Extension of Stay based on Retirement

Sorry I am not explaining myself to well, if I apply in Australia need the insurance , medical certificate , criminal record check 

but if I come to Thailand on a 30 day exempt , change over to 90mday non-o , then after 60 days apply for 12 month extension based on retirement (not OA), then while in Thailand do I need to produce a criminal record from Australia not more than 3 months old and notarised ( which would hard to get as I am in Thailand ) to thai immigration to get either the 90 day non-o or the 12 month extension based on retirement 

2.so if applying Thailand I can get around not having to have insurance ?

‘I have asked the guy requesting advice about his longer term plans.

If it was just for a 12 month or 2 year stay then that brings the Non O-A back into being good option.

If we knew that exit and reentry was going to be simple in 12 months time, then obtaining 2 years out of a Non O-A seems good option. 

Edited just now by DrJack54

intnetion is to retire there on long term basis 

3 minutes ago, darrenr said:

do I need to produce a criminal record from Australia not more than 3 months old and notarised ( which would hard to get as I am in Thailand ) to thai immigration to get either the 90 day non-o or the 12 month extension based on retirement 

2.so if applying Thailand I can get around not having to have insurance

No. That is for Non O-A.

Yes no insurance required apart from the covid insurance.

You stated in next post that your plan is ongoing retirement in Thailand.

In that case scrap the idea of non O-A.

My advice is to obtain non O in Oz (,if possible) then open a bank account when you arrive in Thailand and as you outline obtain you 12 month extension in last 30 days of your 90 day entry permit.

OR..

Enter visa exempt and obtain the non O inside Thailand.

As mentioned previously the pros of this option is clear. No insurance (apart from covid insurance)  etc 

The slight difficult part is opening a bank account quickly on a visa exempt entry.

Use agent. Cost approx 4-5k.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, darrenr said:

why do you say scrap the OA? Is this to avoid the medical insurance , crim check ?

thanks again

Only to avoid the 3 million baht insurance. There is no criminals record check for a extension of stay application or a medical check up.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, darrenr said:

why do you say scrap the OA? Is this to avoid the medical insurance , crim check

The medical check and criminal check is easy and simple. 

The notorized part is time consuming. However all not difficult. 

Pre covid and insurance requirement the non O-A was a ripper visa.

You could get 2 years out of each non O-A and for someone that returns to home country every couple of years and able to use non O-A ongoing. Excellent.

Money remains on home country. 

However many are not wrapped in the insurance policy which also changes later next year.

IMO your best option is non O retirement pathway. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, darrenr said:

Hows the crim record check easy if they want Australian record and your in Thailand?

thanks for all your and others help

As stated .....the criminal and medical is only for non O-A.

You can only obtain a non O-A in your home country eg Au.

You cannot obtain a non O-A in Thailand. 

3 minutes ago, darrenr said:

Hows the crim record check easy if they want Australian record and your in Thailand?

thanks for all your and others help

It only needed if you apply for a new OA visa in Australia. Not needed for a extension here.

You would have to be in Australia to apply for the visa and you could get it while there.

I think that’s what I was misunderstanding that if I got a OA in Australia then after 12 months is up in Thailand that the 12 month extension if I apply in Thailand is also a OA , but it’s actually a non-o. Therefore no need for crim record or insurance when extending

36 minutes ago, darrenr said:

I think that’s what I was misunderstanding that if I got a OA in Australia then after 12 months is up in Thailand that the 12 month extension if I apply in Thailand is also a OA , but it’s actually a non-o. Therefore no need for crim record or insurance when extending

I'm not being pedantic.....more so you understand for future.

Take for example the Non O based on retirement.

That's a single entry visa and gives you 90 day permission of stay. In reality that visa is "used" once you enter Thailand.

You are then on permission of stay. Prior to that permit expiring you obtain an extension. It's not an extension of your visa. Rather it's an extension of your permission of stay. 

You will then do that every year. 

As for the non O-A. Very different beast. That visa has a life of 12 months. It's a multi entry visa and gives you 12 month permission of stay every time you enter Thailand while it's valid. Hence possible to obtain 2 years out of it by exit and reenter while it's still valid. ( just prior to expiry)

When you obtain extensions from a non O-A again your not extending that non O-A visa your extending your permission of stay.

The financial requirements for annual extensions for both non O-A and non O retirement are the same APART from one important thing. INSURANCE. 

Many folk waiting to kill off their non O-A and start again with non O.

That would require exit and reentry.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

On 12/31/2021 at 8:00 AM, ubonjoe said:

What about this on the Sydney consulate for a OA visa. At this time 800k baht is about 32.4k AUD.

image.png.765306b46414c18301703f5b92dd9f9a.png 

Source: https://sydney.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/non-immigrant-visa-type-o-a

Urbonjoe
Sorry if on wrong site and yes been on permission to stay for several years based on retirement
Yes trying to find any change in forms etc for retirement extension by the 800k method and apart from a form which one signs noting the requirement.
1 Yes all pages of passport
2 Tm 6 card
3/  copy of current years stamp
4/ The bank letter of a min of 800k
5/ deposit a small amount on the day visiting Immigration, Does this hold for say 7 days ie the immigration is closed due to an unexpected visit from Authority
Anything else and did ask a while ago but things and forms can change very quickly.
Thanks
One other thing a recent photo and one can use the same one if not changed at all?
John west

Edited by jwest10

8 minutes ago, jwest10 said:

Urbonjoe
Sorry on wrong site

I was replying to this post to point out that Sydney also has has incorrect info.

On 12/31/2021 at 7:29 AM, aussiexpat said:

Also, the Sydney Consulate is known by Australians to be the most up to date for info and it only gives 2 choices for retirement and O is not one of them

14 minutes ago, jwest10 said:

Yes trying to find any change in forms etc for retirement extension by the 800k method and apart from a form which one signs noting the requirement.
1 Yes all pages of passport
2 Tm 6 card
3/  copy of current years stamp
4/ The bank letter of a min of 800k
5/ deposit a small amount on the day visiting Immigration, Does this hold for say 7 days ie the immigration is closed due to an unexpected visit from Authority

There are no new forms. Probably a StM2 form for the terms and conditions and overstay rules if you have not had to one before.

Many offices also require a copy of the visa that allowed the permit to stay your are extending.

Some offices want a one year year bank statement for prove you kept the 800k baht for 3 months and 400k baht after that for your current. Others will accept bank book copie if it has been kept up to date.

33 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There are no new forms. Probably a StM2 form for the terms and conditions and overstay rules if you have not had to one before.

Many offices also require a copy of the visa that allowed the permit to stay your are extending.

Some offices want a one year year bank statement for prove you kept the 800k baht for 3 months and 400k baht after that for your current. Others will accept bank book copie if it has been kept up to date.

tHANKS SO MUCH

Just now, jwest10 said:

Kanchanaburi and they are first class. 

Ok. I did a report of recent annual extension retirement at CW. 

If your original Non O is in your pp then copy of that. If in a previous pp then copy of the immigration office stamp and info relating to your original Non O. That would be in first pages of current pp.

Many folk obtain bank letter day or two prior to attending immigration and just update on the day. 

I prefer to do it same day and show deposit and update on the day of application..

Bank statements were not required for my extension..