Blast from the Past - 60's, 70's, 80's,90's Music (2022)

CharlieH

54 minutes ago, jvs said:

The last Resort and Long road out of Eden which one is the best Eagles song?

I can not make up my mind,both are brilliant.

Impossible for me to choose @jvs, both of these songs are deep. Plus, I went to literally every Eagle's Concert that rolled through Colorado when I lived there - way back in the day and there many of their songs I love, needless to say I'm a huge fan. What strikes me about these two songs is the way man misleads man into believing things in order to become manipulated. One tells the story of immigration, raping of the land and justifying the terrible things that were wrought upon the American Indians, while the other seems to tell the story of someone far away from home for a false cause - that's my 50,000 foot level interpretation anyway. Your thoughts? 

Edited by DBath
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, DBath said:

Impossible for me to choose @jvs, both of these songs are deep. Plus, I went to literally every Eagle's Concert that rolled through Colorado when I lived there - way back in the day and there many of their songs I love, needless to say I'm a huge fan. What strikes me about these two songs is the way man misleads man into believing things in order to become manipulated. One tells the story of immigration, raping of the land and justifying the terrible things that were wrought upon the American Indians, while the other seems to tell the story of someone far away from home for a false cause - that's my 50,000 foot level interpretation anyway. Your thoughts? 

Yes,that is kind off what i get from these songs also.

Thanks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DBath said:

I love the guitar and vocals on this version, had not heard it before.

When i was much younger i used to travel between Canada and Europe a few times and i had a friend in Holland who was a DJ.

I brought him a bunch of records that were not released over there

yet,this was one of them.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, jvs said:

When i was much younger i used to travel between Canada and Europe a few times and i had a friend in Holland who was a DJ.

I brought him a bunch of records that were not released over there

yet,this was one of them.

That's so cool @jvs, I wish I had pursued my deep interest in music and been even as connected as you were. My grandmother taught me to cherish music when I was a child - she even used have me sing for her party guests when I was 4 years old. One of her friends even gave me an acoustic guitar and I never learned how to play it. I've always loved music and even have a pretty good singing voice, because of my grandmother's influence. I biggest regret is not going that direction with my life. I did buy myself a Fender Strat two years ago and have been teaching myself how to play.

Edited by DBath
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, DBath said:

I love the guitar and vocals on this version, had not heard it before.

Me too.

Just wonder if this was the version playing on the radio back then that I enjoyed listening to so much.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1

On 8/7/2022 at 4:29 AM, userabcd said:

Me too.

Just wonder if this was the version playing on the radio back then that I enjoyed listening to so much.

I always thought this version - by the Animals - was the original, but please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DBath said:

I always thought this version - by the Animals - was the original, but please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

You are correct, it was first a huge commercial hit for The Animals in 1964.

The period I was listening to this song over and over on the radio, was circa 1970/1971, so it could have been the Frijid Pink version I was listening to at that time.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jvs said:

Here it is,a lot of information about The house of the Rising Sun.

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/the-animals/the-house-of-the-rising-sun

Very interesting read...another thing I got out of that was the song, "A World Without Love", made famous by Peter and Gordon, was written by Lennon & McCartney - very cool.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, userabcd said:

You are correct, it was first a huge commercial hit for The Animals in 1964.

The period I was listening to this song over and over on the radio, was circa 1970/1971, so it could have been the Frijid Pink version I was listening to at that time.

It has been recorded by so many different artists and, partly because it can be recorded and sung without reprisal - meaning, no royalties have to be paid. This from the article shared by @jvs "The Detroit rockers Frijid Pink made their mark with a cover of this song that went to #4 UK and #7 US in 1970." It could very well be the version you were turned on to was the one by Frijid Pink.

• Like 1