Thailand unveils plans to cope with Omicron COVID variant outbreak

snoop1130

9 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

I think like that occasionally.

I'm more worried about our two young children.

Omicron is showing that its effecting younger children worse.

"Omicron variant may cause spike in hospitalizations of children, reports say"

https://www.deseret.com/coronavirus/2021/12/27/22855526/omicron-variant-hospitalizations-children-california-new-york

Hospitals in Thailand won't be able to cope if it hits 15,000 cases a day.

Either I don't think many more people able to travel in the coming weeks.  Its not going to be up to the government.

It'll depend on how much this variant ravages the health sector.

I think there letting everyone travel outside of Bangkok for the holidays then  they'll seal it so nobody can get back in.

It's not hard to get confused, depending on what you read as they differ, e.g. https://www.whattoexpect.com/first-year/health/covid-19-omicron-variant-kids

I hope they don't us down again as I cancelled our holidays last April, now booked for late January, kids will be shattered.

The above said, as 5 of us are vaccinated, I would think the 7 year old would have some kind of immunity around us, but when at school, well that is a different story.

21 minutes ago, PumpkinEater said:

It is been shown that Omicron is a milder flu like illness.

Let it spread and and complete a herd immunity scenario.

I had three family members w the covid, and they had very mild to lay in bed for five days sickness…now walking around just fine. The premise that we are all to die from this is false!

Instead of this useless testing that they do (as you can contract the illness immediately AFTER a negative test), they should test people for natural antibodies and see if they are protected. Why inject yourself with the antibody when you may naturally have it from a possible asymptomatic exposure  There should be a choice of an antibody test or covid test and vaccines.

At this point with the non lethal Omicron, I really think this is a huge overreaction by the CDC and governments. They are throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks. 4 shots!??? Cmon already!

Masks?! While riding a motorbike and at the beaches? Cmon people get real!

Obviously if a person is vulnerable they should get protected as much as possible, but to mandate the healthy to uncompromising and illogical actions is really unjust.

1. Let Omicron complete herd immunity.

2. Test for your antibodies in liu of a vaccine mandate, you may already be protected.

3. Release us from these crazy masks

4. If you are afraid or vulnerable at this point, vaccinate, stay inside, order in, have home delivery until herd immunity is acheived….and oh, stock up on those Pfizer amd Merk pills $$$!

I was a “believer” in the fear, but now w the mild Omicron have turned into a common sense “lets get over it already” for the healthy. 

Cheers!

Big money at work here…?

Crazy talk. 

Let's say that Omicron is 50% as deadly as Delta, but more transmissable. So, let's say 10 million unvaccinated get Omicron in the next few months. That's 50,000 dead in the next few months, if they try herd immunity. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Have you gotten your booster yet?

I'm going to Bangkok for Moderna on the 11th.

You were really helpful when I couldn't find Pfeizer months ago.

Happy New Year!

I am not due till March, i.e. 6 months for those of us who have had the mRNA vaccines, although someone did say they are now doing it at 3 months, although that was in the UK so doesn't apply here, yet.

Glad to of been able to help.

Same to you, let's hope it's better than the last 2 New Years, phycological wise.

8 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Crazy talk. 

Let's say that Omicron is 50% as deadly as Delta, but more transmissable. So, let's say 10 million unvaccinated get Omicron in the next few months. That's 50,000 dead in the next few months, if they try herd immunity. 

Um, he makes some good points and there is no evidence that Omicron is as deadly as Delta, the evidence points to it being much milder with at least 50% less hospital admissions and quicker recoveries. This is nature at work, we have done what we can to protect everyone for 2 years at great expense which will be passed on for generations, crash is on the way, so best to get back to normal as quick as possible to rebuild while it is less deadly, that or allow it to mutate again with lockdowns to a more deadly strain.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, connda said:

You are vaccinated and yet you are afraid of contracting Covid?  Why?  You're safe.  Most the the world leaders said if you get the vaccines you won't get Covid.  Only the unvaccinated spread Covid.  Are you unvaccinated?  No? So you have nothing to worry about.  Test and quarantines should be a thing of the past for clean, vaccinated people!  I hate it when people spread conspiracy theories that the fully vaccinated get Covid no less spread it. 
It's an "epidemic of the unvaccinated."  All vaccinated citizens are "Safe!"  Stop spreading lies and rumors.  You'll create a panic. 
Vaccinated = Completely Safe!

Disagree, I had 2 Pfizer vaccins and tested positive coming from the North of Thailand which ended up with 10 days home quarantaine. So you're not safe!????

6 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Whatever plan they come up with it can only be better than the just do as you please plan England came up with. At least the rest of the UK has some sensible management whilst England had 113,000 case today.

English people with their own mind had the best plan: totally ignore all the propaganda and get on with with your life. It’s no worse than the common cold, which along with the flu has seemingly been eradicated ???????? 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Trip Hop said:

A totally short sighted and narrow minded opinion if ever I’ve heard one?

This virus is going to be with us in one form or another for quite a few years yet and if it doesn’t burn itself out, the only way out of it is eventually achieving herd immunity. However whilst this will take some time, with the use of vaccines and controlled periods of exposure, it is achievable. The virus will mutate and spread regardless, whether it be through controlled/uncontrolled migration or possibly even a home grown Thailand mutation? Therefore to lockdown indefinitely is just delaying the inevitable whilst killing the economy.

What they should have done is stopped thinking that they are far superior to every other nation in the world, acknowledged the seriousness of the virus earlier and invested in some decent vaccines a lot sooner than they did?

Omicron has put the lie to the herd immunity by infection solution. Without widespread vaccination, more variants will appear. We need to get to the point where vaccines and medicines control outbreaks while upgrading early detection in countries or labs where these zoonotic viruses are likely to arise.

1 hour ago, PumpkinEater said:

It is been shown that Omicron is a milder flu like illness.

Let it spread and and complete a herd immunity scenario.

I had three family members w the covid, and they had very mild to lay in bed for five days sickness…now walking around just fine. The premise that we are all to die from this is false!

Instead of this useless testing that they do (as you can contract the illness immediately AFTER a negative test), they should test people for natural antibodies and see if they are protected. Why inject yourself with the antibody when you may naturally have it from a possible asymptomatic exposure  There should be a choice of an antibody test or covid test and vaccines.

At this point with the non lethal Omicron, I really think this is a huge overreaction by the CDC and governments. They are throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks. 4 shots!??? Cmon already!

Masks?! While riding a motorbike and at the beaches? Cmon people get real!

Obviously if a person is vulnerable they should get protected as much as possible, but to mandate the healthy to uncompromising and illogical actions is really unjust.

1. Let Omicron complete herd immunity.

2. Test for your antibodies in liu of a vaccine mandate, you may already be protected.

3. Release us from these crazy masks

4. If you are afraid or vulnerable at this point, vaccinate, stay inside, order in, have home delivery until herd immunity is acheived….and oh, stock up on those Pfizer amd Merk pills $$$!

I was a “believer” in the fear, but now w the mild Omicron have turned into a common sense “lets get over it already” for the healthy. 

Cheers!

Big money at work here…?

I can't help thinking that "herd immunity" by infection to resolve Covid was dreamed up by economists! It is sad that this train of thought lingers on these pages after so many millions of deaths. It is unlikely that Omicron will be the last variant of concern, and what will the next one do to us? Having been infected by the fairly innocuous Omicron will not do much for future immunity. Masks will remain de rigeur for a while.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Whatever plan they come up with it can only be better than the just do as you please plan England came up with. At least the rest of the UK has some sensible management whilst England had 113,000 case today.

So getting closer to herd immunity every day.

Omicron is a upper respiratory illness which is milder. 

The issue with the previous strains were that they were lower respiratory which was obviously more deadly (bronchitis and pneumonia)

Let's just carry on with being a little cautious but it's time to come out from behind the sofa.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sametboy2019 said:

Omicron is a upper respiratory illness which is milder. 

The issue with the previous strains were that they were lower respiratory which was obviously more deadly (bronchitis and pneumonia)

Let's just carry on with being a little cautious but it's time to come out from behind the sofa.

We don't know the whole story yet. We have not seen the impact of all those cases in the UK. 

Too early to tell. 

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

Crazy talk. 

Instead of spreading misinformation why don't you post some actual data about how many have died from this in countries that have had it and are going through it?   There is no need to make up fantasy numbers when there is actual data available.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I am not a fan of the confused presentation the devolved government responsibilities has created in the UK. Some are showboating. The best front to present would be a united one.  

There is only one person in the UK presenting confusion and hopefully that will not  last for much longer.

Beware the Ides of January.

14 minutes ago, James105 said:

Instead of spreading misinformation why don't you post some actual data about how many have died from this in countries that have had it and are going through it?   There is no need to make up fantasy numbers when there is actual data available.  

The data so far is not really usable. We don't know how many deaths are due to Omicron or lingering Delta. Maybe no one will die from Omicron, we don't know. 

The UK just now has experienced very high numbers of cases, let's see how this develops over the next week. 

Edited by Danderman123

37 minutes ago, roquefort said:

So getting closer to herd immunity every day.

Wishful  thinking. The common cold is a corona virus why is there no herd immunity?

“There are some people who have the notion that after you’ve gotten a natural infection, you will be permanently protected against COVID-19 as if this were measles. But the two viruses that cause these infections are very, very different. The coronavirus protection wanes naturally after a period of time,” Schaffner told Healthline.

Because COVID-19 is caused by a coronavirus, which the type of virus the common cold is also caused by, he said researchers have an understanding of how other coronaviruses behave, which may help understand immunity for COVID-19.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/how-long-does-immunity-last-after-covid-19-what-we-know#Hownatural-immunity-works-after-COVID-19-develops

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

The data so far is not really usable. We don't know how many deaths are due to Omicron or lingering Delta. Maybe no one will die from Omicron, we don't know. 

The UK just now has experienced very high numbers of cases, let's see how this develops over the next week. 

Ok so you don't know.   Maybe when posting on here you would be better off saying that you don't know rather than making up random numbers to suit the narrative you have bought into?   Or if you insist on posting numbers, maybe take a look at a country with less than half the vaccination rate of Thailand, that did not implement any additional restrictions, whose scientists shouted from the rooftops that Omnicrom was mild and countries should not panic, and has the actual data to back it up.   That country being South Africa of course.    First case discovered 8 Nov and peaked 28 Nov so there is no need to wait and see as we already know, hence the reason England is not going into any kind of lockdown for new year.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Trip Hop said:

You’re not honestly serious are you? Take Wales for example, the only place that I know of that you can get fined for actually going to work but it’s ok for the work shy and the ones that milk the state to sit in the pub all day, as long as there’s not more than 6 of them sat together? ????????????

Stop reading the Daily Fail

2 hours ago, Kal I Sin its fun said:

English people with their own mind had the best plan: totally ignore all the propaganda and get on with with your life. It’s no worse than the common cold, which along with the flu has seemingly been eradicated ???????? 

Yeah that plan’s going really well, new records every day 

"Wishful  thinking. The common cold is a corona virus why is there no herd immunity? "

The fact that the common cold no longer causes people to die or even get seriously ill suggests that there is some form of herd immunity.

The research you've quoted states that immunity from Covid  lasts from 3 months to 5 years. So as the majority of the population get infected and build both natural and vaccine-induced immunity, we are moving towards a scenario like the flu where an annual booster jab for the most vulnerable will likely provide sufficient protection. I'm certainly not suggesting that the Covid virus will disappear, but that its effects will become manageable, and infection with a milder variant like Omicron brings us closer to that point.

Edited by roquefort

2 hours ago, Kal I Sin its fun said:

Yeah that plan’s going really well, new records every day 

1 hour ago, roquefort said:

Do you have any scientific basis for this comment? Research studies etc Or is it just pure conjecture?

Obviously there is not yet a scientific study specific to the durability of antibodies generated by the unvaccinated who were infected with Omicron. Just yesterday an authority on Coronaviridae sent me an explanation of the durability of antibodies in newborns from the mother. I was planning to send him my entire comment, so I'll add your reply for what it's worth. If and when I get a reply I'll let you know.

For a starter, his comment yesterday relates somewhat to your questions:

"Antibodies have an exponential (logarithmic) decay with a half-life of about a month, so how long babies are protected depends heavily on how much antibody mothers have (and also on how much (that is, what concentration of) antibody is needed for protection.  Babies will start life with levels essentially the same as their mothers’.  Protection against measles (which is very sensitive to antibody) lasts about 8 months to a year.  I suspect COVID would be shorter since antibody is likely less protective than against measles."

I had sent him a link on a preprint comparing antibodies in babies born from vaccinated vs unvaccinated moms. 

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.11.17.21266415v1.full

The conclusion was that 8% of babies from unvaccinated mothers had antibodies detected after 6 months, versus 60% of babies in the vaccinated mom group. 

47 minutes ago, roquefort said:

"Wishful  thinking. The common cold is a corona virus why is there no herd immunity? "

The fact that the common cold no longer causes people to die or even get seriously ill suggests that there is some form of herd immunity.

The research you've quoted states that immunity from Covid  lasts from 3 months to 5 years. So as the majority of the population get infected and build both natural and vaccine-induced immunity, we are moving towards a scenario like the flu where an annual booster jab for the most vulnerable will likely provide sufficient protection. I'm certainly not suggesting that the Covid virus will disappear, but that its effects will become manageable, and infection with a milder variant like Omicron brings us closer to that point.

I don't know where you get this misinformation. Please look in reliable sources. At some point the immune system may respond to a cold, but by then you may have infected people who would not appreciate your gift.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Letseng said:

Although I came via test&go I do not think this is a safe route. There should be 5 days min quarantine for all to cover incubation period. On day 6 get pcr test. Forget LFT. Too unreliable.

Then why didnt you take the ASQ 7 day plan. ? You wouldnt feel so bad.