Would you just as soon get Omicron (and get it over with)?

Paulaew

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.  Eight days and only two boxes of tissues - walk in the park.

But I'm 99% sure I had Delta in Feb 2020.  Plus I've had two Pfizer cocktails.

I'm beginning to wonder about my enlarged coxis but I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. :coffee1:

• Haha 1

I agree we will all face the virus sooner or later. I've just had a booster shot but over 65. I will still take precautions for a few weeks yet as I would rather wait until omicron displaces delta some more if it's going to do so. I'd rather not catch delta which is still prevalent in Australia. I would also prefer to get omicron in Australia before I go to Thailand. In another month the situation will be a lot clearer so it isn't time to open the flood gates yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Virt said:

No reason to get it if you can avoid it.

Even if you are vaccinated or not, you don't know how your body will react.

You might be one of those that has to go through a rough case of COVID-19 and then it's not worth it, since the anti bodies will go away again, and then you're still able to get another round of covid.

Just like we don't get the regular flu on purpose, i can't see why we should try and get covid on purpose just to get it over with.

You are assuming you can avoid it?

I assume I'll get it regardless at some stage. Not worried about it anymore than any other thing that might be sent to annoy me.

If it gets bad I'll just go to hospital for some O2 ( I've a DNR so no ICU for me ) and either survive or not. That's life. No point kicking against the pricks.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

I agree we will all face the virus sooner or later. I've just had a booster shot but over 65. I will still take precautions for a few weeks yet as I would rather wait until omicron displaces delta some more if it's going to do so. I'd rather not catch delta which is still prevalent in Australia. I would also prefer to get omicron in Australia before I go to Thailand. In another month the situation will be a lot clearer so it isn't time to open the flood gates yet.

I was taking precautions when omicron first appeared in NZ; didn't visit anyone, wore a mask around everyone else ( nobody except me was wearing one ), but it seems to be a bit of a bust, so I don't bother anymore. Been visiting all my friends again. Even went to the cinema the other night and no one was wearing a mask. I think people where I live are pretty much over stressing about it. They wear masks when the shop mandates it, but otherwise a lot of people don't bother anymore.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Exactly this.....  The whole idea of ‘catching Covid-19’ just to get it over with is preposterous. 

Thats the whole objective of getting vaccinated, so that we can avoid catching it or at least have minimum symptoms when / if we do. 

What this means is we can modify our lives and take sensible precautions without being utterly reckless. 

But the idea to ‘go out and catch it’ or to completely throw caution to the wind and totally ignore the risk is somewhat idiotic. 

That said, a degree of normalcy must be achieved.... hiding away is an over reaction.

Seems to me that given omicron is infecting fully vaxxed people the only way to not get it eventually is to hide away.

Where I live life appears back to normal except for wearing masks in shops that mandate it.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I was taking precautions when omicron first appeared in NZ; didn't visit anyone, wore a mask around everyone else ( nobody except me was wearing one ), but it seems to be a bit of a bust, so I don't bother anymore. Been visiting all my friends again. Even went to the cinema the other night and no one was wearing a mask. I think people where I live are pretty much over stressing about it. They wear masks when the shop mandates it, but otherwise a lot of people don't bother anymore.

Mate, I was dead lucky.  Was in NZ for a few weeks in Feb/Mar 2020 with the wife and daughter.  Managed to get an early flight out to go to Sydney for 5 days to see my son there.  There for 2 days and saw the writing on the wall and got an early flight out - landed in BKK 18 March on a mercy booking flight with Thai Airways.

Otherwise I'd probably still be there and would have been press-ganged by my partners into working again.  Lucky escape.

Ironically, the cancelled flights on Emirates and the rebookings on Thai got me a nice little overall refund.  I think Thai were just happy to get anybody to pay the gas bill home for the plane before the world stopped, so the fare was stupid cheap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I've had my shots and assume that I will get it, and IMO whether I take a hospital bed or not is entirely down to luck.

It's not like I can avoid it other than by hiding in my room, and even then I might get it from the guy that delivers my food.

True, but would you try to get it on purpose as topic poster ask?

I prefer to have the vaccines and then live my life as normal as possible, but I'm not trying to hunt down a positive person to try and get it ????

Just finished vacation on Tenerife where it was quite packed with tourists, and the airport was like totally crowded.

Omicron was spiking on Tenerife too.

Living my life as normal as i can and not hunkering down.

• Like 1

"...As one of the doctors quoted in this forum said"

And here I thought all forum members were board certified, along with all their instant, peer reviewed, from the other forum docs, while dishing out medical advice.

No ... I'm not volunteering to infect myself with a disease, just to get it over with ... ????

Thinking like that is a bit mind boggling in itself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

We don't get all the propaganda for the flu, so it's no big deal. I'm just so over getting government ads about it whenever I turn on the radio. Often don't even subject myself to them and play my own music- anything to avoid all the fearmongering.

Some might call that head in the sand. Possibly uninformed even ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

We don't get all the propaganda for the flu, so it's no big deal. I'm just so over getting government ads about it whenever I turn on the radio. Often don't even subject myself to them and play my own music- anything to avoid all the fearmongering.

The flu kills thousands every year...........????

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ralf001 said:

is getting omnicron the same as getting covid ?

Omichron is a recent, highly transmissible Covid variant. You must have been on holiday for the last couple of months ...

Paul Laew

53 minutes ago, Paulaew said:

Thanks for the link, unfortunately it doesn't work (in my browser anyway).

Here's a working link to the article on the web:

https://time.com/6133419/should-i-try-to-get-omicron/

Paul Laew

You might want to link something from a more credible rag than Time. 

Also not an op-ed from a TicTok doc - "TikTok handle @AskDrMom"

And my posting of YT vid of  ex CEO of Pfizer, lifetime virologist gets criticized.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1