Acceptable noise level in a condominium? I am looking for numbers

On 1/8/2022 at 6:12 PM, Airalee said:

Soundproofing isn’t about “thicker walls”

Your immediate neighbors (above/below/to the sides) will hear your subwoofer.  A well sealed door won’t make a bit of difference.

Disagree, a well sealed door will make a difference. A lot of sound escapes through the door.

On 1/8/2022 at 6:29 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks for your reply.

Normally I like your very knowable replies. But in this case I am a little confused.

Noise, talking, screaming, music, maybe using some tools, are not only low frequencies.

I understand that it is difficult (and maybe very difficult to impossible) to soundproof low frequencies which are often created by subwoofers.

But medium and high frequencies can be soundproofed.

I am sure you know all this. So maybe what you are saying, or not saying is: Don't worry about the medium and high frequencies because they are not a big problem. The big problem are the low frequencies and you can't remove them easily. Is that what you think?

I am learning and I appreciate your advice. 

It's simple. If you make noise inside your dwelling that other people can hear in their dwelling then you  are being too noisy and antisocial.

There is simply no need  for loud domestic music systems anymore with the development  of ear bud/ headphones  technology. Nobody need ever listen to headbanging highway hell ever again just because of adolescent  retardation

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

It's simple. If you make noise inside your dwelling that other people can hear in their dwelling then you  are being too noisy and antisocial.

There is simply no need  for loud domestic music systems anymore with the development  of ear bud/ headphones  technology. Nobody need ever listen to headbanging highway hell ever again just because of adolescent  retardation

What about people learning/playing instruments? Piano, Saxophon? According to your logic none of that should be allowed, but all of that is allowed during normal daytimes. 

1 minute ago, ThomasThBKK said:

What about people learning/playing instruments? Piano, Saxophon? According to your logic none of that should be allowed, but all of that is allowed during normal daytimes. 

They practice their instruments in music practice  rooms and rehearsal studios! Not in condominiums! Why should  other people suffer from drills, music  hammers, tile cutters  violins or any excessive noise. Again, with modern  earphone technology it is not necessary  to play instruments outbound. The basic rule of civilised communal living is don't make loud noises that will disturb  other people! If it can be heard outside of your apartment  the chances are you will be disturbing many people not just one person. Bad music played by amateurs  is a nightmare

14 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

No, it's not so simple.

Listen to music with headphones and listen to it with speakers. There is a big difference.

If you don't believe me, ask Paul:

33 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks. And I am reading the recommended book already. Interesting! And I have a lot to learn.

And then there is of course the money issue. I am willing to pay a couple of thousand USD to have a good sound system. But when 3 or 5,000 is not enough anymore then at some stage the question comes up: How important is that for me. Am I really willing to spend huge amounts of money on that? Especially with the subs. One good sub is already expensive. Two or more of them cost a lot of money and then I can't even crank them up in my apartment. I guess one should be enough for me.

DIY for subwoofers is always an option, start small with a single one and upgrade over time (or not), most peoples audio system grows over the years, no one really starts with lots of stuff. 

Partsexpress has good DIY kits.

Small subs like the SVS micros, REL t5 or t7 etc work also fine for small rooms, position and having multiples is more important than lots of headroom and a bigger sub imo. Especially in condos. Thailand also has a healthy used market on facebook marketplace, fortune town in bkk etc...

personally in our condo i have a KEF LS50W system and 2x KC62 subwoofers from KEF, it does well enough and i don't need an extra AMP. 

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

No, it's not so simple.

Listen to music with headphones and listen to it with speakers. There is a big difference.

If you don't believe me, ask Paul:

As long I am not listening to your music I don't care. You can listen  to it as loud as you like that is your right... so long as I don't hear it. That is my right. Listening to loud music is an infantile  expression  of indulgence usually  outgrown in late adolescence. You can listen till your ears bleed as long as it does not interfere  with your neighbours' life. If loud music is part of your  life style then own a bigger house.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

a well sealed door will make a difference.

When our neighbors were making a racket refurbishing their room so they could rent it out to the next tenant, the door made little difference. The vibrations into the concrete walls from drilling and grinding send shock waves and nuisance vibrations across multiple floors. Getting a good contractor in that can minimize this helps, our juristic office seemed to vet the kind of contractors allowed into do this and at what times. The room owner was never there so could care less otherwise.

3 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

As long I am not listening to your music I don't care. You can listen  to it as loud as you like that is your right... so long as I don't hear it. That is my right. Listening to loud music is an infantile  expression  of indulgence usually  outgrown in late adolescence. You can listen till your ears bleed as long as it does not interfere  with your neighbours' life. If loud music is part of your  life style then own a bigger house.

Maybe you should have a look at the beginning of this thread.

It's about sound isolation and it's about making sure not to annoy the neighbors.

If you want to listen with your headphones, fine. I also enjoy music and movies together with my gf and I am pretty sure it wouldn't be much fun without speakers and with both of us putting earbuds in our ears.

And I care about my neighbors, this is why I started this thread. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's about sound isolation and it's about making sure not to annoy the neighbors.

If you want to listen with your headphones, fine. I also enjoy music and movies together with my gf and I am pretty sure it wouldn't be much fun without speakers and with both of us putting earbuds in our ears.

OK. You wanted numbers. 80db from 10 am to 10pm is considered a standard  in London. After warnings the council  can remove equipment.

Regarding  headphones v speakers. Headphones  give a much more detailed sound vision.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You can’t start a thread like this without all the malcontents rushing in to tell us how “antisocial” and “juvenile” we are…even when we try to be thoughtful towards our neighbors.  It gives them a purpose in life.  Whatever.  And I agree with you.  Earphones suck.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks. And I am reading the recommended book already. Interesting! And I have a lot to learn.

And then there is of course the money issue. I am willing to pay a couple of thousand USD to have a good sound system. But when 3 or 5,000 is not enough anymore then at some stage the question comes up: How important is that for me. Am I really willing to spend huge amounts of money on that? Especially with the subs. One good sub is already expensive. Two or more of them cost a lot of money and then I can't even crank them up in my apartment. I guess one should be enough for me.

A subwoofer will actually help with low volume listening.  I only have one subwoofer in my system and feel that it is adequate.  Of course, two would be better but I am trying my best to avoid the upgrade bug.  A couple thousand quickly becomes that 3-5k that you talk about which then becomes a slippery slope and sooner or later you’ll end up with too much damn stereo gear that you should probably sell but will find a reason not to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

DIY for subwoofers is always an option, start small with a single one and upgrade over time (or not), most peoples audio system grows over the years, no one really starts with lots of stuff. 

Partsexpress has good DIY kits.

Small subs like the SVS micros, REL t5 or t7 etc work also fine for small rooms, position and having multiples is more important than lots of headroom and a bigger sub imo. Especially in condos. Thailand also has a healthy used market on facebook marketplace, fortune town in bkk etc...

personally in our condo i have a KEF LS50W system and 2x KC62 subwoofers from KEF, it does well enough and i don't need an extra AMP. 

Facebook marketplace is great for stereo gear.  I can’t keep myself off of it.  Lots of high end bargains.

1 hour ago, Airalee said:

You can’t start a thread like this without all the malcontents rushing in to tell us how “antisocial” and “juvenile” we are…even when we try to be thoughtful towards our neighbors.  It gives them a purpose in life.  Whatever.  And I agree with you.  Earphones suck.

The problem is that anti social juveniles have little self awareness and frequently  do not care how much misery  they cause. As adults we accept that certain living conditions determine  certain lifestyles. The greatest improvement  to music  listening in the last 50 years has been the  development  of headphones technology creating the most brilliant  multi dimensional soundscapes. The greatest source  of complaints, fights, arguments and unhappiness  in modern communities  is noisy neighbours.

• Thanks 1

You have the right to hear music.

That right ends at your neighbors ears.

The solution is headphones.

Acceptable level is your neighbors not hearing your music, and vice versa.

(Although it seems to me that you do not intend to honor their right to privacy and the quiet enjoyment of their home).

Edited by JimmyJ

1 minute ago, JimmyJ said:

You have the right to hear music.

That right ends at your neighbors ears.

The solution is headphones.

That sound like the idea for a great party.

Everybody wears headphones - and probably everybody with his own music.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You and your gf watch movies and you need to soundproof.

OK.

Invest the money instead in an audiologist appointment followed by both of you getting whatever hearing aids will help you both to hear well without forcing your neighbors to hear with you.

Edited by JimmyJ

If this is about not annoying the neighbors as you state rather than selfishness, it is very simple to solve at no expense.

You tell your neighbors "If the music/movie sound from my unit is ever too loud for you, please knock and let me know.

I will be glad to turn it down."

Asking what is "acceptable" is asking what the legal limit is before the police shut you down.

This is different than not wanting to annoy the neighbors.

Edited by JimmyJ

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The problem is that anti social juveniles have little self awareness and frequently  do not care how much misery  they cause. As adults we accept that certain living conditions determine  certain lifestyles. The greatest improvement  to music  listening in the last 50 years has been the  development  of headphones technology creating the most brilliant  multi dimensional soundscapes. The greatest source  of complaints, fights, arguments and unhappiness  in modern communities  is noisy neighbours.

“Anti social juveniles” as you seem to histrionically refer to usually don’t start threads asking about soundproofing.  They also usually don’t engage with their neighbors in order to determine how loud something can be without their neighbor hearing it.  I’m sure if someone started a thread asking where is the best place to shop for stereo gear, you would probably feel the need to come in and berate them, call them “anti social juveniles” and then extol the virtues of headphones….but whatever….you do you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Airalee said:

“Anti social juveniles” as you seem to histrionically refer to usually don’t start threads asking about soundproofing.  They also usually don’t engage with their neighbors in order to determine how loud something can be without their neighbor hearing it.  I’m sure if someone started a thread asking where is the best place to shop for stereo gear, you would probably feel the need to come in and berate them, call them “anti social juveniles” and then extol the virtues of headphones….but whatever….you do you.

No they don't. "Anti social juveniles” are typically busing getting petitions signed to eliminate leaf-blowers, and showing up with security to complain about the smoke from someone cooking hot-dogs in the common area for their kid's birthday... 

Jeeze how I wish dude lived next door to me.....

Edited by Yellowtail
  • Haha 2

The apartment above mine was redecorating and a jackhammer would start up at 9am so I went out for the day. Next day, more jackhammering so I went out again. 
On the fourth or fifth day, same thing so I went and inspected the project. One guy removing ceramic tiles in a small bathroom. The entire project could have been completed in 4 hours but noooo, this nitwit would jackhammer for ten minutes and apparently take a long break, then do a bit more jackhammering.  
A week to do a 4 hour project! Zero consideration of the neighbors. 

Edited by LarrySR
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, LarrySR said:

The apartment above mine was redecorating and a jackhammer would start up at 9am so I went out for the day. Next day, more jackhammering so I went out again. 
On the fourth or fifth day, same thing so I went and inspected the project. One guy removing ceramic tiles in a small bathroom. The entire project could have been completed in 4 hours but noooo, this nitwit would jackhammer for ten minutes and apparently take a long break, then do a bit more jackhammering.  
A week to do a 4 hour project! Zero consideration of the neighbors. 

Probably a condo owner that fancies themself a general contractor paying a daily rate... 

• Haha 1

In modern nicer condos how are they soundproofing between floors? Could I pull off hitting golf balls without bothering my neighbors? In places I've lived the floors seemed solid, I never heard any noise travel between them besides drilling sounds. I'm pretty sure there will be sounds in the hallway, but everywhere I've lived, sound magically disappears between rooms.

Won't be hitting any drivers, just irons. The sound of the club hitting the mat is more like a medium frequency thud than something bassy. The sound of the ball will be really loud but more high-pitched. Would it help at all to put a layer of carpet under everything, and acoustic foam on the walls?