Oven glue

Guderian

The rubber door seal around my oven is broken. It's held in place on the oven body by 4 small metal prongs that are embedded in the rubber, and these slot into small holes around the door, which makes it easy to remove for cleaning. The rubber has now broken around one of these metal pieces and it's come loose so the seal will no longer stay in place. The oven is Spanish and over 12 years old so I reckon there's little chance of getting a replacement seal here. My idea is to get some non-toxic high-temperature adhesive (oven glue) and try to repair the rubber where the metal prong has broken through. That probably won't work but it's worth trying, and then I'd just use the oven glue to stick the seal in place permanently. Not so good for cleaning, but 'er indoors will just have to learn to live with that. My question is: can anyone recommend a good oven glue that's readily available here in Thailand, preferably from Lazada? Thanks for any help.

539747609_ovenseal.thumb.jpg.823e1447d82ca639c6c8a596c939568c.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing will stick to the baked enamel finish on the oven, silicon least of all.

Even if it did, RTV is an acid cure and not good at all around food preparation areas.

You might be able to try "scratching up" the surface and pre-cleaning with alcohol cleaner prior to use of a "neutral cure " silicon.

This is normally available at electrical shops/ outlets however, the rubber itself is a slippery mother material so back to square one I'm afraid.

10 minutes ago, bluejets said:

Nothing will stick to the baked enamel finish on the oven, silicon least of all.

Even if it did, RTV is an acid cure and not good at all around food preparation areas.

You might be able to try "scratching up" the surface and pre-cleaning with alcohol cleaner prior to use of a "neutral cure " silicon.

This is normally available at electrical shops/ outlets however, the rubber itself is a slippery mother material so back to square one I'm afraid.

Silicone is used to make glass aquariums , so I think it would stick to baked enamel .

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

Most of the oven door seals are very similar and attach with the same system. As its stretchy rubber you have quite a bit of play to make them work. I got one from aliexpress a few years ago and it worked fine. Glue wont work - the materials are too different need a mechanical fixing.

In-laws had one on an old gas oven they use - fail. i attached it back on with a self tapper screw. Very agricultural but it worked.

• Like 1