73 people dead, 574 injured in Thailand’s national road carnage on New Year’s Day

webfact

9 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

So, basically Thailand has managed wipe out the equivalent of every starting 11 players of every team in the English Premiership in a handful of days. Insane.

I do not to want to be cinical, but the death toll for Corona yesterday in LOS was 13,according to that newspaper.

So your far more likely to, or nearly 6 times more likely to to die from a road accident than corona, might as well open up.

Just something that I have noticed in NZ, no delta coming into the country, all Omicron and delta case numbers are rocketing down.

If it keeps going this way we might be in for the the ending of the pandemic, hoping so.

NZ won't be able to lock the borders any more soon , as there might not be any Delta left, and Omicron seems to peak quickly and then drop quickly, hope it keeps going that way.

Edited by kiwikeith

6 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

So your far more likely two, or nearly 6 times more likely to die from a road accident than corona, might as well open up.

Just rather not die of either right now. Easier to avoid road accidents as more under my control.

3 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Actually much better than cyclists go to Buddha than car drivers….car accidents would have much higher injury/death rates based on sheer number of people in a car…

motorcyclists are faceless nameless people which the Thai culture accepts as no big deal to shed from the living…

As a motorcycle rider( nothing powerful, just a 110cc Yamaha "step through") I don't really agree that it is better that motorcyclists "go to Buddha"...

6 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

A pandemic is easy to solve or control.  People's stupidity is something else.  Thai's scream  if you try to make things safer.  It is their right to do stupid things.  Remember when for safety reasons they tried to outlaw riding in the back of pick ups.

While this country may be in the 21st century in 2022 they have the knowledge of and thoughts of Canada in 1960.

Come on even in Canada we were told to sit down and not stand up in the car. The cars in Canada back then where made from steel not fabric 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, apetryxx said:

My guess is that a very, very high percentage of the motorcycle fatalities and injuries involved persons not wearing helmets. I would further suggest that the same percentage of those riders were wearing a useless face mask. 

There's  room for compromise here. All motorcycle riders should be told to wear the facemask on their heads.......????

To my surprise, on of the factors listed is 'poor visibility'. I would classify this as speeding.

10 hours ago, 2009 said:

Why?

What difference does it make if it's motorcycles or cars?

Motorcyclists are "vulnerable" road users. Anywhere in the world a motorcyclist is 40 times more likely to be killed than a car driver or passenger.

In Thailand there was recent survey the concluded that 80% of motorcycle accidents caused by cars cutting in. 

Stats indicate that about 73% of deaths on Thai roads are motorcyclists - 80% are "vulnerable" road users -  Road users outside the car, those most at risk in traffic; and those unprotected by an outside shield. - that includes motorcyclists, 3 -wheelers, pedestrians and bicyclists.

1,000 road accidents between 2016 and 2020. https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30403810

I have often said that unless Thailand adopts the international "Safe System" were will be no significant change in the death rates  or any other road safety  statistics in Thailand. Looking at these causes of motorcycle accidents it seems the the figures will only improve by the adoption of Safe System

Edited by Thunglom

4 hours ago, strabel23 said:

Common sense to driving in Thailand is as rare to find as good service in a restaurant.  ????

I'd find fault in just about every word in that statement - it shows a real lack of understanding of various concepts. Common Sense Is Neither Common nor Sense and is often why people don't understand driving in Thailand. The concept is further reinforced by you problems in Thai restaurants in getting good service. ... a lack of commonality.

Edited by Thunglom

10 hours ago, apetryxx said:

My guess is that a very, very high percentage of the motorcycle fatalities and injuries involved persons not wearing helmets. I would further suggest that the same percentage of those riders were wearing a useless face mask. 

Motorcycle helmets reduce the risk of head injury by 60% and death by 42%

Masks whilst riding prevent dust and bugs from getting in your nose and mouth - I used t wear a white silk scarf whilst motorcycling until full face helmets became common.

Edited by Thunglom

3 hours ago, Dont confuse me said:

Speeding accounts for 35.15% of all the accidents, followed by drunk driving at 32.06% and poor visibility at 16.47%.

Translates to 83.68 %  caused by speeding blind drunk morons!

Incorrect interpretation of the stats.

To put in some context - in UK the DUI rate is 13%,  in Thailand it is around 25 to 33% normally and in the USA it is 28%.

Of course this relies on testing/detection and calibrated equipment and t legal blood alcohol levels.

5 hours ago, Dont confuse me said:

Speeding accounts for 35.15% of all the accidents, followed by drunk driving at 32.06% and poor visibility at 16.47%.

Translates to 83.68 %  caused by speeding blind drunk morons!

With 7/8 dead on small motorbikes so completely unprotected in collisions….

2 hours ago, Thunglom said:

Incorrect interpretation of the stats.

To put in some context - in UK the DUI rate is 13%,  in Thailand it is around 25 to 33% normally and in the USA it is 28%.

Of course this relies on testing/detection and calibrated equipment and t legal blood alcohol levels.

Actually the interpretation is spot on! Drink driving at 32.06% (within your stats).

Now the end paragraph, which says, "Translates to 83.68 %  caused by speeding blind drunk morons"

is actually something called sarcasm,  which is defined as, "the use of irony to mock or convey contempt" I accept that sarcasm is sometimes referred to as the lowest form of wit, however it was my feeble attempt of bringing a little humour to the subject.

Happy New Year!

3 hours ago, Thunglom said:

Motorcyclists are "vulnerable" road users. Anywhere in the world a motorcyclist is 40 times more likely to be killed than a car driver or passenger.

In Thailand there was recent survey the concluded that 80% of motorcycle accidents caused by cars cutting in. 

Stats indicate that about 73% of deaths on Thai roads are motorcyclists - 80% are "vulnerable" road users -  Road users outside the car, those most at risk in traffic; and those unprotected by an outside shield. - that includes motorcyclists, 3 -wheelers, pedestrians and bicyclists.

1,000 road accidents between 2016 and 2020. https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30403810

I have often said that unless Thailand adopts the international "Safe System" were will be no significant change in the death rates  or any other road safety  statistics in Thailand. Looking at these causes of motorcycle accidents it seems the the figures will only improve by the adoption of Safe System

I am skeptical.

"Cars cutting in?" Motorcycles weave through cars like they are flossing teeth. They pull infront of cars so closely (less than a meter from front bumper). They are all over the place; way more reckless than the average car (because they are more nimble and can, so they do, simple as that).

And helmets? Forget it. You can't call them vulnerable if they don't wear a helmet - just senseless. And that is the majority. They hate helmets. Even taking their kids on the bike too without helmets. And giving the keys to their taller children to drive it themselves (as soon as they are tall enough actually).

Vulnerable is not a word I can use here. Sorry.

Actually, hang on. Yes, the kids are vulnerable to reckless parenting (if you could call it that).

Edited by 2009

18 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

So, basically Thailand has managed wipe out the equivalent of every starting 11 players of every team in the English Premiership in a handful of days. Insane.

Are the 6 left over the VAR referees?  Not all bad then

3 hours ago, Dont confuse me said:

Actually the interpretation is spot on! Drink driving at 32.06% (within your stats).

Now the end paragraph, which says, "Translates to 83.68 %  caused by speeding blind drunk morons"

is actually something called sarcasm,  which is defined as, "the use of irony to mock or convey contempt" I accept that sarcasm is sometimes referred to as the lowest form of wit, however it was my feeble attempt of bringing a little humour to the subject.

Happy New Year!

Nothing amusing about road deaths and injuries. It is of course totally inaccurate and just abusing Thai people.

Edited by Thunglom

2 hours ago, 2009 said:

I am skeptical.

"Cars cutting in?" Motorcycles weave through cars like they are flossing teeth. They pull infront of cars so closely (less than a meter from front bumper). They are all over the place; way more reckless than the average car (because they are more nimble and can, so they do, simple as that).

And helmets? Forget it. You can't call them vulnerable if they don't wear a helmet - just senseless. And that is the majority. They hate helmets. Even taking their kids on the bike too without helmets. And giving the keys to their taller children to drive it themselves (as soon as they are tall enough actually).

Vulnerable is not a word I can use here. Sorry.

Actually, hang on. Yes, the kids are vulnerable to reckless parenting (if you could call it that).

"I am skeptical." Hardly - that is part of the process of critical thinking This is skepticism and critical thinking — believing only those claims for which there is good evidence. - This is not evident in your post - just a series of anecdotes and subjective personal observations. you are just being cynical.

"vulnerable" is the scientific term used to describe a section of road users.

For the rest, you are just making subjective value judgements about other road users (assuming you actually are one).

I would suggest you do some reading up on the matter - try starting with the article in the Nation - https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30403810

In my home country, UK, there are multiple signs on roads and motorways asking motorists to "check your blind-spot for motorcycles" - as it is well known that car drivers not seeing motorcycles is a major cause of accidents.

I personally whilst driving motorcycles in Thailand have noticed on many occasions that other drivers are totally unaware of a 2-wheeled vehicle nearby.

The problem with road safety in Thailand is that both authorities and casual commentators base their opinions "on what they already know" - which in reality is baseless assumption. There is a lot of research carried out n road safety in Thailand but it is almost entirely ignored by the DLT, police and other organisations in the country - it is also apparently completely unknown to most people who choose to comment on road safety as can be seen by the same figures ad comments rolled out every year at this time.

Edited by Thunglom

I was once sick with dengue fever and went to a hospital in Koh Samui.

As my condition improved I went to see the doctor for the last time before saying goodbye.

As I left his office I passed through emergency and was totaly shocked with the condition of many

foreigners who had motorbike accidents and were waiting to be checked by a doctor.

If people only knew how they are gambling with their own lives, riding a motorbike in Thailand...

1 hour ago, Shocked farang said:

I was once sick with dengue fever and went to a hospital in Koh Samui.

As my condition improved I went to see the doctor for the last time before saying goodbye.

As I left his office I passed through emergency and was totaly shocked with the condition of many

foreigners who had motorbike accidents and were waiting to be checked by a doctor.

If people only knew how they are gambling with their own lives, riding a motorbike in Thailand...

Samui has allegedly one of the highest accident and injury rates in Thailand.

I also has a very high concentration of foreigners - mostly holidaymakers, although there are quite a few expat retirees there too. Many of them hire vehicles on the island which are available from local small businesses at exceptionally low rates - largely because they're not allowed off the island.

This means that there are heaps of foreigners driving round the island with little or no experience of driving on the right, driving motorcycles or driving in Thailand. They wear inappropriate apparel, have often been drinking and don't wear crash helmets.

The roads of Samui are particularly badly made and designed and frequently have a coating of sand left after rain or flooding.

They seldom have insurance and their travel insurance does cover them for riding motorcycles.

The result is what you saw - an endless stream of foreigners in all the hospitals and clinics on the island of people receiving treatment for injuries from road accidents. The injuries have various nick names such as "Samui sunburn" "Samui Tattoos" "Samui Skidmarks". 

The treatment isn't free and some people have their holiday ended abruptly by their injuries, others have to take days/weeks to recover and can end u scarred for life .Some can face financial ruin if the injuries require extensive surgery. You can regularly read stories online and in the media of people hoping for crowd funding in order to fly home. Some are not so “lucky” and are flown home in a box or cremated on the island.

It is very disturbing when you read foreign people criticising Thai driving and you realise that regardless of the terrible death rate on Thai roads in general, they are in fact amongst the most at risk through their own ignorance themselves.

Edited by Thunglom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Thunglom said:

This is not evident in your post - just a series of anecdotes and subjective personal observations. you are just being cynical.

I am I really supposed to gather evidence for something that we can all see with our own eyes on the roads every day?

Very few helmets, children operating motorcycles (cars even, but that's less obvious), weaving around all over the place. You don't see it?

More signage won't help. Thai drivers aren't unaware, they just don't care. They ignore signs. Even at gas stations they drive in the exit and out the entrance, lol. Stops signs mean nothing to them either. All that matters is their convenience.

Going up the wrong side of the road. Driving on the pavement. Going through red lights, not maintaining safe distance etc. etc.

And motorcycles are the worst. Because they are more mobile, they have the ability to do more stunts....and they do!

They need an attitude adjustment which will only come when the government hits their pockets........hard.

Not just motorcycle drivers obviously. Cars get up to wacky races here too. But motorcycles are guilty of most of the above mentioned offences more than cars, particularly with getting too close to other vehicles. You'd think they would want to keep their distance from cars, but they zip-up the inside, outside, middle, right in front of the car's front bumper.

40 minutes ago, 2009 said:

I am I really supposed to gather evidence for something that we can all see with our own eyes on the roads every day?

Yes - you don't seem to j=know the difference between evidence and your own confirmation bias and cognitive dissonance.

4 hours ago, Thunglom said:

Yes - you don't seem to j=know the difference between evidence and your own confirmation bias and cognitive dissonance.

You are in denial, buddy.

The drivers here are bonkers, especially motorcycles.

Go on, tell me: of those out of the 73 who died, how many were on motorcycles and not wearing a helmet?

You will likely find it was the overwhelming majority, not because riding a motorcycle makes them vulnerable but because they weren't wearing a helmet.

I wonder how many were minors, not legally allowed to drive - yet given the keys by their parents anyway?

Edited by 2009

25 minutes ago, 2009 said:

You are in denial, buddy.

The drivers here are bonkers, especially motorcycles.

Go on, tell me: of those out of the 73 who died, how many were on motorcycles and not wearing a helmet?

You will likely find it was the overwhelming majority, not because riding a motorcycle makes them vulnerable but because they weren't wearing a helmet.

I wonder how many were minors, not legally allowed to drive - yet given the keys by their parents anyway?

"More than 40 per cent of those killed suffered severe head injuries. Of this number, over 62 per cent were not wearing a helmet." - the Nation -  Thailand Accident Research Centre (TARC)

You're not even addressing the problem  - you comments are purely conjecture and subjective - It is impossible to discuss with someone who doesn't have the very first concepts of road safety in Thailand. You are so ill-informed, there is just nowhere to start.

What do you think I'm denying?

Edited by Thunglom
  • Confused 1