what is the penalty for one day late to extend retirement visa?

Maybe take the wife to a local clinic this evening to get treatment AND a doctor's note saying in her current condition she's unable to travel, it could help clear her from an overstay, not sure about the husband though.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

If you've ever suffered from lower back pain, I think you'd recommend paying the 500 THB fine instead of enduring the pain of travel.

This is not about the fine, it is about being granted a visa extension.

2 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

This is not about the fine, it is about being granted a visa extension.

37 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration will do the exenson after the overstay fine is paid.

People have been able to apply for their extensions a few days late.

• Like 1

I really don't understand people. Waiting for the very last day is never a good idea or, were you afraid of loosing some days? Well you don't.

In the very best case: you wille have to pay 500THB for the overstay.

In the worst case you shall have to start all over again as by the law: an expired extension of stay cannot be renewed. You are now complete dependent on the goodwill of the I.O.

I wonder what people have so important and urgent to do, as retired, so they don't think at the most important thing by staying in Thailand: be sure your extension is up to date. Some people needs for everything a helping hand and I ask myself: how did they make it, on they own, to come to Thailand?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My view there is no excuse for forgetting the extension to stay and 90 days, there are so many options to make one aware of the date and one can do it long before one does not wait until the last day.  The 2 most important things for me to live here in Thailand are extension to stay and report 90 days.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, In Full Agreement said:

If you've ever suffered from lower back pain, I think you'd recommend paying the 500 THB fine instead of enduring the pain of travel.

Or simply have to restart the retirement extension process again which is what could very possibly happen to the op and his wife.

I most definitely know my answer to that one, it's a no brainer.

Anyway, hope it works out satisfactorily.

• Like 1

I do not understand why people wait until the last day to go to Immigration to do their extension paperwork. .I go 30 days BEFORE expire date to "renew" retirement extension.

What happens if there is a problem that needs to be solved - last day you have NO time to solve the problem.

You loose NO time on a extension renew, on a 90 day report, your 90 days start as soon as you make the report - I also do 5 days early ""in case"". 

Had a friend do a last day 90 day report late in the afternoon, the IO wanted to see his rental agreement ( same address 10 years ) before the 90 day would be processed

Be safe, do all reports, extensions and paper work as soon as possible instead of waiting until the last minute.

NOTE: I ALWAYS file a TM-30 anytime I move as POSSESSOR. YOU are responsible for ANY and ALL paperwork being up-to-date. (The above NOTE was advise from a IO at a place where I lived at one time)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, edwardflory said:

I do not understand why people wait until the last day to go to Immigration to do their extension paperwork. .I go 30 days BEFORE expire date to "renew" retirement extension.

What happens if there is a problem that needs to be solved - last day you have NO time to solve the problem.

You loose NO time on a extension renew, on a 90 day report, your 90 days start as soon as you make the report - I also do 5 days early ""in case"". 

Had a friend do a last day 90 day report late in the afternoon, the IO wanted to see his rental agreement ( same address 10 years ) before the 90 day would be processed

Be safe, do all reports, extensions and paper work as soon as possible instead of waiting until the last minute.

NOTE: I ALWAYS file a TM-30 anytime I move as POSSESSOR. YOU are responsible for ANY and ALL paperwork being up-to-date. (The above NOTE was advise from a IO at a place where I lived at one time)

Good for you.

For one reason or another the OP has overlooked his due date and has added complication of wife with back issue.

Think the various courses of action have already been outlined in the thread. 

• Like 1

Do not compare extensions to 90 day...they are very different. It is a fine per day for 90 days but you still have a valid visa. If you let your visa expire, I don't think you can apply on an expired visa. You have entered overstay territory....

Will have to pay your way out to let them to accept your visa extension. Just incredible someone would wait to extend to your last day of a visa and be at the mercy of Thai immigration to call all the shots....I am being nice....

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Rory Pedley said:

Mine was canceled. Had to go on Tourist Visa until I went back to Australia and reapply for Retirement Visa.

But I hope that the  ฿500 fine people are right.????

How many days overstay did they not allow you to obtain extension.

Don't follow what you mean by cancelled. 

If your permission of stay had expired there is nothing to cancel.

How did you then obtain tourist visa?

You would need to have exited Thailand to obtain tourist visa. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thailand said:

For retirement extension or 90 days? Did not know there was any latitude for extension of stay based on retirement?

Immigration will do an extension after 500 baht per day overstay fine is paid if only a few days over. I forgot (misread) my expire date and went up 8 days late. Had all paperwork for retire extension with me. (this happened at CW 4 years ago)  IO said nothing till the end, then said  "that's 1900 baht for your retirement extension and 4,000 baht for your 8 day overstay" Always have gone a week or more early after that in case I forget somepaperwork , photos or they want something they didn't ask for before.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Technically, as the Op intends applying tomorrow, there is no overstay. This is because his new extension should start from tomorrow and cover him. ????

Yes there is.

4 or 5 years ago I had to do an extension based on income + money in the bank.
The Embassy letter got held up in the post ( actually delivered to the wrong address) so I applied the day after my extension expired.
No problem, I paid the 500 Baht fine and got my new extension.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Latitude? Not sure whether I got you right, but extension can be done up to 30 days before due date.

45 days sometimes/  some offices.

Correct. At Chaeng Wattana, you can come in upto 45 days before the date of the extension 

21 hours ago, Chris.B said:

200-300 km is a hell of a journey, if Immigration close at 4:00pm you might not make it anyway?

Not to mention that he will probably need to call in at a branch of his bank en route for an account confirmation letter + statement if his office requires one for the 800k method.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

Not to mention that he will probably need to call in at a branch of his bank en route for an account confirmation letter + statement if his office requires one for the 800k method.

Perhaps you should read the two posts from op just above yours. ????