ATM Scam- Be very careful!

21 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I lost a card once  here in an ATM. The card was replaced  that afternoon. Banks give excellent  service here compared to UK.

For sure, there's no problem getting a new one. I can go into a branch and buy a new one at any time. I just wasn't very fond of their policy to destroy cards rather than open up a machine and return them. Aparently it's a nationwide policy, not an individual bank policy.

9 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

For sure, there's no problem getting a new one. I can go into a branch and buy a new one at any time. I just wasn't very fond of their policy to destroy cards rather than open up a machine and return them. Aparently it's a nationwide policy, not an individual bank policy.

It's an international  policy because the administration of returning lost cards from machines would be impossible for both practical  and security  purposes...In the UK a lost card takes two weeks to be replaced.  Here it's so easy

1 minute ago, The Hammer2021 said:

It's an international  policy because the administration of returning lost cards from machines would be impossible for both practical  and security  purposes...In the UK a lost card takes two weeks to be replaced.  Here it's so easy

I haven't lived back at home for nearly 20 years (Australia), and never lost a card there when I did, so I was unfamiliar with International policy, but if I'm outside a Siam Commercial Bank in a shopping mall, whose ATM retained my K-Bank card, I did expect I would have it returned. If it was an international card they would return it.... but of course, as you say, it's very easy and quick to get a replacement. My main reason for posting about this was to warn people to be extra careful about not forgetting ATM cards in machines. I've done it more than once.

Just now, JensenZ said:

I haven't lived back at home for nearly 20 years (Australia), and never lost a card there when I did, so I was unfamiliar with International policy, but if I'm outside a Siam Commercial Bank in a shopping mall, whose ATM retained my K-Bank card, I did expect I would have it returned. If it was an international card they would return it.... but of course, as you say, it's very easy and quick to get a replacement. My main reason for posting about this was to warn people to be extra careful about not forgetting ATM cards in machines. I've done it more than once.

They err on the side  of caution. Once a card is out of your control its presumed compromised plus the act of opening up an ATM puts at risk all the money stored  there

7 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

They err on the side  of caution. Once a card is out of your control its presumed compromised plus the act of opening up an ATM puts at risk all the money stored  there

ATM's at banks are opened everyday, usually around 4pm. If not everyday, they do have a schedule. I didn't expect them to get a key and open it up there and then. If they can return a card, they ask that you return after a certain hour with ID. This is what happened at a K-Bank branch which could return my card. I was lucky as this is only possible at what they call main branches, and it would probably only be for card holders of K-Bank. I don't think that includes branches in shopping malls.

29 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

ATM's at banks are opened everyday, usually around 4pm. If not everyday, they do have a schedule. I didn't expect them to get a key and open it up there and then. If they can return a card, they ask that you return after a certain hour with ID. This is what happened at a K-Bank branch which could return my card. I was lucky as this is only possible at what they call main branches, and it would probably only be for card holders of K-Bank. I don't think that includes branches in shopping malls.

So you win both ways. No problem. I just hope robbers don't know the schedule or deliberately  lose cards to gain access to cash! What you suggest indicates lamentable  even dangerous  security  protocols

22 hours ago, Nojohndoe said:

So  your problem/issue ATM scam  has not occurred here in Thailand?  Interesting !

I have never had an ATM problem, either in Thailand or in any other country, but I have had problems with Thai banks when there have been discrepancies in my bankbook concerning  funds transferred from abroad  being identified in the bankbook as funds emanating from within Thailand, despite paperwork from the Thai bank confirming the transfer, the date, the originating bank and the exchange rate  The length of time it took to correct the error was months ( we need to contact head office, we need to contact your bank in the UK, we need half a dozen photocopies of your passport and visa stamps, come back tomorrow, come back next week, manager busy right now, etc. etc. etc ad infinitum)

That is why I do not wish to risk any problem involving withdrawals or deposits, and make a point of using ATM machines actually inside the bank, where the risk of errors, scams and rip offs is reduced. 

And yes, replacing an ATM card is a 5 minute job at most banks, probably because there is scant regard for adhering to security procedures when issuing cards. 

PS.  And talking of security issues, when I need to make a purchase on a credit card I borrow my sister in laws credit card, and despite me being a male farang, I have never been questioned when using it, despite using my own signature which is nothing like the Thai signature on the card.

So many reasons to be vigilant when dealing with Thai banks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

OP hasn't been back ..... this story is questionable to say the least   !!   imo

Because it sounds like a lie, i mean in Thailand you dont get your card before your money. You actually have to take your money first. Sounds more like troll topic. I could be wrong but seems many are doubting this too based on how Thai ATM's work and that he somehow understood what the people said and his US bank reporting in Thai bt. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, robblok said:

Because it sounds like a lie, i mean in Thailand you dont get your card before your money. You actually have to take your money first. Sounds more like troll topic. I could be wrong but seems many are doubting this too based on how Thai ATM's work and that he somehow understood what the people said and his US bank reporting in Thai bt. 

This is a good point...Steven brought it up as well.  But the OP has conspicuously avoided answering.  He should come clean.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

and his US bank reporting in Thai bt.

When my UK bank notify me of a transaction they report both the approximated GBP value of (which isn't usually finalised until the end of the day) and the amount in Thai baht. So there's nothing particularly unusual there.

21 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

So you win both ways. No problem. I just hope robbers don't know the schedule or deliberately  lose cards to gain access to cash! What you suggest indicates lamentable  even dangerous  security  protocols

Maybe they do open them at different times, but they do open them and I'm sure it's late afternoon, to refill them, and to perform general maintenance, and they gave me a certain time to return to pick up my card. I would say they probably have a competent security team present when ATMs are opened.

22 hours ago, MUSTYJACK said:

And yes, replacing an ATM card is a 5 minute job at most banks, probably because there is scant regard for adhering to security procedures when issuing cards. 

It's definitely more than 5 minutes and K-Bank security on the issue of new cards is very strict (what bank are you referring to). They are not ATM cards, they are VISA debit cards. I tried twice to change my phone number to use with Internet banking, and twice they refused. The signature was not close enough as determined by the person who approves these changes. Thai script is very precise and accurate. I have lousy hand writing and a signature that looks a bit different every time I sign. That's not acceptable in Thailand.

I cannot use my VISA debit card at any store without entering a 6 digit PIN number (it has changed from 4 digits), and when used online I need to receive a OTP on my phone for a transaction to be approved. What is the security issue? It's as good or better than any of my foreign bank cards.

ATM Scam - Be very careful! Title should have been - New ATM Scam- A warning to all - -don't need your advice!

I wrote about this on here to prevent it from happening to someone else!

It was at the end of the day and some research when I put everything together!

Yes this is a new ATM Scam started in the UK.

Someone devised and manufactured a plastic piece to fit perfectly over the ATM's 

cash disbursement slot. When the cash is disbursed it rams against the plastic , the 

customer then thinks the ATM is broken or out of cash.

The Thieves wait close by and wait for the customer to leave.

They then remove the cover ( which they know how to snap off) receive the cash and leave. VERY SIMPLE SCAM-

As far as the man & woman - yes I think they were the scammers. But only remember them turning from the machine and walking by me ( with him saying "let's get out of here ".  Not enough words to tell where he was from! Yes if I knew what I know now - I would have stopped/confronted them and shoved her head up his fat ass. 

Yes I am protected and will get reimbursed the loss. So some of you with your bar stool 

( Beer Drunk ) advice, I and everyone else don't need it! This is for people with a life.  

• Like 1

The scam itself is definitely real https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/nationwide-issues-warning-over-cash-25637208 whether it's in Thailand as yet is unproven (you have to take your cash before getting the card back).

I really don't recall if UK ATMs return the card before dispensing the cash.

EDIT This Youtube suggests you get your card back first in the UK https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxp9SQyykR0