Extension of Stay based on Retirement

26 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Maybe I need some "alert pills".

I can't find going through application the non O based on retirement.

Yep sure other non O,s for  education, volunteering, etc .

The non O-A is there, yep very clear. 

Old form package before they started doing the non-o visa.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You have to apply for the the the non-o visa prior to having less than 15 days remaining on the 30 day visa exempt entry or the 30 day extension of it it. Then when the non-o visa you would get a 90 permit to stay it allows. Then during the last 30 day ot the 90 you would apply for a one year extension of stay (it not a visa) based upon retirement.

1. The medical insurance is only required to a apply for a Non-OA visa at a embassy or official consulate in your home country or country of legal residence.

2, That is not correct and retirement visa does not exist. A OA visa or a non-o visa is issued for retirement.

3. Some banks will issue one but it is not easy. Many people use an agent to open the bank account. You old account might still be open if you left enough to pay the maintenance fees after it had been dormant for a while.

Joe

I have heard that at Jomtien Immigration you can apply for the 1 year extension 45 days before the 90 day visa expires. Is that true?

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

Can enter on one month tourist visa than extend for 2 months more, that'll give you 3 months to organize your finances to apply for the retirement extension...

What about entering on visa exempt for 1 month? Then apply for 3 months non-O visa, is this allowed?

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

What about entering on visa exempt for 1 month? Then apply for 3 months non-O visa, is this allowed?

Yes. However the slight urgency is to obtain a Thai bank account if not have one.

An agent might be best option to assist with that. 

Once the 800k is in bank he can apply for non O retirement.

Has short window to obtain the bank account. Approx 2 weeks.

To buy more time could obtain a 30 day extension. Best avoid that..

7 minutes ago, Marvest said:

According to the Canberra link above for Non-O visa, the "Proof of adequate finance" requirement (#3.5) is THB 20,000.  Seems a bit low.

I'm waiting to hear from an Aussie that they obtained a non O retirement from Canberra and entered Thailand.

I have never met one.

Clearly things change and as uj indicated earlier the non O retirement is now possible from Oz..

The 20k was for tourist visa. Yes different fish.

Edited by DrJack54

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can only get O-A Visa in Australia for retirement reasons, not possible to get O visa for retirement

...I thought previous advice was never rely on Thai Embasssy websites for factual information lol

2 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

ou can only get O-A Visa in Australia for retirement reasons, not possible to get O visa for retirement

Have you tried to apply for one and gotten denied?

If not then who told you they could not get one?

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Have you tried to apply for one and gotten denied?

If not then who told you they could not get one?

I was going to apply and only option was O-A for retirement. The link requires you to complete the visa application form and O visa is not an option for retirement (only O-A is)

Screenshot_20211231-102455_Drive.jpg

Edited by aussiexpat

5 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

I was going to apply and only option was O-A for retirement. The link requires you to complete the visa application form and O visa is not an option for retirement 

As I wrote before that is a old out of date application package and form. It really means nothing.

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

As I wrote before that is a old out of date application package and form. It really means nothing.

It's the current form the Canberra website tells you to complete and send when applying for a visa so means everything

Also, the Sydney Consulate is known by Australians to be the most up to date for info and it only gives 2 choices for retirement and O is not one of them

Screenshot_20211231-103357_Samsung Internet.jpg

23 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Also, the Sydney Consulate is known by Australians to be the most up to date for info and it only gives 2 choices for retirement and O is not one of them

What about this on the Sydney consulate for a OA visa. At this time 800k baht is about 32.4k AUD.

image.png.765306b46414c18301703f5b92dd9f9a.png 

Source: https://sydney.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/non-immigrant-visa-type-o-a

17 minutes ago, darrenr said:

Canberra embassy as per previous reply has 3 options for retirement

I still don't get it. It's a 90 day visa that requires you to fill out an O-A visa form with the same requirements for health insurance and medical checks, but only requires 20,000 baht proof of funds.

Do you then still need the 800k in Thai bank to get 1 year extension, if so what's the point, you might as well get in Thailand after a visa exempt entry

Cluster<deleted> springs to mind

Edited by aussiexpat

17 minutes ago, darrenr said:

I think the 90 day option is just if you want to go for 90days at a time , and because single entry have to apply again. Good if u want to spend 3 months a year there

It is meant to be for somebody entering Thailand and applying for a 1 year extension of stay based upon retirement.

If you only wanted to stay for 90 days you could apply for a single entry tourist visa and apply for a 30 day extension.

• Like 1

‘It is meant to be for somebody entering Thailand and applying for a 1 year extension of stay based upon retirement.

If you only wanted to stay for 90 days you could apply for a single entry tourist visa and apply for a 30 day extension’

if that’s the case why would you not just apply for the OA visa in Australia as don’t need to show money in Thai account, which means you would arrive , easily open a bank account, then towards end of your first 12 months apply for an extension whilst in Thailand and obviously have the required 800k in the bank 

6 minutes ago, darrenr said:

If that’s the case why would you not just apply for the OA visa in Australia as don’t need to show money in Thai account, which means you would arrive , easily open a bank account, then towards end of your first 12 months apply for an extension whilst in Thailand and obviously have the required 800k in the bank 

Many folk want to avoid the health insurance policy. Keep in mind it's an ongoing requirement every year for future extensions.

The non O retirement path does not have that requirement. 

The non O is more attractive for plan to live in Thailand ongoing (IMO).

If non O retirement is available in Oz, I think that would be a good  alternative as you don't have a Thai bank account and entering with a non O would simply the opening of bank account. You could easily open by yourself

Edited by DrJack54

3 minutes ago, darrenr said:

if that’s the case why would you not just apply for the OA visa in Australia as don’t need to show money in Thai account, which means you would arrive , easily open a bank account, then towards end of your first 12 months apply for an extension whilst in Thailand and obviously have the required 800k in the bank 

The big difference is the 3 million baht medical insurance needed for the OA visa and a extension of the one year entry it allows.

Not required for a one year extension of a non-o visa entry.

Ok thanks, so could I just get the non-o 90 days visa in Australia, arrive Thailand , set up my bank account , find accomodation etc , then approx 30 days before the Australian issued visa from Canberra embassy expires just apply for the 12 month extension based on retirement of a non -o (not OA ) so to avoid the insurance ?

2. I note from the Thai immigration website still medical,to state no diseases etc , so if in Thailand on my first extension do I need to see a Thai doctor ang get blood,tests ?

3. If in Thailand how do I get a criminal record check from Australia?

Non-Immigrant Visa  “O-A” (Long Stay)

This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in  Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working. 

Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 1 year.  Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited.

1. Eligibility

1.1 Applicant must be aged 50 years and over (on the day of submitting application).

1.2 Applicant not prohibited from entering the Kingdom as provided by the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979).

1.3 Having no criminal record in Thailand and the country of the applicant’s nationality or residence.

1.4 Having the nationality of or permanent residence in the country where application is submitted.

1.5 Not having prohibitive diseases ( Leprosy, Tuberculosis, drug addiction, Elephantiasis, third phase of Syphilis) as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14  B.E. 2535.

1.6 Employment in Thailand is prohibited.

2. Required Documents

- Passport with validity of not less than 18 months.

- 3 copies of completed visa application forms.

- 3 passport-sized photos (4 x 6 cm) of the applicant taken within the past six

months.

- A personal data form.

- A copy of bank statement showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthly income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht.

- In the case of submitting a bank statement, a letter of guarantee from the bank (an original copy) is required.

- A letter of verification issued from the country of his or her nationality or residence stating that the applicant has no criminal record (verification shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notarised by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission).

- A medical certificate issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) (certificate shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notarised by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission).

- In the case where the accompanying spouse is not eligible to apply for  the Category ‘O-A’ (Long Stay) visa, he or she will be considered for temporary stay under Category ‘O’ visa.  A marriage certificate must be provided as evidence and should be notarised by notary organs or by the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission.

3. Channels to submit application

Applicant may submit their application at the Royal Thai embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General in their home/residence country or at the Office of the Immigration Bureau in Thailand located onGovernment Center B, Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi, Bangkok 10210, Tel 0-2141-9889.

4. Visa fee
            5,000 Baht for multiple entries

5. Recommendations for foreigners with Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay) while staying in the Kingdom

5.1  Upon arrival, holder of this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for 1 year from the date of first entry.

5.2  At the end of the 90-day stay , the foreigner must report to the immigration officer in his or her residence area and report again every 90 days during his or her stay in Thailand.  The foreigner may report to the police station if there is no immigration office in his or her residence area.

5.3  Foreigner may report to the competent authority by post and should provide the following:

- A report form (Tor Mor 47).

- A copy of passport pages showing the foreigner’s photo, personal details, and the latest arrival visa stamp.  

-  A copy of the previous receipt of acknowledgement.  

- A self-addressed envelope with postage affixed.

Edited by darrenr

10 minutes ago, darrenr said:

2. I note from the Thai immigration website still medical,to state no diseases etc , so if in Thailand on my first extension do I need to see a Thai doctor ang get blood,tests ?

3. If in Thailand how do I get a criminal record check from Australia?

Not sure what immigration website you are looking at since neither of those are required to apply for a extension of stay based upon retirement.

The requirements are here. Police Order 35/2562 Changing 327/2557 Clause 2.22 

55 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Many folk want to avoid the health insurance policy. Keep in mind it's an ongoing requirement every year for future extensions.

The non O retirement path does not have that requirement. 

The non O is more attractive for plan to live in Thailand ongoing (IMO).

If non O retirement is available in Oz, I think that would be a good  alternative as you don't have a Thai bank account and entering with a non O would simply the opening of bank account. You could easily open by yourself

The non-O link above does have insurance requirements. Same as O-A with 400000/40000 + $100k covid

https://canberra.thaiembassy.org/non-immigrant-visa-category-o-for-retirement-valid-for-90-days/

Screenshot_20211231-124002_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by aussiexpat

Canberra embassy - where I would get the OA initially then once in Thailand extended after 12month , the medical test and crim records are on the www.mfa.gov.th

i am assuming if you have done these requirements on your inital OA no need to keep supplying every 12 months ?

I am also assuming that if applying in Thailand you require medical and crim record from your home country see below from mfa.gov.th

https://www.mfa.go.th/en/page/non-immigrant-visa-o-a?menu=5e1ff71bc4281a00c812e8e2

33 minutes ago, darrenr said:

Non-Immigrant Visa  “O-A” (Long Stay)

Not sure why you were typing about a Non O retirement then attached information about a Non O-A.

Check out obtaining a Non O based on retirement in Oz.

I personally have dealt with Thai embassy Canberra via phone and found them very helpful. 

14 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

The non-O link above does have insurance requirements. Same as O-A with 400000/40000 + $100k covid

I have zero knowledge of a non O obtained in Australia. As I stated earlier have never even spoken to anyone that has obtained one.

As for insurance the rubbish 400/40k policy would not be required for ongoing extensions from a non O. Hence 90 day policy.

I have asked the guy requesting advice about his longer term plans.

If it was just for a 12 month or 2 year stay then that brings the Non O-A back into being good option.

If we knew that exit and reentry was going to be simple in 12 months time, then obtaining 2 years out of a Non O-A seems good option. 

Edited by DrJack54

8 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Correct but it only needs to valid for 90 days since that is your allowed stay you get when entering the country.