Thailand's COVID-19 cases surge to 5,775 new cases, 11 more deaths

webfact

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Message just now on Antigen tests, from an epidemiologist who works for the UK Health Security Agency:

"Can I clear up this rumour circulating that certain lateral flow tests simply cannot detect Omicron. This is NOT true. All LFTs used in UK *can* detect Omicron

It is possible that changes in Omicrons preferred infection site + viral replication speed could mean slight changes in sensitivity for certain LFTs over the course of infection HOWEVER, this will vary person by person and does NOT mean that LFTs “don’t work” for Omicron."

FIbIoPoWYAcanSI.jpg.d7aa7f0975f5982e7d221ab695dee947.jpg

Any suggestions on quality/specific reputable brand tests that are actually available here in Thailand?

26 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

No idea please let me know if you find out, something we all need to know I think

I see Boots online is advertising this one that's a 5-pack from Roche, presumably legit.

https://store.boots.co.th/products/roche-sars-cov-2-ag-pst-nasal-5-ea/61656fb4377743511d77a4d9

Screenshot_9.jpg.48de4ff5c3c62072521b7e51c961fe8b.jpg

And Watson's online is selling this one from China, a brand I've never heard of....

https://www.watsons.co.th/kissh-sars-cov-2-antigen-test-kit-nasal-swab-1-pc/p/BP_296171

Screenshot_10.jpg.987271acb6c94b9ce6e6331e43fef4b6.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I see Boots online is advertising this one that's a 5-pack from Roche, presumably legit.

https://store.boots.co.th/products/roche-sars-cov-2-ag-pst-nasal-5-ea/61656fb4377743511d77a4d9

Screenshot_9.jpg.48de4ff5c3c62072521b7e51c961fe8b.jpg

Those are the same ones I buy. 5 tests to a box from the Boots just down the road.  I have 4 boxes of 5 and I will take 3 boxes with me back to the US next week, as well as the Anitgen Saliva kits of which I bought a box of 20.

We test every Sunday evening with one or the other.  The GF has decided to take a break from the salon with Omicron running around now as she does not want to accidently get herself or me infected before the scheduled trip to clear up family business.

20220106_213148.jpg

Edited by ThailandRyan

11 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I have 4 boxes of 5 and I will take 3 boxes with me back to the US next week

Just curious... Why take TH purchased test kits back to the U.S. for travel?

Is the available supply there worse than it is here?  Surely, the quality control there is better than it is here....

PS -  what are the particulars of the Hip Bio Tech kit that you posted a photo of above. That's a different one from the two I cited....

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Just curious... Why take TH purchased test kits back to the U.S. for travel?

Is the available supply there worse than it is here?  Surely, the quality control there is better than it is here....

PS -  what are the particulars of the Hip Bio Tech kit that you posted a photo of above. That's a different one from the two I cited....

They are few and far between right now as there has been a run on them.  Will give some to my kids when I see them at the settling of the estate I am doing.

The test I posted is a saliva test, no jabbing yourself up the nose. Just suck the mucus into your throat like getting ready to spit a loggie and then gather whats in the throat and spit it into the collection tube. 

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

They are few and far between right now as there has been a run on them.  Will give some to my kids when I see them at the settling of the estate I am doing.

The test I posted is a saliva test, no jabbing yourself up the nose. Just suck the mucus into your throat like getting ready to spit a loggie and then gather whats in the throat and spit it into the collection tube. 

Thanks.... I kinda meant more what company that test is made by, and what country it's made in....

I was going thru a long TH FDA Powerpoint file of all kinds of ATK tests, and not all.... but almost all... of the ones they listed on their list as being saliva tests seem to be being made in China.

I believe, this below is a list of the tests kits that the Thai FDA has licensed for import... including links for authentication and instructions for using.

https://www.fda.moph.go.th/sites/Medical/Shared Documents/ข้อมูลรายชื่อชุดตรวจและน้ำยา COVID-19 Home use.pdf

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Thai business sector objects to sweeping restrictions to cope with new wave of COVID-19

Thai Chamber of Commerce (TCC) Chairman Sanan Angubolkul disagrees with raising the COVID-19 alert level to the extent that business activities are locked down again, saying that such a decisive measure would drive the country backward.

Sanan pointed out that the situation is very different from last year, because most of the population are now vaccinated, with many fully inoculated. Last year, however, only a small number of people had received vaccine shots, which were also in short supply.

He said that sledgehammer measures, such as a complete lockdown, may stop the spread of the virus temporarily, but the impacts on the economy will be devastating.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-business-sector-objects-to-sweeping-restrictions-to-cope-with-new-wave-of-covid-19/?

Think what a lot of people are overlooking is the number and type of vaccination. It is becoming clear now that two shot vaccine has less efficacy against Omicron than 3 shot and also Thailand has mix and matched it's vaccines on double doses or two Sinovac and one AZ. Pretty sure Oxford stated that vaccine like Sinovac does not protect with Omicron and even 2 shot AZ did not fare well. Even Bojo said a lot of people going to hospital in UK only had the 2 shot and no booster. Time will tell if this is the case in Thailand.

• Like 1