Possible to get into Thailand with a less invasive PCR test?

edwardandtubs

Most other countries now use less invasive PCR tests that use a swab from the throat and nostrils (just one to two centimetres in) or even just saliva. It seems if you want to enter Thailand though you still have to undergo the nasopharyngeal swabs that go deep inside the nose right into the skull. Is this what they're still using at Phuket airport? Is there any way, either sandbox or quarantine, of getting a less invasive PCR test?

• Haha 1

Entry into Thailand from which country ?

The only requirement is for an negative RT-PCR test result. 

Different hospitals / clinics etc will use slightly different methods. 

From the UK we used Randox, picked up the test kit, self administer the Swab at home and sent off the swab.

The next day we received our result.

I don’t think there is a way in which we can control how invasive the tests are administered in the Phuket test sites and airport - the nurse there will administer the tests as they’ve been trained. 

- It would appear that the one of the most contagious diseases in history that forces us all to socially distance, wear masks etc can’t be detected unless a swab is pushed to the very depths of our sinuses !!!!! 

Green Park Resort. Test was made there and returned after ca. 8 hours, so I did not have to stay over night.

The rooms there have a balkony. Important when you're locked in.

Roomservice works.

I would go there again for T&G

Edited by JustAnotherHun
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

From the UK we used Randox, picked up the test kit, self administer the Swab at home and sent off the swab.

Yikes! That explains the high number of people arriving in Thailand from the UK who test positive on arrival.

• Like 1

Just now, BritTim said:

Yikes! That explains the high number of people arriving in Thailand from the UK who test positive on arrival.

Is there a high number of people from the UK testing positive ????? Really ???? how many ? link or stats to back that up ????

Who would ‘fake’ a test knowing there is going to be a tested on arrival anyway ??? - it’d be a pretty dumb thing to do.

I’d personally rather test positive in the UK and isolate at home there than test positive in Thailand and have to isolate in a hospitel / hospital.

We ‘swabbed’ well.... not as deep as they do in Thailand (full on darkest depths of the sinuses) but we swabbed the throat and as deep into the nose as was comfortable. We wanted to do it properly and avoid any issues down the road (of being positive). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

We ‘swabbed’ well.... not as deep as they do in Thailand (full on darkest depths of the sinuses)

Interestingly I have had 2 PCR tests since arriving back on 30th and found both experiences milder than expected.

2 different people but I think from same hospital took nasal and throat swabs but the nasal ones felt the same as the PCR I had in the UK before I left and possibly not even as deep.

To be honest, like you, I am more concerned about the effectiveness rather than the degree of invasiveness.

• Like 1

Is there a high number of people from the UK testing positive ????? Really ???? how many ? link or stats to back that up ????

In recent days, the CCSA has only reported a total figure for the number of imported infections each day (currently around 200 a day). On January 1st, the last day a breakdown was provided when the total number of imported infections was only 146 for the previous day, 21 of these was from the UK (23 from the US, and much lower numbers spread out over 35 other countries). The best English source that consistently summarises the CCSA daily reports is the Bangkok Post. Forum rules prevent me quoting or linking their articles. The Thai Public Relations Department provides much of the information from the CCSA in videos such as https://www.facebook.com/thailandprd/videos/1127728044636789/. If you can read Thai, visit https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/ where you can see the CCSA updates