How to take money out of Thailand?

1 hour ago, david555 said:

OR just convert to euros and carry with you :        He has Euros .... but not in paper shape bills , and max allowed 20 000 USD value in any currency (if follow the Thai rules )

He won't have Euros, UOB will only pay him cash in THB.   Amounts over USD20,000 equivalent can be taken out, they just have to be declared on exit.

It cost me 1350 baht to do an international transfer out of Thailand, on numerous occasions 

I left Oct 20 and transferred out the money I had on deposit for my retirement visa. And much more from property sales before that.

Anyone can transfer up to 50,000 USD per day out of Thailand, you don't have to have a work permit, I didn't. If they say you do they are just blowing you off with a handy excuse.

You do need to find THAT person at the bank who will co-operate with you.

Go in person to your bank and tell them you want to make an international transfer

You'll need the swift number of your receiving bank, account number, IBAN number. Your passport of course

Tell them you want to transfer the 25K Euro, they will send it as Thai baht and the receiving bank will convert it to Euro.

Takes about 30 minutes or so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Precisely. Travel with 20k euros and 50 baht and he's virtually there. Yes TCS do exist..

Each member of his party can carry their full allowance if he has  kids or wife

or write a cheque  and deposit  it in London branch of UOB

Start spending  some now! If he spends it wisely here in Thailand he could blow it all easily

The kids are not allowed to be in the count unless mature ones ...

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He won't have Euros, UOB will only pay him cash in THB.   Amounts over USD20,000 equivalent can be taken out, they just have to be declared on exit.

Of course ....i was only refering to not to  decleared taking out ... i was not complete in my reply .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Out of interest: Does that include inward bound travelers?

Under the Currency headings you can see it is equal as import or export 

IATA - Thailand Customs, Currency & Airport Tax regulations details (iatatravelcentre.com)

a side note ...,Take notice  it is prohibited also to bring gold bullion in ....,but can be kept in official storage at airport ???? until departure ..... ( now i remember that time when Suvarnabhumi was  occupied by yellow shirts  , i saw in a news that time  many gold disappeared ..... ????

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, david555 said:

Under the Currency headings you can see it is equal as import or export 

IATA - Thailand Customs, Currency & Airport Tax regulations details (iatatravelcentre.com)

a side note ...,Take notice  it is prohibited also to bring gold bullion in ....,but can be kept in official storage at airport ???? until departure ..... ( now i remember that time when Suvarnabhumi was  occupied by yellow shirts  , i saw in a news  many gold disappeared ..... ????

It's not all they took! But I heard the big Russian  family  holidays  here were about bringing  in and  out currency..

20 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

It's not all they took! But I heard the big Russian  family  holidays  here were about bringing  in and  out currency..

With declaring on Suvarnabhumi  by Thai Customs Cash Reporting Form (see PDF attachment ) you can bring in whatever amount , no restrictions on foreign currency , so no problem for those Russians neither i guess  ????

ThaiCustomsCashReportingForm.pdf

Edited by david555

I received an answer from UOB about this this morning.

"Funds that are deposit in a FDA (Foreign Devices Account) for Visa purposes and have been transferred from abroad by SWIFT will be send back by SWIFT to the same bank where the funds came from."
"The remaining funds, deducted with the costs of sending the funds back, will be send back in the same devices ad it was send.

Seems that the only requirement will be to go to Bangkok before I leave and visit UOB (Serie Center) to start the transfer to Europe of my FDA account.

Wait and see if it's true .....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

"Funds that are deposit in a FDA (Foreign Devices Account) for Visa purposes and have been transferred from abroad by SWIFT will be send back by SWIFT to the same bank where the funds came from."
"The remaining funds, deducted with the costs of sending the funds back, will be send back in the same devices ad it was send.

Seems that the only requirement will be to go to Bangkok before I leave and visit UOB (Serie Center) to start the transfer to Europe of my FDA account.

Good news anyway ????....,

BTW i am in a kind in same situation , but keeping 800 000 Thb for ret ext. use , and last December i transferred 400 000 Thb out too E.U. homebank , as i also am  leaving , so i have  send the allowed go under from the  800K , but keep 400 000+ on bank until i definitive take airplane out of Thailand , no problem for me transferring out as said before , but yes mine is in Thai baht currency 

Edited by david555

16 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

I do hope so for your sake.

11 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

Done it several times in the last 2 years

Good to hear.  Maybe they have eased the process in recent times to fall in line with the competition.  I have been refused in the past, I was told by them that it was only available for repatriation of salary and required a work permit.

1 hour ago, david555 said:

Good news anyway ????....,

BTW i am in a kind in same situation , but keeping 800 000 Thb for ret ext. use , and last December i transferred 400 000 Thb out too E.U. homebank , as i also am  leaving , so i have  send the allowed go under from the  800K , but keep 400 000+ on bank until i definitive take airplane out of Thailand , no problem for me transferring out as said before , but yes mine is in Thai baht currency 

As far as I uderstood the email from UOB, they would send the funds back ONLY if the funds had been send to Thailand by SWIFT and marked that it was for VISA purposes.
My devices are in EURO, which makes a little bit more complicated.
But the bank(s) seem to have made an agreement that if the money was brought to Thailand by SWIFT for Visa purposes, they would send it back in the same way and to the same bank when you leave the country.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

But Thailand  does not allow transfers of money out of Thailand to swift. If you CAN transfer  to swift  then you  can transfer  to a normal bank

The Thai banking system and the rules and regulations of the Ministry of Finance and the Central Bank treat Foreign Currency Deposit (FCD) accounts differently from Thai Baht (THB) accounts. Bangkok Bank, for example, has this information in their FAQ:

Can I transfer foreign currency from FCD account into overseas saving account?

Yes, and the withdrawal transaction fees for FCD accounts will be varied depending on the currency between 0.25%-1.25% Of withdrawal money (minimum at 500 baht) and fees will be applies for transferring money to overseas (400 or 1,150 baht for major currencies except JPY and HKD). y Bangkok Bank branch providing FCD services.

Source: https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/FCD-Account-for-Non-residents

For all practical purposes, the money sent from abroad to an FCD is treated as if it had never entered Thailand and therefore the remittance from this FCD to an account outside Thailand is not accounted for as a remittance of money from inside Thailand to a another country.

Many years ago, I had and FCD account in CHF at HSCB in Bangkok and when I had no further use of it I sent a registered letter, from Switzerland, to HSCB with instructions to close my account and remit the balance in my favour to my CHF current account at a bank in Switzerland. HSCB made the remittance without raising any question. 

For the OP, it seems to be merely a question of finding an employee at his Thai Bank, the UOB, who is familiar with these rules.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

In K Bank , you can do swift transfer in EUR thru the application itself...

The OP has his FCD account at UOB and therefore would not be able to use the e-banking app of Kasikorn Bank (K-Bank) for the transfer he wishes to make.

8 hours ago, Confuscious said:

As far as I uderstood the email from UOB, they would send the funds back ONLY if the funds had been send to Thailand by SWIFT and marked that it was for VISA purposes.
My devices are in EURO, which makes a little bit more complicated.
But the bank(s) seem to have made an agreement that if the money was brought to Thailand by SWIFT for Visa purposes, they would send it back in the same way and to the same bank when you leave the country.

I do not understand what you mean with "My devices are in EURO". 

Bank accounts gets opened and closed. Ask UOB to give you a copy of the name of the law and applicable section number or the government rule or regulation published in the Government Gazette requiring that the Thai bank is allowed to make the remittance only to the same foreign bank account from which the original remittance to UOB originated.

How did you remit money from Europe to your FCD account at UOB if not by SWIFT? I can't think of any other way.

P.S. ???? It just occurred to me that you might be of French mother tongue and with "devices" you meant "currencies"

French: devises

English: currencies

For the purpose of a remittance from your FCD account at UOB to your bank account in Europe, the fact that these two accounts are denominated in EUR makes no difference. The same Thai rules apply to all currencies.

Edited by Maestro
added postscript

4 hours ago, Maestro said:

I do not understand what you mean with "My devices are in EURO". 

Devices = Currency

Bank accounts gets opened and closed. Ask UOB to give you a copy of the name of the law and applicable section number or the government rule or regulation published in the Government Gazette requiring that the Thai bank is allowed to make the remittance only to the same foreign bank account from which the original remittance to UOB originated.

It is not a law.
It is a rule of the bank that every foreign currency transferred to the bank account by SWIFT and with the Note that it is for Visa purposes will be transferred back to the original bank without conversion to Thai Baht.

Capice?

How did you remit money from Europe to your FCD account at UOB if not by SWIFT? I can't think of any other way.

I said already several times that the money (funds, currency, or whatever) was sent to UOB by SWIFT with the note that it was for Visa purposes.
Please, try to follow the thread before making comments.

P.S. ???? It just occurred to me that you might be of French mother tongue and with "devices" you meant "currencies"

French: devises

English: currencies

I am not French, but that is up to you.

For the purpose of a remittance from your FCD account at UOB to your bank account in Europe, the fact that these two accounts are denominated in EUR makes no difference. The same Thai rules apply to all currencies.

I don't know which rules you are at, but in this case there will be NO conversion to Thai baht.

Edited by Confuscious
Send before ready
  • Like 1