Foreign tourists not wearing masks threaten closure of Phi Phi island - hotelier calls for foreigners to be fined

webfact

3 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

Yeah sorry Kuhn Tourist, you can't get on the boat unless you're wearing a mask.  What?  Nuh, you don't need a life jacket. Life jackets are useless against Covid.

Life jacket use is strictly  enforced. It's only belligerent foreigners  who argue. But thankfully are put in their place publicly.  Hopefully  mask  use will be enforced  too soon

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Sarcasm functions in speech but rarely in text.

and in most cases is conveyed by tone of voice or body language, the prosodic features of language, so is much easier to use face-to-face and often impenetrable in text based discussions. 

Now that is the finest bit of vitriol I have read in a long time.

https://www.supersummary.com/sarcasm/

If you are fully vaxxed without conditions you have made a maximum social and personal Covid effort and Medically need not wear any damn mask nor be concerned about others mask status …..If NOT STAY HOME Let others look after others…..any enforcement is not your business…….

1 hour ago, tgw said:

still no boats in the bay nor swimmers allowed

Yep as you said, but it is open for tourists with a max of 8 boats at the dock.

https://traveltalksplatform.com/2022/01/04/thailands-famous-maya-bay-reopens/

And almost four years after, Maya Bay re-opens to foreign visitors. The “doors” to the bay opened on January 1, 2022.

However, visitors have to follow the introduced rules and restrictions. From the link above you can check what rules you should follow.

According to these regulations, boats are not allowed to enter the bay and tourists are dropped off at a pier behind the island. Only eight speedboats are allowed to dock here at the same time.

Moreover, tours are limited to one hour, with a maximum of 300 tourists allowed per tour. The bay “operates” from 10 am to 4 pm. Tourists are obliged to make a reservation to take part in these tours.

Finally, swimming in the seawaters of the bay is prohibited due to the fact that they are the home to 161 blacktip reef sharks. Local authorities want to preserve the population of this species whose number grew immensely since 2018 (an estimated 6 back then).

Using the Blacktip reef shark as a get away from swimming tactic....lol

Edited by ThailandRyan

Right on the money, spot on. But if you add yet another law which not will be enforced but used to cream off some envelope money, then do not restrict it to the dirty farang only. The harvest will be much richer, if you include the semi-divine Khon Thai also as most mask-less shoppers on the road are ....... well, not alien! 

7 hours ago, webfact said:

He called on the Krabi health authorities to take immediate action and fine tourists if necessary. 

Obviously asking the police to enforce the law is a waste of time, so they call upon the local medics for help. Who don't have the authority to issue fines, do they? Classic Thai.

1 hour ago, TropicalGuy said:

If you are fully vaxxed without conditions you have made a maximum social and personal Covid effort and Medically need not wear any damn mask nor be concerned about others mask status …..If NOT STAY HOME Let others look after others…..any enforcement is not your business…….

No. Wrong.

Even if fully vaxxed and boosted, one can still carry the virus. The viral load may be less than in an unvaxxed person, and the immune system might clear the virus faster, but even a fully vaxxed person can pass on the virus.

Masks are not perfect by any means, but some virus---carried primarily through water droplets that dwarf the size of the virus itself---is stopped. If that results in even one vulnerable person not catching Covid and suffering or dying, it seems worth it. If one is incredibly selfish or thinks masks infringe on their 'free dumb', then they should stay home and avoid Thailand. Too many foreigners insist on imposing their own belief system on other countries. Obviously these same foreigners would be outraged if a visitor to their country ignored local laws, requirements and customs, and just did as they pleased.

Thailand has established some rules, such as wearing masks in crowded places, shops, convenience stores, etc. It is both polite and respectful for visitors to obey those requirements---even if some Thais do not. If someone doesn't like that, stay out of Thailand.  Some foreigners are such prima donnas.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

Tourists coming from far and wide around the glob to be care free on a beach in Thailand and has to were masks, what a holiday it is in deed...

You wear a mask where you ,are, and I am sure you must think it's a good idea, We all wear masks in khon Kaen where I am,  and me and most people also think it;s a good idea,

So , if it's a good idea to wear a mask where you are, and we think it's a good idea to wear a mask every other place in Thailand, why would it not be a good idea in Phuket? Is it because they are on vacation?  Should I stop wearing a mask in Khon Kaen and if anyone complains just say " Hey I am on vacation"? 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

If that results in even one vulnerable person not catching Covid and suffering or dying, it seems worth it.

That vulnerable / high risk person, should avoid people & crowds.  Enough already.  If you're scared to live outdoors, stay indoors.

Nobody wore masks with the seasonal flu, and can be deadly to people at risk.  Mask provides little to no protection if you're not wearing goggles.

Edited by KhunLA

5 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Protect the country and close the borders.. That will teach the tourists for not wearing masks...Better don't let them in than fine , because that will cost tourists.. Bad for the reputation to fine your guests

Lets start with the local expats first. You’ll find many dont wear masks  put go ahead blame the tourists.  Feel better?

5 hours ago, JimHuaHin said:

May I add, which will be criticised - I am sick of seeing so many farangs walking aroung Hua Hin Market Village and BluPort without masks; and in the nice littled gated communited I live in, maybe 20% of the farangs wear masks when they are walking around outside their properties.   And their nosiy teenage kids, never wear masks.

Why don’t you say something to them?  If you are so sick of it man up and do something about it. Maybe it would be easier to hide behind the boot of the law. Call immigration and get all of these dirty people deported. Maybe you just would rather complain about the noisy kids online. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Walker88 said:

No. Wrong.

Even if fully vaxxed and boosted, one can still carry the virus. The viral load may be less than in an unvaxxed person, and the immune system might clear the virus faster, but even a fully vaxxed person can pass on the virus.

Masks are not perfect by any means, but some virus---carried primarily through water droplets that dwarf the size of the virus itself---is stopped. If that results in even one vulnerable person not catching Covid and suffering or dying, it seems worth it. If one is incredibly selfish or thinks masks infringe on their 'free dumb', then they should stay home and avoid Thailand. Too many foreigners insist on imposing their own belief system on other countries. Obviously these same foreigners would be outraged if a visitor to their country ignored local laws, requirements and customs, and just did as they pleased.

Thailand has established some rules, such as wearing masks in crowded places, shops, convenience stores, etc. It is both polite and respectful for visitors to obey those requirements---even if some Thais do not. If someone doesn't like that, stay out of Thailand.  Some foreigners are such prima donnas.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/12/24/health/cloth-mask-omicron-variant-wellness/index.html

Read what is said about cloth masks being little more than facial decorations. I also wonder how you feel about laws in the Middle East. They pass laws like you can stone your wife for adultery or you can throw a homosexual off the roof. Should visitors be respectful and follow those rules also?  Asking for a friend.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Walker88 said:

No. Wrong.

Dosagree. Non-vaxxers “impinge on my freedom” by undermining my own “ maximum effort”, constantly getting sick, driving stupid govt. restrictions, & clogging up hospital beds. Vax available for 12 months now. No interest in “protecting” them. Should be denied hospital treatment if non- Covid cases need those beds. Covid appears to be everywhere now. The “ passing it on” phase is Done.

Compliant with rules in public but not for Nightlife. If told to wear mask (never happened) I would comply to avoid trouble but simply leave that immediate area for another.

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

You wear a mask where you ,are, and I am sure you must think it's a good idea, We all wear masks in khon Kaen where I am,  and me and most people also think it;s a good idea,

So , if it's a good idea to wear a mask where you are, and we think it's a good idea to wear a mask every other place in Thailand, why would it not be a good idea in Phuket? Is it because they are on vacation?  Should I stop wearing a mask in Khon Kaen and if anyone complains just say " Hey I am on vacation"? 

Personally, as triple vaxxed resident I comply with public masking, but only to avoid any trouble, except for Nightlife (amongst vaxxed Tourists). Then it’s just silly politics.

No Interest in “protecting” unvaxxed now vax available to all here for last 12 months.

1 hour ago, Midwit said:

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/12/24/health/cloth-mask-omicron-variant-wellness/index.html

Read what is said about cloth masks being little more than facial decorations. I also wonder how you feel about laws in the Middle East. They pass laws like you can stone your wife for adultery or you can throw a homosexual off the roof. Should visitors be respectful and follow those rules also?  Asking for a friend.  

Exactly. Non- Medical grade Cloth Masks are proven medically useless. Political Muzzling Compliance Gesture. Law by Mass Hysterical Govts.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Midwit said:

Why don’t you say something to them?  If you are so sick of it man up and do something about it. Maybe it would be easier to hide behind the boot of the law. Call immigration and get all of these dirty people deported. Maybe you just would rather complain about the noisy kids online. 

1 hour ago, Midwit said:

Actually detested seeing masks inside my small quiet gated complex. Only 3 from 9 occupied houses then ….Even told my Lady not to do it. It stopped some time ago after vax. Also denied pool closure move April last year, when I was almost Sole User ! My Thinking was Don’t bring that Misery inside my Home Area ! It Stops outside the Gate ! 

2 hours ago, Bkktodd said:

Lets start with the local expats first. You’ll find many dont wear masks  put go ahead blame the tourists.  Feel better?

The “fully vaxxed / negative test/ maximum effort” tourists…….the tourists who have gone through countless bureaucratic hoops and taken expensive risks to come here …yes kick them all out…. infecting stupid unvaxxed superstitious locals…. by accident ….. disgraceful economy - supporting behaviour ! 

2 hours ago, Bkktodd said:

Ok  understand , but do we do with the Thai who don't wear masks?? Easy to blame 1 group , but the others has to be punished too

Edited by ikke1959