Can I change from marriage to retirement.

That's good, I am going to Immigration 11th February for my marriage visa stamp, so it will be no problem double checking with them at the time.

50+ signatures for each of us reduced to more like 20 for me alone. No <deleted> Kor Ror 22 nonsense.

YES.

Edited by OneeyedJohn
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

That's good, I am going to Immigration 11th February for my marriage visa stamp, so it will be no problem double checking with them at the time.

What did you organize regarding your financial requirements to change back to retirement. 

Edited by DrJack54

@OneeyedJohn  Thanks for asking this question.  I just redid my marriage extension and go back next week to get another year.  Neither my wife, myself, or the immigration officer want to go through this again so next year I’ll switch to retirement.

What Im unsure about is the money, I’ll do the 800,000 but do you know if it all needs to be in there 90 days in advance?  I’ve read where proof of insurance is needed, which I have, but is it needed only for the issuance in the visa overseas or when I apply for the yearly extension here?

Good luck!

@DrJack54 I arrived a couple years ago on a Non Immigrant O visa issued in Los Angles.  For the marriage extension I have 400,000 in the bank.  It wouldn’t be too much of a trouble getting that to 800,000 by the time I renew next December but it might take until December to do that.  I’m in Nonthaburi if that makes any difference.

1 hour ago, Chris.B said:

Have you discussed this with your wife yet?   :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Actually years ago I was required to have wife visit immigration to confirm her knowledge prior to approval - there reasoning being Thailand as a joint property state wife has valid interest in anything that may be a sign marriage may be going down the tubes (but suspect more to do with first officers answer can not be wrong).

3 minutes ago, eastbaybob said:

It wouldn’t be too much of a trouble getting that to 800,000 by the time I renew next December but it might take until December to do that

You have the correct advice from ubonjoe above.

Be very clear...the 800k must have been in the bank for 2 months PRIOR to day of application for your extension retirement.

Then the ongoing requirements as per uj post. 

• Like 2

Just now, DrJack54 said:

My understanding is that is a standard requirement. 

I took it as such at the time but have not seen any recent reports (mine was many years ago - and note/medical certificate was provided as an option - but to obtain Medical Certificate would have involved travel - which was the issue).  

1 hour ago, Chris.B said:

Have you discussed this with your wife yet?   :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Actually there is a real issue here. Changing from retirement to marriage requires your wife to present herself at immigration and give her consent. Since the retirement visa is independent of marriage, you could leave your wife without affecting your visa status.

I have to confess this was in the back of my mind when I changed from marriage to a retirement visa. (But there is a lot of stuff in the back of my mind, I should clean it out someday).

Paul Laew

• Confused 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Paulaew said:

Actually there is a real issue here. Changing from retirement to marriage requires your wife to present herself at immigration and give her consent. Since the retirement visa is independent of marriage, you could leave your wife without affecting your visa status.

I have to confess this was in the back of my mind when I changed from marriage to a retirement visa. (But there is a lot of stuff in the back of my mind, I should clean it out someday).

Paul Laew

OTOH if your wife dies before you then AFAIR you can stay until that extension expires after which you have to leave Thailand, One option is if you have young children you should be able to stay until they reach a certain age, what that age is I cannot remember.

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

OTOH if your wife dies before you then AFAIR you can stay until that extension expires....

That is correct. 

Not sure what a under 50 year old would do in that situation. 

Those 50+ could jump onto retirement extension when current marriage extension is due. 

Edited by DrJack54

If I want to extend my visa with the retirement method do I have to show 800k in bank for the 12 months prior to when I extend, or just show the 800k for 2 months?

In other words do I need a statement from my bank for 12 months or just 6 months or will the bank letter be enough>

6 minutes ago, monsieurhappy said:

If I want to extend my visa with the retirement method do I have to show 800k in bank for the 12 months prior to when I extend, or just show the 800k for 2 months?

In other words do I need a statement from my bank for 12 months or just 6 months or will the bank letter be enough>

Just the 2 months prior.

Note if you were previously using income method for your marriage extension then those requirements would have needed to be followed. 

If it was money in bank for marriage then just 800k two months prior to your application for extension retirement. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, monsieurhappy said:

You need 800K in the bank 2 months before your application. My IO only require bank statements for 3 months plus a letter from the bank.

46 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Which immigration office. 

FWIW Jomtien. But I have used visa agent for the last 2 years because I was fed up with immigration finding the least little problem to deny me an extention.

Before that I had no problems for approx. 14 years using letter from enbassy and money in bank combo!

After the embassy stopped issuing pension letters the problems started!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, monsieurhappy said:

FWIW Jomtien. But I have used visa agent for the last 2 years because I was fed up with immigration finding the least little problem to deny me an extention.

Before that I had no problems for approx. 14 years using letter from enbassy and money in bank combo!

After the embassy stopped issuing pension letters the problems started!

My query about which office was to another poster. 

In any event your not alone in your frustrations. 

It seems daily posting similar to your experience all involving income method. 

I guess it suits many.

Personally can't understand it for marriage extensions as thinking their money in bank method very simple.

Ultimately depends on your imm office.

Some use income method without issue. 

I'm Oz so yes income method for USA , UK and Oz became bit more difficult when the income letters ended. 

I use money in bank for retirement. It's a breeze. 

Edited by DrJack54

28 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

My query about which office was to another poster. 

In any event your not alone in your frustrations. 

It seems daily posting similar to your experience all involving income method. 

I guess it suits many.

Personally can't understand it for marriage extensions as thinking their money in bank method very simple.

Ultimately depends on your imm office.

Some use income method without issue. 

I'm Oz so yes income method for USA , UK and Oz became bit more difficult when the income letters ended. 

I use money in bank for retirement. It's a breeze. 

The issue for me is that the 800k is designed to show we have the funds for the next year stay they are granting us but now they have taken access away.  As many of us with insurance have to pay up front that money should be available to use in all cases.  For those married it presents in case of death issues as it requires court action for spouse to legally use and that take time.  Yes there were some messing with money but almost all such cases were agent assisted - but as all too often the short stick goes to those that were honest.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Noah K said:

be sure to note that Wise can at times transfer your money into their account at Kasikorn bank (my account is at Bangkok Bank) then Wise will do an inter-bank transfer via SMART

Thanks for post. 

I thought it was the other way round. Meaning Bangkok Bank was the bank that was Wise go to bank.

No matter, what you outline will work for those using income method.