Covid-19 Could Become Endemic in 2022, Says DDC

snoop1130

11 hours ago, tomster said:

Mexico is now fully open without silly "Thailand Pass" type requirements

And yesterday Mexico had 45,000 new infections and added 148 to its already high 300,000 deaths. Thailand had 8000 new infections and total deaths added 15 to make under 22,000.

Who does that make silly exactly?

• Like 2

On 1/14/2022 at 8:30 PM, tomster said:

Mexico is now fully open without silly "Thailand Pass" type requirements (others in South and Central America are going the same way) - how long can they justify milking the Covid fear to keep the protests of the streets?

At some point you have to open up properly...

Election coming Q3 or Q4 here, they desperately don't want the old normal back before that or even with 250 blocked seats because they will still get hammered.

It's going to be another very bumpy year, me tinks...

My friends in Mexico now have Covid. Trying to eliminate it, like China is doing , is very doubtful. But they have the Olympics to worry about. It seems to depend on whether or not you think getting Covid is the best idea.

• Like 1

"He stressed the disease can only become an endemic when it has less severity, when people’s immunity rises significantly, and when the country’s medical system is highly capable of handling it."

Grade A gobbledygook.

Categorising a disease as endemic has nothing to do with its severity, neither has it do with the level of peoples immunity or if the medical system is able to deal with it.

Principles of Epidemiology | Lesson 1 - Section 11 - CDC

"The amount of a particular disease that is usually present in a community is referred to as the baseline or endemic level of the disease."

The simple explanation of the term is that a disease is an endemic disease, not "can only become an endemic" when it isn't going away any time soon and has effectively become "part of the furniture"..........it's always there.

Do they really not know what the term means...........or are they trying to keep the reality, one which Thailand shares with the rest of the world, from their population?

I'm going with the latter.

Edited by Enoon
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

till the election is done and dusted would be my guess, then open fully

Election?? These soldiers don't need an election, they have guns which have kept them in power for nearly 8 years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Quite ahead of WHO eh? Mate you are not ahead in ANYTHING, though are behind the world in EVERYTHING. I’ve never read such tripe. Laos and Vietnam are all over you. You’re on par with Burma and North Korea. 

Agreed. But, you forgot to mention Burkina Faso, Sierra Leone, and Papua. All nations Thailand is descending towards. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

And yesterday Mexico had 45,000 new infections and added 148 to its already high 300,000 deaths. Thailand had 8000 new infections and total deaths added 15 to make under 22,000.

Perhaps Mexico does a lot more testing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

till the election is done and dusted would be my guess, then open fully

Except that when the election is done and dusted and they've won democratically (???? ) what's to stop them finding more reasons to restrict people?

Or am I being unduly pessimistic today?

Edited by VBF

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Because Thailand testing rates are one of the lowest in the world. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Andy7575 said:

In 2019 which was pre pandemic the AVERAGE daily death toll in Thailand was 1,386 

I would like to know if all the reported Covid deaths are in addition to the 1,386 people who die every day or could it be that a  proportion of the reported Covid deaths would have died anyway?

There is an enormous difference between dying WITH Covid as opposed to dying FROM Covid 

The term you are grasping for is “excess mortality “.

As for your last point, it’s a tired old cliche which has been explained here repeatedly.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The history of every respiratory pandemic is that it turns into an endemic flu and cold-causer within a year or two even without any intervention of any sort.  The 1918 pandemic did so, the 1890s pandemic believed to be caused by a beta coronavirus (of the same general family as Covid) did so and so have many, many others.

Edited by onthedarkside
misinformation comments removed