No lessons learned: Drink driving stats for New Year's Eve smash record for previous year by 66%

webfact

2pm.jpg

File photo: Daily News

Thailand's efforts to stop motorists from driving under the influence of alcohol are in tatters.

That's if figures released by the Probation Department are to be believed. 

Director Witthawan Suthonkhajit reported 1,723 cases of DUI on December 31st.

This was 66% worse than the same day in 2020. 

In addition 148 appeared in court for driving while drugged up.

The total for three days was 2,896 DUI and 480 drug driving cases. 

Ten cases of negligent driving were dealt with by the department.

Worst areas in Thailand for DUI were all in the north east with Chaiyaphum having 194 cases, Sakon Nakhon 159 and Buriram 157, reported Daily News

Aetna Platinum+ Light on premium, great on coverage

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-01-03

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

2pm2.jpg
Graphic: Daily News
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

What could you possibly have expected.  Many months have gone by with restricted places to buy/consume alcohol.  All was relaxed for the holiday season so it was off to the 7/11's and more.  Only motorized, properly equipped and patrolling police that stop the erratic driving (not just alcohol/drug related) will ever solve this problem.  Seems all to often that offenders who are caught get little more than a slap on the wrist for their behavior.  Bigger fines, jail time and maybe even confiscation of vehicles might get their attention.  Seems drugs and alcohol are ingrained in the Thai culture.

Got fired from a few jobs, though didn't stick around most long enough to get fired.

Fired from one, so HR guy could hire his nephew.  Was talking to my replacement, without realizing, and 'told me his Uncle hired him'....next thing I know, I'm in the office, and told work to slow, so I'm done.  Know that's false, but I was the newest hire, less than a week, so wouldn't stir up a fuss with other workers.

Fired from 2 other jobs, because I wasn't there ... out looking for better job ????   1 job, supervisor asked buddy working there, and he wasn't thinking, as thought the boss was a friend, 'where's LA' ... 'out looking for new job' ... 'tell him not to come back'????

Other one was, my boss so impressed with me, recommended me for top job, more senior people wanted and I got it.  When him & his boss flew down to tell me, I wasn't there and the place was a mess.  So he had to fire me to save face.  Hated doing it, but I asked if I could make a long distance call, after we got done our friendly chat.   "Hello, this is LA, I can start next week" .... he couldn't stop laughing.  Doubled my salary with that move.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, smedly said:

pretty much everyone driving or riding in Pattaya after 8pm are very likely to be intoxicated and that includes both Thai and foreigners, it's not hard to figure out when you see bars packed with hundreds of motorbikes parked for hours and then they all disappear at closing time

the only way to stop it is zero tolerance 365 days a year - big fines - deport and blacklist foreigners and jail for repeat offenders and those that cause injury or death to others

That would make Thailand world leaders... in having 75% of their population in jail.

Do you work for a prison building company by any chance? ????

32 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Got fired from a few jobs, though didn't stick around most long enough to get fired.

Fired from one, so HR guy could hire his nephew.  Was talking to my replacement, without realizing, and 'told me his Uncle hired him'....next thing I know, I'm in the office, and told work to slow, so I'm done.  Know that's false, but I was the newest hire, less than a week, so wouldn't stir up a fuss with other workers.

Fired from 2 other jobs, because I wasn't there ... out looking for better job ????   1 job, supervisor asked buddy working there, and he wasn't thinking, as thought the boss was a friend, 'where's LA' ... 'out looking for new job' ... 'tell him not to come back'????

Other one was, my boss so impressed with me, recommended me for top job, more senior people wanted and I got it.  When him & his boss flew down to tell me, I wasn't there and the place was a mess.  So he had to fire me to save face.  Hated doing it, but I asked if I could make a long distance call, after we got done our friendly chat.   "Hello, this is LA, I can start next week" .... he couldn't stop laughing.  Doubled my salary with that move.

Were you drinking and driving at the time?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I wonder what penalties those caught DUI faced , 

starting the points system off with a 100 points,

and getting 30 for DUI , you could get caught 3

times and still have 10 points left , even if you

did lose your license (if you had one)  ,a couple

of hours watching a video on how you should

drive, you get it back again, no wonder the numbers

are so high, there is no deterrent , the Government

is not really serious about stopping this problem.

regards Worgeordie 

Let's face it, not many countries are really serious about it. Or there would be a Zero Tolerance policy and massive repercussions, and that just won't happen in most countries.

8 minutes ago, Broken Record said:

Let's face it, not many countries are really serious about it. Or there would be a Zero Tolerance policy and massive repercussions, and that just won't happen in most countries.

The only reason that DUI was introduced was to pacify (or keep solvent) the insurance companies.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

This post is in the wrong thread. MODS please move.

• Haha 1

I Had a Thai guy turn up at my house he was well intoxicated, I asked him where his wife was and he looked behind on motorbike and said she was on it when he left home , he lost her on the road and didn’t know , she was ok when he found her 

• Haha 1

Obviously some controls are needed regarding DUI of a lot of drugs that impair, prescription drugs included.

Alcohol is socially acceptable even though it is responsible for so many deaths and social problems, violence etc, drinkers don't like to label it a drug, but it is a drug, a dangerous one at that.

It's so easy to have 2 beers, then wonder if you'll still be safe when you've had 3, had a big meal, maybe be alright with 4, maybe even 5, oh to hell with it, give me another, I'm not drunk, I'll be ok, I'll take the back roads etc etc etc......It's that kind of drug, it dehydrates you so even if you are drinking loads, you'll still wake up with a dry mouth, more please, I'm thirsty, tricky drug is Alcohol, more and more and more, then you are drunk and convinced you're ok, everybody can see you're drunk, but you convince yourself that you're not.

I've been there. 

Edited by Broken Record
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Foghorn said:

I Had a Thai guy turn up at my house he was well intoxicated, I asked him where his wife was and he looked behind on motorbike and said she was on it when he left home , he lost her on the road and didn’t know , she was ok when he found her 

I done the same thing years ago.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Broken Record said:

No

ohh ok.

I recall attending a party last year with friends at a house, had to park not outside the house and music that night was at a lower level to be discreet... as gatherings were not allowed.

Maybe Iam thinking another year.

15 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

ohh ok.

I recall attending a party last year with friends at a house, had to park not outside the house and music that night was at a lower level to be discreet... as gatherings were not allowed.

Maybe Iam thinking another year.

There were restrictions, not a lockdown.

Until the Government gives the Transport Dept or RTP finance for mufti vehicles &

the energy to run them IN THE TRAFFIC watching what is happening nothing will change.

Roadblocks are a waste of time & resources as everone behaves themselves there.

Have a look at the roadrage after the roadblocks