Why would I want to move my family from a poor country to a rich country?

SiSePuede419

8 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Another point, if you have kids in Thailand with a Thai lady and you brake up or divorce the mother? If so, which country give you the best option? 

I think it's Thailand, where you won't be forced to hand over huge amounts monthly. 

• Like 1

It's funny, people that don't like one's posts tell you to 'calm down' as if to suggest one is not calm in some attempt to discredit. OK, tell me what value is to you? If your wealth is effectively limitless, value has no meaning. All the best (and worst) life choices need supporting by money. Tell me I'm wrong. . .

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly

1 minute ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

It's funny, people that don't like one's posts tell you to 'calm down' as if to suggest one is not calm in some attempt to discredit. OK, tell me what value is to you? Value to me is getting what you want, at a price you can afford. All the best (and worst) life choices need supporting by money. Tell me I'm wrong. . .

Nothing wrong, you are right, and also the safety of the future if deleted happens. Quality of life can be anywhere depending of family relations and what you see best return for your money. That will differ alot, based on where you come from. If you from Norway, everything paid for by your fellow countrymen AS stigar said, and if from UK? It is a different story if you do not have enough founds!

3 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Marriage is not a requisite for staying together.  In fact, it has nothing to do with it.... 

It have something to do about your rights concerning the kid while you live in Thailand. If you move to one of the Nordic countries, she can not move back with the kid to Thailand without your acceptance, the same leaving Thailand with the kid alone if do not have custody rights.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Good luck with that...Do you honestly think the current rates are normal and they will not go up moving forward?

It's an odd situation.

In the west if they dare raise interest rates, half the home owners will default on their mortgages.

I remember paying 15%+ interest on my UK mortgage back in the 1980s.

Just imagine someone going from 2% to 15% (repayments x7).

This is a broken system, wonder how they'll get out of it?

• Like 1

America (USA) is not the only rich country.

European countries tend to have a welfare state.  UK, which is by no means the best, has universal health care, unemployment benefit, and free education.  Reasons enough perhaps.  Mind you the weather is lousy a lot of the time.

27 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Your figures seem awfully high. No way mortgage should be that high with current interest rates. Though it is tough to buy now. I live in an average house and rates are $3000 which is a bit high because I am in semi bushland and fewer properties to share the rates. Most rates in Melbourne should be about that or are less. Electricity $250 a quarter,  water $250 a quarter, gas $250 a quarter,  car registration and insurance together are about $1100, for 12 months. Smokes are expensive. Big taxes. 

Google says you pay 12 per cent of gross income for one and 16 per cent for two. Sounds not too bad but I suppose after tax it is difficult but it's not a tax it's going to the kids. You hear the opposite in Thailand where father's are dead beat dads and the mother is left with baby and has to certain jobs to get by.  

Ok Gazza is a divorced bricklayer with 2 kids.  His wife ran off with an electrician because it is a better class of tradie.

Gazza earns 72K pa before tax.

So 2 kids 16% child support (assuming kids from same mother).  Then payroll tax circa 25% on 72K.

So lets say 43K after tax.

Gazza cant work overtime because his tax rate would therefore go up and with child support on top he would get about 35cents on every dollar for his overtime.

so... 42.5K less (on your figures) and annual costs:

water 1k 

elect 1k

gas 1k

car 1K

internet and phone 1.5K 

so 37K

Gazza lost his house in divorce and can't afford to buy another because he hasn't got enough for 20% deposit.  Median house price in most cities in Oz is now over 1 million.

So he is renting a modest two bedroom bungalow in the burbs (has to have 2 bedrooms or kids are not allowed to stay with him during his custody allotments)

Rent 500 per week so 25K pa

so 12K

Contractors licence to work as brickie 500

Tradies insurance                                  1k5

Payments on leased ute 12K

So minus 2K a year remaining for Gazza to feed himself, cloth himself, pay for fuel, take care of the kids when he has them.  Buy the kids christmas and birthday presents.  And try to date some fat bushpig....

Am I missing anything....

Oh yeah health insurance or out of pockets if he gets sick....

Edited by Adumbration
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Ok Gazza is a divorced bricklayer with 2 kids.  His wife ran off with an electrician because it is a better class of tradie.

Gazza earns 72K pa before tax.

So 2 kids 16% child support (assuming kids from same mother).  Then payroll tax circa 25% on 72K.

So lets say 43K after tax.

Gazza cant work overtime because his tax rate would therefore go up and with child support on top he would get about 35cents on every dollar for his overtime.

so... 42.5K less (on your figures) and annual costs:

water 1k 

elect 1k

gas 1k

car 1K

internet and phone 1.5K 

so 37K

Gazza lost his house in divorce and can't afford to buy another because he hasn't got enough for 20% deposit.

So he is renting a modest two bedroom bungalow in the burbs (has to have 2 bedrooms or kids are not allowed to stay with him during his custody allotments)

Rent 500 per week so 25K pa

so 12K

Contractors licence to work as brickie 500

Tradies insurance                                  1k5

Payments on leased ute 12K

So minus 2K a year remaining for Gazza to feed himself, cloth himself, pay for fuel, take care of the kids when he has them.  Buy the kids christmas and birthday presents.  And try to date some fat bushpig....

Am I missing anything....

Oh year health insurance or out of pockets if he gets sick....

So therefore Gazza make sure he get the custody, problem solved!

Edited by Hummin
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Where would that be? In a trailer park in rural Montana?

Looks pretty good to me, no? Columbia South Carolina.

For 6.xx million baht I've seen worse deals Thailand actually considering most of these houses are just concrete shells

Screen Shot 2021-12-31 at 1.44.16 PM.png

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Seeing as how the sea level is predicted to rise 6ft by 2100, why would you even take the risk?

Or are you a climate change denier?

I remember in 1990 when I was 8 years old they said the sea was going to rise and put cities underwater in a mere number of decades. 30 years later not even a single coastal city in Florida is under 1 inch of water so if it was me I'd absolutely take the risk.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

For 6.xx million baht I've seen worse deals Thailand actually considering most of these houses are just concrete shells

Looks like a wooden vinyl shell on that house ....... I prefer my concrete.

(and it's 5x the price of my home)

Wonder why it was sold for $92k in March this year?

Repossessed?

Edited by BritManToo

4 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Looks pretty good to me, no? Columbia South Carolina.

Screen Shot 2021-12-31 at 1.44.16 PM.png

You have no idea how expensive property is in Australia.  Many years back I had my own company and was working as a consultant in Knoxville East Tennesse.  It was actually just after the GFC and there was whole streets there with every single house under foreclosure.  Jingle mail was a big thing with everyone just walking away from their house and mailing the keys back to the banks. 

I remember clearly sitting in an office with about a dozen or so local workers.  They were upper and middle management (degree educated).  They were talking about the property market.  I piped up and said in Australia the media house price is ....(I think back then it was circa 600K AUD or there abouts.) And to a man all of the guys there thought I was kidding or just flat out lying.  I sat them around my monitor and then brought up the website realestate.com.au and browsed some sample properties in Sydney Melbourne and Brisbane.  They were in utter disbelief.

A house like the one you have posted within commuting distance of Sydney or Melbourne would cost well upwards of 1 million dollars.  And the annual council rates would be circa 5-10K.

7 hours ago, mstevens said:

When I look at prices for all manner of goods on Amazon in the US they are so much cheaper than what you find in Thailand. Prices might be going up but it’s a worldwide thing and happening everywhere. 

Depends on the item or service. In the US anything labor related is out of control. 

7 hours ago, ScamperAZ said:

I don't know to which "wait times" you refer, but there is most certainly a labor shortage across the US. In my small town two favorite restaurant closed due to lack of staff. That's not due to corporate gouging. Typically it's the small business owners unwilling to pay a living wage. So of course if supply is low and demand is high, prices rise.

Only partially. It is also about the price a society pays, for giving away too much assistance, for too long, without asking for anything in return. Now? A society that does not want to work anymore. The US is a more dysfunctional society than ever. Pure sloth. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you completed your education, given up on health and decent health care, do not care much about family members' education, health care, or career prospects, if you blow your nose at "culture", are tired of meaningful conversations and relationships, but are thrilled to be looked at as an 'alien' all the time, are happy to pay 2.5-3 times for decent ("foreign") food, but generally like it 'cheap', then, no, there's absolutely no reason to move from a poor country to a rich one...

Edited by StayinThailand2much

Oh...back to Gazza the Brickie.

I forgot to mention dental care.  Australia has a pretty good free health system but it does not cover dental.  Years ago I needed extensive root canal and crown work as well as some laminates.  I got a written quote from my Dentist 17,723 dollars.  I laughed in his face.

The following week I arrived in Thong Lor and checked into a boutique hotel in the japanese quarter.  I then had the work done at (hell I forget the name of the clinic) Anyway stellar job and all of the dentists and staff were female.  The bill as I recall was under 3K.  In the down time between root canals and crowns I visited Pattaya and spent the money I had saved on dental work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, StayinThailand2much said:

If you completed your education, given up on health and decent health care, do not care much about family members' education or health-care, if you blow your nose at "culture", are tired of meaningful conversations and relationships, but are thrilled to be looked at as an 'alien' all the time, are happy to pay 2.5-3 times for decent ("foreign") food, but generally like it 'cheap', then, no, there's absolutely no reason to move from a poor country to a rich one...

You forgot to mention: If you are comfortable with nose picking and head lice.