Beginner - need some information

So I have only stayed in hotels and airbnb condos, I have never gotten my own lease. I'm on a tourist visa right now, and plan on getting on an ED visa learning Thai. I want to get my own condo on a lease. Are there requirements to get a lease, such as proof of visa and other stuff?

Also, I'm using the propertyhub website to find condos, it lists the condo owners phone number, do they usually speak English when you call? Are you able to message them via email or LINE, or do they usually only communicate on the phone?

No visa requirements to enter into a lease.

Not sure anyone can tell if a person on the other end of a phone can usually speak English. If they are advertising in English then presume they have some English, if someone is advertising their email or LINE, then the idea is so you can message them. 

Maybe familiarize yourself with a translation app so you can translate messages if required.

Some Condos are not foreigner friendly as the owners don't like the hassle of dealing with TM 30 requirements. It is also quite common that condos specify a minimum length of stay before agreeing to let the property out. You might have to shop around a bit before you find what you want.

25 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

No Visa Requirements
Try Talking to them, then you will know if they know English.

If a contact option is given, then you would suppose that can be used.

What's the standard? Like how long does it take to close the deal, how many months of deposit do you pay, etc?

Every condo I've rented required 2 months deposit + 1 month rent in advance. I'd personally use an agent. This shouldn't cost you any extra, that's between the agent and the landlord. If you're looking in the Pattaya/Jomtien area, I have an agent I can highly recommend. Honest beyond belief.

Once you finally settle on a place, TAKE A VIDEO OF THE ENTIRE CONDO WITH THE AGENT AND/OR LANDLORD PRESENT! I cannot stress this highly enough. More often than not I've had previous (expletive deleteds) try claiming I damaged their property or stole items. If you have a video, you can prove you did not. I mean it, down to the cutlery in the kitchen drawers. Just keeping honest people honest.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, noodleslayer said:

What's the standard? Like how long does it take to close the deal, how many months of deposit do you pay, etc?

But Dear, please do put your question to the owner or agent. They have all answers. You should not pay more than 2 month deposit. I think you have to come visit a couple of times, before you do such big thing in your life. Never heard of someone having so much trouble knowing about or doing a thing that most people have to do for have anywhere to live.