COVID Insurance Arranged for Visitors upon Arrival

webfact

11 hours ago, charmonman said:

As is typical, this article raises more questions than it answers. As previous posters have mentioned, covid-19 insurance is a condition of receiving a Thailand Pass. Without a Thailand Pass you can't even board a plane to go to Thailand. So how the heck are people arriving in Thailand without already having covid-19 insurance? It seems this is a question that should have been addressed in this article.

I am constantly amazed by the sheer amount of shoddy journalism out there.

Shoddy "journalism" is a universal plague of the 21st century

11 hours ago, NanaSomchai said:

As I'm physically there myself, I can only concur.

Spain:

Cádiz: Daytime weather: 20, night time: 12.

Canary Islands: Daytime weather: 22, night time: 14.

Portugal:

Lisbon: Daytime weather: 16, night time: 11.

"UK":

Gibraltar: Daytime weather: 15, night time: 12.

And in case you're really in the mood:

Cyprus:

Limassol: Daytime weather: 17, night time: 13.

Too cold for me, love the heat and humidity.

14 hours ago, RandiRona said:

Reading from Thailand scam book of temple closed today...will show you tailors....

Your Insurance no good...buy this good for 70k bhat now on Airport or cant come in.....

Money in everyone's pocket...Wais all around!

Yes, plus can't criticize or go to jail for defamation of the Thai Government. Ha!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Expat insurance policies will almost always pay a hospital directly but many travel policies do not, or do so only by special arrangement.

As stated I think it depends who you are with when it comes to travel insurance? My bill at the Bangkok Samui some years ago was a shade over £500, so was settled direct as described. The experience was not the best though as despite them having the policy and the insurance agent’s confirmation that they would pay, until the money was in the bank, I was made to feel like a criminal and even tailed by a security guard every time that I went outside for a smoke. Because of this I just went to one of the local hospitals for my follow up jabs. Excellent treatment at the Bangkok Samui but their attitude just stank!

14 hours ago, Gold Star said:

Perhaps since so many have been incarcerated for 10 days in an expensive hospital upon arrival without testing positive or having Covid, normal insurance won't pay the extremely high bill, as they could not present documentation of any infection. 

Such was the case of my friend from the UK on Dec 25, and he refused to pay for his wretched detainment.

Good luck when it comes to exiting the Country !

8 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

This is sounding like insurance to cover your insurance that won’t pay if you arrive with Covid, If you have a policy to cover you for Covid it may only cover you if you contract Covid-19 after you arrive , not arrive with it ??????  Thoughts 

No, I think the issues are  (1) some travel policies only reimburse and won't pay the hospital directly  and (2) some policies will nto cover medically unnecessary hospitalization.

Since anyone travelling here will have had to have had a negative COVID test pre-departure I don't think the date of onset/diagnosis would be an issue.

22 hours ago, Sheryl said:

No, you can't.

What they are talking about is people who might wish to supplement their insurance with a COVID specific, Thai-issued policy.

Surely "might wish" implies it's voluntary anyway? IF that's the case, then having already got insurance in order to get TP and visa, doesn't it become a non-issue? 

I only thought I was confused before, now I know I am! ????

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 6:10 AM, hioctane said:

The way most insurance works is that you pay first and the insurance reimburses you. Some people seem to think that since they have insurance, they don’t have to fork over a dime. ????‍♂️ 

I have never forked out a dime with mine or my families health insurance at any hospital we have used in Thailand over last 20 years or so. We present our insurance card, they contact the agent in Thailand and that's it I think the largest claim was circa 700,000.  

52 minutes ago, VBF said:

Surely "might wish" implies it's voluntary anyway? IF that's the case, then having already got insurance in order to get TP and visa, doesn't it become a non-issue? 

I only thought I was confused before, now I know I am! ????

Nothing in the article suggests or implies it is mandatory.

If they wanted to make these specific new policies mandatory, they could just make it a condition of the TP to begin with instead of accepting any policy that meets the criteria.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, jonclark said:

I have never forked out a dime with mine or my families health insurance at any hospital we have used in Thailand over last 20 years or so. We present our insurance card, they contact the agent in Thailand and that's it I think the largest claim was circa 700,000.  

This is the norm with regular health insurance. Though anyone taking out a policy should certainly check. Sometimes an insurer has direct payment arrangement with only some hospitals.

Some travel policies, however, require upfront payment - either altogether or for expenses below a certain threshhold. This, too, one should check before buying a policy.

I just checked in at LHR this morning for my flight to Bangkok under the test and go scheme, at check in the woman only wanted to see my passport and my flight ticket and the Thailand pass QR code, she never asked to see my proof of insurance (of course I had it ready to show her) strangely enough I checked in on a one way flight ticket ie..LHR to BKK I had used a company called one way fly to purchase a flight out of Thailand within my 30 day entry but she never asked to see any details of a flight out of Thailand…I guess I’ve got it just in case immigration ask to see it at swampy

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Nothing in the article suggests or implies it is mandatory.

If they wanted to make these specific new policies mandatory, they could just make it a condition of the TP to begin with instead of accepting any policy that meets the criteria.

Thank you @Sheryl

I was really struggling to see where it was mandatory and why so many people were getting up in arms about it! 

I must admit, the title doesn't say its mandatory and re-reading it, the OP does say:

"The visitors who lacked the insurance must take out policies and the coverage which matched COVID-19 treatment in the country would take immediate effect....."

Quite a few people made the same assumption, and it does beg the question of how anyone is arriving by air without a TP. Then again, the OIP doesn't mention airborne arrivals specifically. Something of a "storm in a teacup" perhaps? 

I checked in for my Thai airways flight to Bangkok from London Heathrow on Friday morning, all check in wanted to see was Thailand pass QR code and my negative PCR test, she didn’t ask to see my Thailand pass insurance or anything else….I arrived at swampy at 05.45 Saturday morning, the Thailand pass people only asked for Thailand pass QR code, negative PCR test before boarding flight and my one night test and go hotel booking, they also never asked to see my insurance,I got to immigration and he just wanted my passport my TM6 (filled in on the plane) my Thailand pass QR code and my hotel reservation, he also never asked to see my insurance…I’m happy to pay for the insurance but it was never asked for at any stage of my journey, I will also add that all the process at swampy were smoothly run and efficient, also the quarantine hotels were being run like clockwork no messing about and very efficient, for those of you wanting to go down a few levels to the BTS station to change your money up….it ain’t going to happen from baggage reclaim it’s all roped off and you are funnelled into the quarantine hotel area which is at gate 10

Edited by essex boys
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, essex boys said:

I checked in for my Thai airways flight to Bangkok from London Heathrow on Friday morning, all check in wanted to see was Thailand pass QR code and my negative PCR test, she didn’t ask to see my Thailand pass insurance or anything else….I arrived at swampy at 05.45 Saturday morning, the Thailand pass people only asked for Thailand pass QR code, negative PCR test before boarding flight and my one night test and go hotel booking, they also never asked to see my insurance,I got to immigration and he just wanted my passport my TM6 (filled in on the plane) my Thailand pass QR code and my hotel reservation, he also never asked to see my insurance…I’m happy to pay for the insurance but it was never asked for at any stage of my journey, I will also add that all the process at swampy were smoothly run and efficient, also the quarantine hotels were being run like clockwork no messing about and very efficient, for those of you wanting to go down a few levels to the BTS station to change your money up….it ain’t going to happen from baggage reclaim it’s all roped off and you are funnelled into the quarantine hotel area which is at gate 10

Although they did nto ask to see your insurance, they did require your TP. Insurance  was required to get the TP and you would not have gotten TP without it.

• Like 2

I went to Immigration today. No matter what, you need insurance now to enter Thailand, no matter what. You also need insurance to renew your visa, no matter what. The plan I got was from thailandcovidinsurance DOT com. I got this as it is Thailand Pass approved and had no troubles with Immigration at the airport. They will jump on Google Meet and talk to clients to confirm the current situation in Thailand as well. There are other plans out there, check them out.

Edited by dcraus
  • Confused 1