New car time! This time - the 19 year old son

pedro01

16 hours ago, DavisH said:

My son may end up at Mahidol this year. He will probably stay at the dorm, as its also quite far from where we live (Nonthaburi). He doesn't seem so interested ing wtting his licence any time soon though.

Does your son want to travel each day between uni and home? If it's far this can cut into study time considerably. 

I do like the cx-3 actually, and may be suitable if there is just 1-2 in the car. Or the honda civic. 

The CX-3 is an excellent choice, if you are going down this route. Just get the base plus model at 809k, he does not need the add-ons which are both expensive and would confuse a young driver.

• Haha 1

On 1/15/2022 at 10:00 PM, DavisH said:

My son may end up at Mahidol this year. He will probably stay at the dorm, as its also quite far from where we live (Nonthaburi). He doesn't seem so interested ing wtting his licence any time soon though.

Does your son want to travel each day between uni and home? If it's far this can cut into study time considerably. 

I do like the cx-3 actually, and may be suitable if there is just 1-2 in the car. Or the honda civic. 

He will have the dorm and be coming home i presume when the laundry basket is full.

On 1/15/2022 at 10:44 PM, Lacessit said:

Buying a new car for a 19 yo is not something I would do. Secondhand banger, so he could learn driving without all the modern frills.

Statistics say most new drivers have their accidents in the first three months of driving. Myself and my son both reinforced said statistic.

We may rent for a few months lets see how he does.

I only buy new here though. Just s personal preferance.

On 1/16/2022 at 9:56 AM, tonray said:

Rent him a room near campus....when he graduates get him a new vehicle.

I dont see the upside in that.

He'll get laid more with a car.

He is also a drumer, singer and pianist who will study music. He'll be lugging gear around a lot.

1 hour ago, bang saen guy said:

Mazda has an automatic tranny, not CVT

I'm not sure you are allowed to use that word any more.

But he's learning on Auto. Which is like riding a go-kart.

But I am worried. He had his first 4 hour lesson on Monday, they took him on their track an then around Lad Krabang. He has 1 more 4 hour lesson then his test on Saturday. I know it's auto but that seems bizarre.

Funny thing though - when I asked how his first lesson was, he told me the instructor said he had good "6th sense" - so that's ok then./

There is absolutely zero chance he'll be ready to drive on his own even if he passes his test. So - he'll get a rental 2 months first. 

12 hours ago, pedro01 said:

I'm not sure you are allowed to use that word any more.

But he's learning on Auto. Which is like riding a go-kart.

But I am worried. He had his first 4 hour lesson on Monday, they took him on their track an then around Lad Krabang. He has 1 more 4 hour lesson then his test on Saturday. I know it's auto but that seems bizarre.

Funny thing though - when I asked how his first lesson was, he told me the instructor said he had good "6th sense" - so that's ok then./

There is absolutely zero chance he'll be ready to drive on his own even if he passes his test. So - he'll get a rental 2 months first. 

You should ride shotgun and advise him along the way. When you feel confident he can drive by himself, let him on his way. This could be done before university starts. It's easy to get a licence here, and doesn't prove much in terms of driving ability, developing  good judgement, etc. I think it took me 6 months to become conficent on the road, even after any lessons and strict testing procedures. 

Get him something large, like an Everest.

Great view, loads of distance between driver and each corner. With all the seats down plenty of room for all his kit and of course that space can have other uses, but don’t tell his mum.

• Like 1

I have owned a Civic Hatchback turbo and a New Mazda 3 top model. I think the Mazda has nicer interior quality but is let down by the gutless engine only kept mine 3 months. 

The engine in Civic has much more torque lower down and is a far superior engine imho

• 7 months later...

Well - decision is in. We went to the small motor show at Bitec last week and he decided on the Suzuki XL7.

It's kind of like a miniature Pajero - but 6 seater and the back 2 rows of seats fold down -  just in case he needs to get his drum kit, keyboards, amps, guitars in it. That was pretty much the deciding factor. That plus the fact I decided to make him pay half...

spacer.png

Cost is just under 800k. Free insurance dah-de-dah - oh - and leather seats upgrade was the motor show special - but he's pretty excited, so I think it's the right car for him and his hobby. Plus lugging stuff from Saphan Sung over to Mahidol University on the other side of town was a pain in the Honday City we rented for him.

BTW - he didn't put a scratch on the rental he's had all this time - but dad managed to do so parking it. 

• Haha 1

On 1/19/2022 at 10:30 AM, JAS21 said:

Get him something large, like an Everest.

Great view, loads of distance between driver and each corner. With all the seats down plenty of room for all his kit and of course that space can have other uses, but don’t tell his mum.

Yes - it's already been mentioned that "<deleted> wagon" should not be used around his mom.

1 hour ago, pedro01 said:

Well - decision is in. We went to the small motor show at Bitec last week and he decided on the Suzuki XL7.

It's kind of like a miniature Pajero - but 6 seater and the back 2 rows of seats fold down -  just in case he needs to get his drum kit, keyboards, amps, guitars in it. That was pretty much the deciding factor. That plus the fact I decided to make him pay half...

spacer.png

Cost is just under 800k. Free insurance dah-de-dah - oh - and leather seats upgrade was the motor show special - but he's pretty excited, so I think it's the right car for him and his hobby. Plus lugging stuff from Saphan Sung over to Mahidol University on the other side of town was a pain in the Honday City we rented for him.

BTW - he didn't put a scratch on the rental he's had all this time - but dad managed to do so parking it. 

Although practical, horrible looking car IMO.

Other cars in this thread better looking but perhaps not as practical....

Horses for course...

1 minute ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I've never heard of buying a new car for a 19 year old boy. 19 years of being chauffeured- then bought a new car!  Is it stating the obvious that he already  sounds spoilt?

I have, are you perhaps envious.....?  :stoner:

45 minutes ago, transam said:

I have, are you perhaps envious.....?  :stoner:

If I was I would say. No, I'm not envious and I'm not a car person. There's just something unsettling about the  creation of entitlement, especially  in such a poor country and giving a brand new car to child who has done nothing to earn it. I bought  my first motor,  Morris  Minor ex GPO van for 30 quid and half an ounce of 'gold leb'. It's very nice to give the kid  a car but perhaps second  hand might  be more  appropriate.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I've never heard of buying a new car for a 19 year old boy. 19 years of being chauffeured- then bought a new car!  Is it stating the obvious that he already  sounds spoilt?

Is it stating the obvious that you struggle to have any comprehension of life beyond your own limited experience ???

This does not sound as though the lad is spoilt at all....   You clearly misunderstand and equate money  equalling spoilt kids. You are wrong...  its also ‘just a car’... its not a big deal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PJ71 said:

Although practical, horrible looking car IMO.

Other cars in this thread better looking but perhaps not as practical....

Horses for course...

Yeah, looks wise, wouldnt have been my 1st choice.

Having him pay half certainly helped but I get why he chose it 'cause going into the motor show it was civic hatchback and mazda cx30 on his mind.

The space in the back of this helped and the test drive was comfy.

He also turned 20 since this thread started.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

If I was I would say. No, I'm not envious and I'm not a car person. There's just something unsettling about the  creation of entitlement, especially  in such a poor country and giving a brand new car to child who has done nothing to earn it. I bought  my first motor,  Morris  Minor ex GPO van for 30 quid and half an ounce of 'gold leb'. It's very nice to give the kid  a car but perhaps second  hand might  be more  appropriate.

Better not mention the $10k drumkit he got for xmas then.

Mind you, he wouldnt be able to run his small business without it.

• Haha 1

On 1/14/2022 at 11:13 AM, KhunLA said:

New ... hell no.  Give him your car, and buy yourself a new one.  Within a year, he'll ding it up a couple times.

I gave my daughter the Mazda 2, and picked up new car for us, and yep, she dinged up 2 out of 4 corners of the car already.  It's what we all do with 1st car.  As a youngin, I totaled a few, used, so were expensive oops.

Smaller is better, easier to miss sh!t, and find parking.

My parents bought new for me for my first car.

sold it 5 years later with not a single scratch, not all of us drive like dead<deleted>s.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

He can do away wiv the push chair now then......????

Busker.thumb.jpg.4978ca41542ba17bc3fb681ff7a9de06.jpg

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

Not many businesses rely on a drum kit. But joking apart, anybody with an ounce of drumming 'talent' could make do with a few oil drums and hollow containers. I have travelled  all over Issan and like you, I know that drums are an intrinsic  part of Thai  culture- Good to know he's in contact with his roots.

Edited by The Hammer2021

34 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Not many businesses rely on a drum kit. But joking apart, anybody with an ounce of drumming 'talent' could make do with a few oil drums and hollow containers. I have travelled  all over Issan and like you, I know that drums are an intrinsic  part of Thai  culture- Good to know he's in contact with his roots.

He sells music to youtubers, so has a professional setup and has the best electronic drum kit Roland produce. Plugs straight into the music productions kit.

A few dustbin lids would not suffice for that. Although i am sure dustbin lid is an option on there.

FB_IMG_1661672642860.jpg.a08303493c4663911cf5042c5da05e89.jpg

Edited by pedro01