Thailand's COVID-19 cases surge to 5,775 new cases, 11 more deaths

webfact

No surprise that the number of positives has jumped so high. Yesterday there were 3,555 positive ATK test results. Looks like most were not false positives!

Looks like the old saying is true - 'seek (test) and ye shall find.'

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, sungod said:

Pardon my ignorance, but I thought the whole idea was to swab the nose and mouth at the same time? A kind of capture all?

I certainly dont think ATK kits should be taken with a grain of salt, I know numerous people who displayed symptoms and used them to test, the result was positive and now they are self isolating.

I'm recovered now, but that was the route I took. This kits allow people to act responibly without the prospect of being hauled off to the Gulag if they tell someone.

Well swabbing the mouth and nose would be fine as they do undertake that for PCR tests, but the ATK test swab instructions do not have you swabbing your throat just your nostrils.

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Well swabbing the mouth and nose would be fine as they do undertake that for PCR tests, but the ATK test swab instructions do not have you swabbing your throat just your nostrils.

Must depend on the kit then, my kids school swab both, the kits I have at home allow both.

17 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

No surprise. The next wave is here. Expect deaths to stay low with this variant.

Also expect the government's least favourite activities to be 'restricted' again shortly. Of course this will make no difference to the spread as Covid doesn't care about fake puritanism and pompous posturing.

Anecdotally, the company I work for tested around 300 employees on Tuesday before allowing us back into the offices/factory and not a single one tested positive. I was amazed, but the general gossip amongst my Thai colleagues was that the test kits that were being used are one of the brands unable to detect Omicron and will be changed for the next round of tests. I didn't bother looking into this to verify it but it makes me wonder if this is the case at many testing venues.

For insight into how Thailand's Omicron deaths might play out in reality, as opposed to fantasy, the South African "weekly excess deaths from natural causes" data are useful to consult

(Source: https://www.samrc.ac.za/sites/default/files/files/2022-01-05/weekly1Jan2022.pdf )

image.png.96a3e57b50ed5d52ec8d5e1236fa2ae7.png

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sungod said:

Must depend on the kit then, my kids school swab both, the kits I have at home allow both.

Yes must be the Kit. This is the Roche ATK test kit instructions. This one says Nasal on the test. Maybe yours says Nasal and Throat. Have not seen one of those.  I also have the Saliva antigen kits as well.

16414344893887312803993218200671.jpg

16414345632903290644179285662052.jpg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

There are 1,847 people in America who would disagree with you, but they died of Covid yesterday.

Did they? Do you know if it was Omicron or Delta? Delta is still active in the US and taking into account the lag between infection and death it's very likely this number represents Delta deaths at least the majority.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Macrohistory said:

For insight into how Thailand's Omicron deaths might play out in reality, as opposed to fantasy, the South African "weekly excess deaths from natural causes" data are useful to consult

(Source: https://www.samrc.ac.za/sites/default/files/files/2022-01-05/weekly1Jan2022.pdf )

image.png.96a3e57b50ed5d52ec8d5e1236fa2ae7.png

It seems the South Africa government wants the world to think that Omicron has finished there, and is not testing much.

• Like 2

I am wondering how many Omicron cases, because they keep their mouth shut about it... last update was Tuesday with 2062 cases and yesterday no info and today??? Of course I know it take 3 days, but Sunday cases are known on Wednesday, Monday on Thursday, Tuesday on Friday and so on.. It is not that they not started this week with testing so... why no daily updates?? To many which may cause panick??? 

13 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yes must be the Kit. This is the Roche ATK test kit instructions. This one says Nasal on the test. Maybe yours says Nasal and Throat. Have not seen one of those.  I also have the Saliva antigen kits as well.

16414344893887312803993218200671.jpg

16414345632903290644179285662052.jpg

Yes and this is the saliva only one we use weekly.

image.png.16b720568297a2e07e9521dff1a1c175.png

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

It seems the South Africa government wants the world to think that Omicron has finished there, and is not testing much.

I agree.  South Africa has a population close in size to that of the UK, but the highest case number it ever reported during the Omicron wave was c. 37,000.  That's many times lower than the highest UK case number of >200,000.  Doesn't make sense.  Even though SA had been hit by other variants before, it was also under-vaccinated when Omicron came calling.

Excess deaths is a much harder figure to massage.

• Like 1