How many times are you allowed to visit Thailand?

I have been visiting Thailand several times a year for 5 years. Last night I arrived at Suvarnabhumi and was grilled for about an hour before they let me through to my test and go hotel. Last year I stayed in Thailand 90 days through the phuket sandbox, returning to the UK on 20th October. Is there a limit to the number of times I can enter? The IMO said he was sending my file to the chiang mai IO so I should get a retirement visa. This all seems very odd. I come here and spend money on hotels, restaurants, taxis etc which is what they want, isn't it? 

16 minutes ago, Petethefeet said:

This all seems very odd.

What was odd about it?

Without any details it's challenging to understand your encounter, or to answer your question.

Way back when, there were some "hidden" limits re: number of visa-exempt entries and total duration in a period, but those have been halted since Q1 2020.

Were you interrogated by more than the initial officer? Were you moved to a different area? Who did most of the talking? I can't imagine talking to an IO for 60 minutes.

20 minutes ago, Petethefeet said:

The IMO said he was sending my file to the chiang mai IO so I should get a retirement visa.

Why did the IO raise the issue of a "retirement visa" (maybe they meant an extension to stay based on retirement?)? Who started talking about retirement? You, or the IO?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Petethefeet said:

and was grilled for about an hour

When they start to fry and saute you you know you're in trouble.. but seriously, Thai immigration were always unhappy with people who frequently comes to Thailand and are not the usual tourists who go to hotels and spend money, best if you will get yourself a proper visa/permit so you won't get hassled..

15 minutes ago, ezzra said:

When they start to fry and saute you you know you're in trouble.. but seriously, Thai immigration were always unhappy with people who frequently comes to Thailand and are not the usual tourists who go to hotels and spend money, best if you will get yourself a proper visa/permit so you won't get hassled..

Those who come from visa exempt countries are entitled to multiple entries. There is no published limit. Know very wealthy people who will never come to Thailand again as they simply won't bother with "proper visas" and don't like being delayed as undesirables for "coming too many times" . I have anecdotal reports the denials are somewhat racist.  

I expected this nonsense would start again as soon as Test and Go increased travel. Always shooting themselves in the foot. At the same time we will read again  how other organs of the state and travel groups aim to attract quality tourists aka big spenders.

• Like 2

I am sitting in the shade on a beautiful beach in koh Chang now waiting for breakfast. The anxiety I felt at the airport is just receding. The IO brought up the suggestion that I get a retirement visa. I had mentioned that I was going to chiang mai later. 

On 1/7/2022 at 8:38 AM, DrJack54 said:

Dont understand how CM came into the equation. 

There is no limit on visa exempt entries via air. Land visa exempt entries are limited to 2 per calendar year. 

In recent years some consulates (nearby countries) will limit tourist visa to Two.

Slightly unrelated ...in my early years here, I was traveling to Vietnam every month.

As a result I just stayed in Thailand on visa exempt.

Eventually you will get hassled. 

I then moved to Tourist Visas

In those days you could obtain triple entry. Bit like a METV. 

I would obtain those in Saigon. 

Nice friendly consulate. 

Eventually the io said ...."you should be using 'retirement visa'.."

OP, point of the story is that you have options of obtaining a non O retirement and apply for ongoing extensions. Some io are going to give you grief. Rightly or wrongly. 

I miss them visa run days, good times were had.cant actually see them coming back .

20 minutes ago, bbbbooboo said:

Hmmm…. It’s almost like they don’t want us “aliens” in Thailand innit ?

They want you if you follow some basic rules. Is it too much to ask?

Some people seem to think that just because they rent a room and buy food they are great contributors that should be welcome anytime without questions asked. Thailand has a somewhat complex but very articulate system of visas for all kinds, it's often just a matter of learning about it. If the OP qualifies for retirement and visits so often, it's probably a good idea to get it.

I have been grilled in a similar way when I visited Japan on visa-exempt like 3-4 times in a year, coming from Thailand, the officer was quite explicit in accusing me of drug dealing. Let's not even mention what border agents will do in other countries, I have especially non-fond memories of dealing with USA immigration although I was living there with a perfectly legal visa. I have been refused entry to Brunei because I was entering by ferry instead of airplane. And so on.

And especially let's think sometimes of what most SE Asian people have to go through when they want to visit, maybe repeatedly, the West.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1