Is Thailand rushing to categorize COVID-19 an endemic disease?

webfact

12 minutes ago, Kenchamp said:

I know a few people here in the Pattaya area who have or have had this Omricon variant and ALL of them report mild symptoms. They have all been vaccinated.

Ditto here. 

Vaccination seems to be effective in preventing Omicron symptoms. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For me a critical question is "what has Thailand's leaders learned from the pandemic so far?"  I recall seeing a press release earlier this week that referenced population immunity.  I'm afraid that we're seeing the same "Hope for the best, plan for the best" mentality that was the foundation of the vaccine debacle in 2021.  What if, as data suggests and many predicted, this coronavirus, like other coronaviruses that infect humans, does not trigger long-lasting immune memory?  What is their plan in this scenario? Considering the person leading Thailand's health agency I'd expect silence on such nuance.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Hospitals in the US are at historically high levels of admissions. This does not support your premise. 

Neither does Australian Omicron death statistics which are about to reach record levels.

Omicron "may" be less severe, but its making up for it in volume.

Screen Shot 2565-01-15 at 10.05.21 AM.png

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Not all these though right?

Omicron is not done with us/US, but we now have >155,000 hospitalizations, nearly 26,000 patients in ICUs, and as reported today another almost 2,800 people who died—the majority of all of these outcomes eminently preventable + >926,000 confirmed new cases

FJGqyp-VUAAxHYO.jpg.1aea6e36977b163ebb90011e547d7a80.jpg

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1482154850125160449

Does the linkshow how many are unvaccinated or are ant-vaccers

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Does the linkshow how many are unvaccinated or are ant-vaccers

or are delta, UK omicron cases went through the roof as we know - those needing high level elivated care have stayed flat - no spike...........nothing, in fact down slightly

• Like 2

1 minute ago, smedly said:

or are delta, UK omicron cases went through the roof as we know - those needing high level elivated care have stayed flat - no spike...........nothing, in fact down slightly

The stats are there and don't lie do they?  

It's nearly time to stick a fork in this pandemic and call it over.  WE just have several billion more people for this to sweep through.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

No but the US falls way short of the UK's immunity wall. Link to actual hospital cases source is here https://newsnodes.com/us

The unvaccinated will probably be making up the majority in ICU

It's difficult to get the actual % of un/anti's from uk. I've seen on various news reports on uk figures varying from 60% to 90% of those requiring hospital treatment. BBC/ITV? did show an interview with one lady who was now recoving in hospital and when asked  Do you think now you should have gone for vaccination she would only answer 'maybe'.

Edited by overherebc

1 hour ago, LoveThai94 said:

Those are the old days, hospitals in the US now have a security  at the front or a chain on the door and a phone to call to see if they will let you in.

You better call the ambulance if you are really sick to get by the red tape, not sure about this one.

All around where I am here in Oregon the hospitals are open and accepting walk in patients, albeit if they think they might have covid they go in through a dedicated entrance.  No phone calls and no calling the ambulance as you say.  I landed in the US just a few days ago and as much Covid is supposedly infecting folks, you could only tell by reduced amounts of employee's to stock shelves and work in the restaurants and in the air as well as police and firefighters.  Nurses are also short staffed but others are picking up the slack and making some bank.

Edited by ThailandRyan

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

All around where I am here in Oregon the hospitals are open and accepting walk in patients, albeit if they think they might have covid they go in through a dedicated entrance.  No phone calls and no calling the ambulance as you say.  I landed in the US just a few days ago and as much Covid is supposedly infecting folks, you could only tell by reduced amounts of employee's to stock shelves and work in the restaurants and in the air as well as police and firefighters.  Nurses are also short staffed but others are picking up the slack and making some bank.

I am not disputing that many are sick in America.

The poster said people in the US shows up to the hospitals for minor issues and not necessarily sick. To prevent this many hospital are not just allowing you to walk in.

I have seen this in Ohio, Wisconsin, Illinois and New York.

5 minutes ago, Enoon said:

They really just seem to be looking for a "form of words" that they can place in front of a generally ignorant and easily manipulated population.........prior to abandoning restrictions.

Do you really think that the government is keen to remove restrictions while the people are demanding they stay?  Because it seems like the exact opposite to me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Do you really think that the government is keen to remove restrictions while the people are demanding they stay?  Because it seems like the exact opposite to me.

What is the reason for their "eagerness" to start using the word "endemic"?