UK Passport renewal

Brian K

On 1/21/2022 at 11:37 AM, JAS21 said:

Applied on Nov 23rd last year at Trendy… advised yesterday that it was ready for collection, so going pm today to pick it up ….

so That's around 9 weeks.  Interestingly enough, a few days after I applied, money for the cost of the passport was taken out of my UK bank account.  Wondering (and hoping) therefore if that means it will take less than the advised 11 weeks.  

Anyone else with the same experience?

1 hour ago, Brian K said:

so That's around 9 weeks.  Interestingly enough, a few days after I applied, money for the cost of the passport was taken out of my UK bank account.  Wondering (and hoping) therefore if that means it will take less than the advised 11 weeks.  

My Thai Credit Card was billed on 7th Dec.

On 1/22/2022 at 3:45 PM, Brian K said:

I have just ( after 2 weeks ) been advised by HMPO that payment by my credit card was not allowed probably / because I am in Thailand and payment is taken in the UK.
I have made purchases before in Thailand and no problems.
My accounts are fine and have been with bank for yonks.
Now have to wait for Tuesday ( 3 day week ) to contact HMPO.
Would they accept payment if my daughter in UK paid ?

5 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

I have just ( after 2 weeks ) been advised by HMPO that payment by my credit card was not allowed probably / because I am in Thailand and payment is taken in the UK.
I have made purchases before in Thailand and no problems.
My accounts are fine and have been with bank for yonks.
Now have to wait for Tuesday ( 3 day week ) to contact HMPO.
Would they accept payment if my daughter in UK paid ?

Yes they would.

But likely you just need to contact your credit card company and they will open your card for international/online payments.

The transaction is done in the UK and classed as 'cardholder not present', and thus likely differs from previous transactions. 

17 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Yes they would.

But likely you just need to contact your credit card company and they will open your card for international/online payments.

The transaction is done in the UK and classed as 'cardholder not present', and thus likely differs from previous transactions. 

OP - Thanks for the clarification

On 1/30/2022 at 8:36 PM, mommysboy said:

Yes they would.

Phoned my bank in UK my account is not blocked for anywhere the Passport Office miss read the number I gave them from the back of my credit card as a 3 and not 8.
Phoned PO again who are only open 3 days a week passports are taking 10 weeks and they won't expedite even though it was their error

• 3 weeks later...

Useful thread.  

I just performed the 90 ritual in person and was told that some poor UK passport holders had been caught by UK delays in issuing new passports.  As a result, Thai Immigration had been obliged to issue hefty fines for those left with an invalid passport combined with simultaneous expiry of their annual visas, i.e. no valid passport -> cannot renew visa.  

So...earliest possible application for a new passport was advised to avoid visa renewal difficulties further down the time-line.

Q:  Is there any formally-limited period before which aplications for a new UK passport will not be entertained by the UK issuing authorities?   

3 hours ago, yang123 said:

Useful thread.  

I just performed the 90 ritual in person and was told that some poor UK passport holders had been caught by UK delays in issuing new passports.  As a result, Thai Immigration had been obliged to issue hefty fines for those left with an invalid passport combined with simultaneous expiry of their annual visas, i.e. no valid passport -> cannot renew visa.  

So...earliest possible application for a new passport was advised to avoid visa renewal difficulties further down the time-line.

Q:  Is there any formally-limited period before which aplications for a new UK passport will not be entertained by the UK issuing authorities?   

To be honest, I don't have a lot of sympathy for anyone that doesn't renew their passport when there's only 6 months left on it.  6 months is more than enough time for even the incompetent UK HMPO to renew a passport!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...