Extension of Stay based on Retirement

Hello

I am looking to return to LOS in March next year. I understand that I can enter visa exempt and apply for the extension but would have to prove my 800k came from overseas. I already have the 800k in the bank but probably will not be able to acquire a FET because some of the 800k was transferred in without a foreign transaction code.

My question is , can I enter using a 60 day tourist visa and apply for the retirement extension seeing the 800k will already be seasoned?

25 minutes ago, daystick said:

My question is , can I enter using a 60 day tourist visa and apply for the retirement extension seeing the 800k will already be seasoned?

You can elect to just enter visa exempt (30 days). 

Given that you have a bank account already then obtaining the non O is easy. You could obtain the non O shortly after arrival.

The requirement to show funds came from overseas is for the non O only (not for extensions).

Given you have existing funds in bank then o/s proof of funds should not be required. 

Flying visa exempt you will/most likely require to show onward flight for airline. You can buy a throw away ticket or Google "onwardflight".

Also you will only require insurance that covers 30 days. 

• Like 2

So let me get this right, I can fly over to Thailand arrive on a tourist exempt for 30 days , then either apply for a retirement visa within the 30 days or get an extension of stay on the tourist exempt visa for a further 30 days which would give me more time to apply for a retirement visa ?

1. As part of a retirement visa isn’t insurance for the 365 days mandatory ?

2. I thought your initial retirement visa you had to apply in your home country?

3. Which banks allow you to open an account with internet banking on a tourist exempt visa, I opened a krung thai bank account about r years ago, now has lapsed , so not sure if they still do this ?

Many thanks

Edited by darrenr
Spelling mistake

If you arrive with a Visa Exempt Entry you can apply for the Non Imm O Visa if you have at least 15 days left on your permision to stay.

After around 2 months you can then apply for the 12 month extension for retirement.

The op already has a bank account with the required balance so this is in answer to him.

Edited by Lite Beer

Why would you apply after 2 month for a 12 month extension for retirement, when you applied for the non-o (retirement visa) during your 30 day exempt entry ? I would have thought once you get the retirement visa granted whilst on the 30 day exempt entry this then gives you 12 months and so no need to apply for an extension until 12 months is nearly up?

• Confused 1

8. Rental Agreement between the Applicant and the Landlord ; A copy of house registration. Location map of the house and a rental receipt Past three months

? What is you are intending to live in a hotel ? (Serious)

How do you show rental receipt for last 3 months when you have just arrived on a 30 day exempt entry and are applying for the retirement visa before 15 days when your exempt visa expires ?

28 minutes ago, darrenr said:

So let me get this right, I can fly over to Thailand arrive on a tourist exempt for 30 days , then either apply for a retirement visa within the 30 days or get an extension of stay on the tourist exempt visa for a further 30 days which would give me more time to apply for a retirement visa ?

1. As part of a retirement visa isn’t insurance for the 365 days mandatory ?

2. I thought your initial retirement visa you had to apply in your home country?

3. Which banks allow you to open an account with internet banking on a tourist exempt visa, I opened a krung thai bank account about r years ago, now has lapsed , so not sure if they still do this ?

You have to apply for the the the non-o visa prior to having less than 15 days remaining on the 30 day visa exempt entry or the 30 day extension of it it. Then when the non-o visa you would get a 90 permit to stay it allows. Then during the last 30 day ot the 90 you would apply for a one year extension of stay (it not a visa) based upon retirement.

1. The medical insurance is only required to a apply for a Non-OA visa at a embassy or official consulate in your home country or country of legal residence.

2, That is not correct and retirement visa does not exist. A OA visa or a non-o visa is issued for retirement.

3. Some banks will issue one but it is not easy. Many people use an agent to open the bank account. You old account might still be open if you left enough to pay the maintenance fees after it had been dormant for a while.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks Ubonjoe for the information, sorry I haven’t worked out how to reply yet !

so I am assuming once you can open an account , you just transfer the money from your overseas bank (hope they let you open or as you say use an agent )

I assume there are many agents in Pattaya that could also make the non-o application for you ? Is it expensive or better to do yourself 

thanks alot for the help 

19 minutes ago, darrenr said:

Why would you apply after 2 month for a 12 month extension for retirement, when you applied for the non-o (retirement visa) during your 30 day exempt entry ?

Answered in my previous post.

7 minutes ago, darrenr said:

8. Rental Agreement between the Applicant and the Landlord ; A copy of house registration. Location map of the house and a rental receipt Past three months

If you just arrived in the country they would not require that. It is written based upon cases where a person had been here for some time already.

? What is you are intending to live in a hotel ? (Serious)

How do you show rental receipt for last 3 months when you have just arrived on a 30 day exempt entry and are applying for the retirement visa before 15 days when your exempt visa expires ?

The will will accept a hotel stay for the non-o visa if you have recently entered the country.

For the extension application they may want to see a longstay agreement with the hotel.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, darrenr said:

Why would you apply after 2 month for a 12 month extension for retirement, when you applied for the non-o (retirement visa) during your 30 day exempt entry ? I would have thought once you get the retirement visa granted whilst on the 30 day exempt entry this then gives you 12 months and so no need to apply for an extension until 12 months is nearly up?

You have completely misunderstood how it all works. I will try and explain and I have lived here 21 years and am on now my 13 extension of stay based on retirement.

There is no such thing as a retirement Visa, what you must first do is apply for a "Non O 90 day Visa" , this can be done as long as you have a minimum of 15 days left on your 30 day Visa on entry. Once you have your "Non O Visa" it will be for 90 days. Then you have to wait a minimum of 60 days , so then during the last 30 days of the validity of the "Non O Visa" you apply for an 12 month extension of stay to your "Non O Visa"  based on retirement. It can only be extended during the last 30 days of its validity , this is were your getting it wrong and it's not a retirement Visa , it's an extension of stay based on retirement.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Brick Top many thanks , guess I was getting the non-o visa based on retirement confused with  when you apply in your home country where I thought you get 12 months ( so when you arrive on the non-0 based on retirement in Thailand  you don’t have to apply for an extension until close to the 12 months almost being up, or have I got this wrong as well?

thanks for your info 

4 minutes ago, darrenr said:

Brick Top many thanks , guess I was getting the non-o visa based on retirement confused with  when you apply in your home country where I thought you get 12 months ( so when you arrive on the non-0 based on retirement in Thailand  you don’t have to apply for an extension until close to the 12 months almost being up, or have I got this wrong as well?

You are confusing a Non-OA visa that allows a one year permit to stay when you enter the country and is is multiplentry visa valid for one year from the date of issue with a Non-O visa that only allows a 90 day permit to stay.

So by the sounds of it a non -OA sounds like an easier option to start off with , arrive in Thailand then only have to do extension when time to renew ? I am assuming with a non-OA you can the open a bank account upon arrival and deposit the 800k any time as long as it has been in the bank for at least 2 months prior to applying for the extension ?

not sure if a non-OA in my country (Australia) if you need to have a medical and also have insurance ?

20 minutes ago, darrenr said:

So by the sounds of it a non -OA sounds like an easier option to start off with , arrive in Thailand then only have to do extension when time to renew ? I am assuming with a non-OA you can the open a bank account upon arrival and deposit the 800k any time as long as it has been in the bank for at least 2 months prior to applying for the extension ?

not sure if a non-OA in my country (Australia) if you need to have a medical and also have insurance ?

The requirements for a OA visa is here on the Canberra embassy website.

https://canberra.thaiembassy.org/non-immigrant-visa-category-o-a-for-retirement-long-stay-valid-for-1-year/

24 minutes ago, darrenr said:

not sure if a non-OA in my country (Australia) if you need to have a medical and also have insurance

Yes you require a medical.

You also require bogus health insurance 

I suggest that you read the requirements for Non O-A obtained in Oz. Canberra embassy.

You need to consider ongoing plans.

Extensions from a non O-A require ongoing insurance.

Some folk having extensions from a non O-A are in process of killing the non O-A off and obtaining a non O. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

Gees I must be stupid but it seems these Thai visa are very confusing , so you are saying if I get a non-OA in Australia , then when I renew in Thailand for an extension 12 months I should swap to a non-o so I don’t have to worry about medicals and insurance ? 
now I am more confused than ever 

2 minutes ago, darrenr said:

Gees I must be stupid but it seems these Thai visa are very confusing , so you are saying if I get a non-OA in Australia , then when I renew in Thailand for an extension 12 months I should swap to a non-o so I don’t have to worry about medicals and insurance ? 
now I am more confused than ever 

The OA visa allows unlimited one year permit to stays for a year from the day it is  issued. It is possible to get almost 2 year of stay if you leave and re-enter the country just before expires.

You would apply for a one year extension based upon retirement of the current entry from the the OA visa before the one year ends. You will only need medical insurance to apply and 800k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 65k baht income.

Getting away from the medical insurance is the primary reason for ending the OA visa and applying for a non-o visa and a extension of the entry from it.

So if I arrive on a non-OA , can I change to a non-o anytime before my first 12 months ?

with a non-o once you get that extension for 12 months , you don’t have to leave the country every 90 days ? ( I had a non -o based on marriage issued in Australia about 10  years ago but had to leave the country after 90 days then return), not married now 

sounds like the easier option is to come on a 30 day exempt entry then apply for non-o 

3 minutes ago, darrenr said:

sounds like the easier option is to come on a 30 day exempt entry then apply for non-o 

Yes.

With the 30 day entry there would be pressure time wise to open Thai bank account to apply for the non O. An agent can assist with bank account..

You cannot obtain a non O retirement in Oz..

BTW you cannot "switch" to a non O from non O-A.

If you outlined your longer term plans you would receive better advice..

12 minutes ago, darrenr said:

So if I arrive on a non-OA , can I change to a non-o anytime before my first 12 months ?

with a non-o once you get that extension for 12 months , you don’t have to leave the country every 90 days ? ( I had a non -o based on marriage issued in Australia about 10  years ago but had to leave the country after 90 days then return), not married now 

You will have to leave and re-enter the country after the OA visa expires to enter to with tourist or visa exempt entry. If not expired you would get a new one year permit to stay if you have 12 months of insurance or to the day it expires.

After getting the extension of stay you do not have to leave the country unless you want to.

You had a multiplentry non-o visa based upon marriage. You could of extended any the 90 day stay for one year if you had wanted to.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The requirements for a OA visa is here on the Canberra embassy website.

https://canberra.thaiembassy.org/non-immigrant-visa-category-o-a-for-retirement-long-stay-valid-for-1-year/

Thanks for the link.

Is this a recent change? Or was I wrong all along.

I was (strongly) under impression that Non O retirement was not available in Oz.

Good news if it is.

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Thanks for the link.

Is this a recent change? Or was I wrong all along.

I was (strongly) under impression that Non O retirement was not available in Oz.

You quoted the wrong post It is for the OA visa.

Many of embassies that did not do them before started issuing them last year when they started allowing entries for retirement. That is also when they started wanting 90 days of medical insurance to issue one.

I checked the link - they have 2x types , one for 90 days and one for 12months , both with different requirements, YET the application form is only for a Non O-A visa , gees they make things hard 

I guess the single entry non-o 90days is good if you only want to spend part of the year in Thailand 

Edited by darrenr

I checked the link - they have 2x types , one for 90 days and one for 12months , both with different requirements, YET the application form is only for a Non O-A visa , gees they make things hard 

Just complete the form on page 4 shown on the info to apply for the non-o visa.

49 minutes ago, darrenr said:

You can enter on a 30 day visa exempt - Then extend that for another 30 days then possibly apply for a 60 day covid extension to buy yourself some more time to sort out your financials.

Maybe a good idea to also open up a "WISE" account to use for future transfers of funds into Thailand.

30 minutes ago, darrenr said:

, YET the application form is only for a Non O-A visa , gees they make things hard 

Maybe I need some "alert pills".

I can't find going through application the non O based on retirement.

Yep sure other non O,s for  education, volunteering, etc .

The non O-A is there, yep very clear.