Filing a Lawsuit in Thailand

Can a foreign-owned business get a fair shot in a lawsuit against a Thai PCL? 

It's a shipping issue. We personally deliver LCL freight to Thai PCL employees at the container freight station. The container is closed the next day. The container is opened 2 months later at a US Customs warehouse and the goods are tainted by some type of chemical fumes. Seems like a home run to us, but for some reason the Thai PCL doesn't respond to a demand letter.  

Is the court system fair? Is who owns a large interest in the PCL a key factor? 

1 hour ago, tsk3009 said:

Can a foreign-owned business get a fair shot in a lawsuit against a Thai PCL? 

I would think it would be difficult to determine exactly when and where the chemical contamination occurred.  

I would "think" that there should have been insurance to cover the shipment in the event of loss or damage.  

One thing is always true and that is even those winning lawsuits and being awarded damages are still left trying to find a way to collect the damages.  

• Like 1

We know for a fact that the contamination occurred after we delivered it to the PCL at their container loading station. I personally delivered it to the container loading station near Bangkok. I was personally there to pick it up from the Customs warehouse in LA.

We know for a fact that US Customs did not fumigate the container. The PCL also claimed to not fumigate it.  

We requested an insurance quotation from the PCL just prior to shipment. They never gave us one and the invoice we received after it already shipped didn't include insurance. The PCL claims shipping insurance wouldn't cover this type of incident.