Is smoking the silent super spreader?

Douggy

I’m sure most of us feel very frustrated at continued demonizing of alcohol as the primary cause Covid spreading. How about now having a blanket ban on public smoking which transmits 1.5 meters of exhaled breath every couple of seconds. 9060EB17-4BB5-4B50-A58A-AF28367E885A.jpeg.20b7b61bc6b4c9466d2092c6a810e0db.jpeg

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

And vapers (technically illegal here but quite popular and rarely enforced) love to show off with massive clouds.

Well obviously the mask is off so there's that. And they're often grouped together in smoking zones. And they're often yammering. As long as they're outside I say let them be.

11 hours ago, Douggy said:

I’m sure most of us feel very frustrated at continued demonizing of alcohol as the primary cause Covid spreading. How about now having a blanket ban on public smoking which transmits 1.5 meters of exhaled breath every couple of seconds. 

While I agree with your assertion that alchohol has been moronically demonised, to the huge detriment of the economy, the only major difference between a lungful of smoke and a lungful of exhaled normal air, (aside from the smell) is that you can see one and not the other.

I have not seen any evidence that smoke or vape fumes are more capable of carrying Covid than normal exhalation from an affected individual.

I smoke, but do so considerately, well away from others. If there were evidence of smoke being more likely to carry it, a safe distance probably should be made mandatory, but in light of the lack of such, those who are considerate will try to ensure they are don't stink people out anyway.

Consideration towards each other from Thais is not commonplace of course and not only in matters of health and hygiene. The roads are way more dangerous than passive smoking.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, darksidedog said:

While I agree with your assertion that alchohol has been moronically demonised, to the huge detriment of the economy, the only major difference between a lungful of smoke and a lungful of exhaled normal air, (aside from the smell) is that you can see one and not the other.

I have not seen any evidence that smoke or vape fumes are more capable of carrying Covid than normal exhalation from an affected individual.

I smoke, but do so considerately, well away from others. If there were evidence of smoke being more likely to carry it, a safe distance probably should be made mandatory, but in light of the lack of such, those who are considerate will try to ensure they are don't stink people out anyway.

Consideration towards each other from Thais is not commonplace of course and not only in matters of health and hygiene. The roads are way more dangerous than passive smoking.

Can Secondhand Smoke Spread the Coronavirus to Others?

Early studies have found that the coronavirus can attach to particles in secondhand smoke and secondhand aerosols from e-cigarettes. This may make it spread farther in smokers’ homes. These particles with the virus can also linger in dust and on surfaces for days.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/covid-19-smoking-vaping#2

There's not a lot of evidence out there one way or another. But still...

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

You could say anything you have to do with out a mask on is risking some one. If with in the  one meter rule...but as smoke carries .you could have hit the nail on head. So to speak. I'm all for a ban on it .when trying to eat .. sure I don't want to eat something thats been in some else mouth ....well glad I'm a man.  ..lol

On 1/8/2022 at 9:38 AM, Berkshire said:

Hmmm....interesting point.  But doesn't just breathing do that?  Especially if one is exercising.

Breathing normally isn't the same as smoking.  When someone smokes they take in a long deep breath and actively blow out their smoke and often times away from their personal space,  "just breathing" is less intrusive.  As for exercising that's different.

I've been in bars where smoking is allowed and sat in the vicinity of smokers and when they exhale they don't want to sit in a cloud of their own exhaust so they blow it off to the side usually for someone else to endure.

22 hours ago, metisdead said:

An inflammatory post has been removed. 

I call this type of post a cloud of smoke.  It is all that remains after the flame is out. ????

Edited by gamb00ler