AIS 2Gbps fiber internet, anyone?

muratremix

3 hours ago, Henryford said:

Well i am getting my 1 Gbps from 3BB at the same price as i paid for 500, or 300, or 100 in the past. If it's free why not?

it's the same "free" as in "buy a car & get free T-shirt".

Of course 1 mb/s ADSL and 56 kb/s modem connections were more expensive than 100 mbps today, it is the evolution of technology and competition that drives speeds up and prices down. But I'm talking about pushing services that are not actually needed and even misleadingly advertised - in fact you are getting 10 to 100 times lower speeds than advertised.

Check this: https://www.speedtest.net/result/995529359.png   (this is a real speedtest result from my old ISP)

A homework for you: answer how could I have a gigabit connection at home 12 years ago (no, I did not work for that company)

Edited by fdsa

2 hours ago, muratremix said:

5Gbe requires Active fiber and don't hold your horses for such service anytime soon.

Monthly tariff of 2Gbps on AIS is not expensive with BYOD, it is on par with others. Well, maybe 99 baht + vat more expensive (1299 thb + vat)

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Yeah, no clue what you're on about there?

I was referring to 5G, which is a newer mobile data access technology currently offering a solution in search of a requirement.

Once my cat videos are published and streamed in Fur-o-Vision I'm probably all set for now.

Comparing spectrum limited 5G to fiber internet is a bit dumb if you ask me.

7 hours ago, muratremix said:

I guess some people just want internet speeds to stay same forever. IT conservatism??

One sentence: Competition is always better.

AWS doesn't have a bandwidth limit, ISPs enforce speed throttling to prevent network abuse. They are not the same thing.

traffic between AWS hosts would not be limited, but as soon as you serve clients outside AWS, you will never get the max speed one way or the other

at the same time, we don't really need it.

51 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

traffic between AWS hosts would not be limited, but as soon as you serve clients outside AWS, you will never get the max speed one way or the other

at the same time, we don't really need it.

You can increase number of connections to saturate the link. Troughput reduces over distance (latency) even without ISP throttling. This is network 101.

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

No one was asking you.

Nor was anyone "comparing spectrum", whatever that is?

Google "5G spectrum" and educate yourself.

If you think 2gbps internet is pointless, why bother responding to this thread? 

51 minutes ago, muratremix said:

You can increase number of connections to saturate the link. Troughput reduces over distance (latency) even without ISP throttling. This is network 101.

you will saturate the host NICs first before saturating the network backbone, that's how you do it for single DoS attacks

in a distributed DoS, you would saturate the network backbone of the targeted host, hence why all ISPs and cloud providers will cap ingress bandwidth to make sure they can take back control in a case of DoS

2 hours ago, muratremix said:

Google "5G spectrum" and educate yourself

I bet you were the first person to update your phone so you could make use of 20 Gbps, you just never know when you need to watch 8 16K movies on a 5 inch screen at the same time, you just never know (snigger)

Troughput reduces over distance (latency) even without ISP throttling. This is network 101

Looking at cost of networking equipment right now, at the price they're going even if I run a small hotel with 20-80 guests, or small business with a handful of employee it's hard to justify the cost of equipment from new network card in every machine or new m/b, access point/ router to take advantage of the extra speed, it's hard to justify the speed increase right now... and for the lone user? 

I suppose it's fine if you're not paying anything extra to get it

16 hours ago, digbeth said:

Looking at cost of networking equipment right now, at the price they're going even if I run a small hotel with 20-80 guests, or small business with a handful of employee it's hard to justify the cost of equipment from new network card in every machine or new m/b, access point/ router to take advantage of the extra speed, it's hard to justify the speed increase right now... and for the lone user? 

I suppose it's fine if you're not paying anything extra to get it

Unless you need 2Gbps in one PC, you don't need a new router. Having 1500 or 2000 Mbps for the price of 1000 Mbps is a thing people should celebrate. I don't understand all these opposition about how "Unnecessary it is".

For 20-80 guests, they'll get the benefit one way or another as they are sharing same pipe.

17 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

I bet you were the first person to update your phone so you could make use of 20 Gbps, you just never know when you need to watch 8 16K movies on a 5 inch screen at the same time, you just never know (snigger)

Who cares about 20 Gbps on a mobile phone <deleted>?

FYI I'm getting 500Mbps+ on a single file download (sync) from Google drive to my NAS. That's on 3BB 1000/1000 package.

• 1 month later...
On 1/9/2022 at 12:23 AM, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

I'm an IT consultant and I take my connectivity pretty seriously. We also run a large hotel (where my home office is located). Even when we're full, over 200 rooms, I don't think I ever saw usage peak over 1 Gbps. I have 4 fibre lines for redundancy and a 4G backup gateway of last resort. The aggregate speed of all these connections is something like 4 Gbps. Even when the hotel is full and I'm moving massive files over the network between offices, I struggle to saturate the lines. . . I'll say it again, anyone that thinks they need 2.5 Gbps at home needs their head examining. It's bonkers stupid.

Most hotels have bad wifi.  What speed are your guests actually getting?  

Personally, and we have a few customers who have asked, we still recommend two separate 1 Gbps lines from two separate companies. Mostly AIS and 3BB. This gives the increased flexibility when one LoS goes red.

Note that this doesn't help with a loss of power (electricity). ????

So I'd rather have two 1 Gbps lines, and I do, than one single 2.5 Gbps line. 

I don't have any devices with > GbE connections.

Some long-time customers have negotiated amazing deals, so from the same provider some pay 399 (428) for 1,000/500, while others pay 899 (963) for the exact same package from the same provider.

You usually see these 2.5/5/10 GbE interfaces on gaming-centric Main Boards, so maybe it's a thing somewhere (Korea?).

Edited by mtls2005

AIS expanded it's coverage to 24 or 26 provinces for 2gbps, so it is feasible to get 2000/500 with BYOD plan for 1299 baht/month now. The problem is, lack of routers that supports 2.5G wan + 2.5g lan at the same time. Some routers support LAN aggravation with 2x1Gbit ports, and some can deliver 2gbps via Wifi 6 at 160mhz channels.

1 hour ago, muratremix said:

AIS expanded it's coverage to 24 or 26 provinces for 2gbps, so it is feasible to get 2000/500 with BYOD plan for 1299 baht/month now. The problem is, lack of routers that supports 2.5G wan + 2.5g lan at the same time. Some routers support LAN aggravation with 2x1Gbit ports, and some can deliver 2gbps via Wifi 6 at 160mhz channels.

AIS router HG8145X6 doesn't allow 160mhz option. Is it allowed in Thailand? 

787947300_2022-02-26(2).png.4ab1ef807b0944aea7a37a710a221e0a.png

On 2/25/2022 at 12:01 AM, nomadinvestor said:

Most hotels have bad wifi.  What speed are your guests actually getting?  

Guests are presently limited to 30 Mbps down, 10 Mbps up. . . So like most people that don't have a clue how it all works you'd class ours as 'bad wifi'. The internet is fast and responsive for all of them. Most of the hotels that have 'bad wifi' have bad wifi because they're NOT imposing any limits on speed or traffic segregation, so some 15 year old in the next room uploading all their snapshots to some iCloud all night is bringing everyone else down. Or, you're clinging onto some WiFi signal 50 metres away through 5 walls because the 'hotel' read on the box that the AP "works up to 200 metres away".

The only QoS we are doing is VoIP and video, video being on a tier below VoIP. We also run our own DNS resolver and NAT all guest queries to our own resolver. Gusts may think they're using 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 or whatever, but they only think they are, they're not, they're getting NATted to my resolver. This enables me to spy on people's DNS queries and impose blocklists. I also run a trip wire on any DNS over HTTPS canary domains to make them gracefully failover to standard DNS, making any attempts to circumvent these NATs fail. This helps keep my network free from malware traffic (guests ALWAYS bring their own malware). I also do a little Layer 7 DPI to keep torrents off the network. . .

"Oh no, I can't torrent on this free hotel wifi. . . BAD HOTEL WIFI!"

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly

• 5 months later...

Don't bother with AIS. Their advertised superrr fibre speeds are only  available in Thailand (in the best case). When accessing the international internet, they throttle your connection severely. Don't say... but Netflix and YouTube work sooo fast. Yup local content distribution servers...

Edited by Blablaat
  • Sad 1