as NSW (population ~ 8 mil) records over 6k new cases and has a high vaccination rate.

Again very much out of step with Thailand.

All eyes on the situation in early 2022. 

Unrelated observation..... currently on Koh Samet and there are tourists here. In chatting with a few of them surprised that some have come for 3-4 weeks.

Also that two separate groups had arrived unvaccinated and went through the 10 day quarantine. 

Had very strong views about vaccination. I skipped the chat pretty quickly.

Looks out of step these countries but then all down to testing numbers. Well known Thailand only really tests those turning up at hospital and arrivals into the kingdom. ATK probably only some reported. I suspect most people with ATK and get a positive will not report, maybe tell close friends and maybe self isolate at home if only mild symptoms. Remember if you test positive in Thailand it's more than likely 2 weeks state incarceration, not exactly a carrot to report a positive test.

• Like 1