Engine seize

Woof999

49 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

To the OP.

Did you speak to them in Thai or English?

Kop khun kab pad Thai ha Moo Cow

Given the above is about the limit of my Thai.... it was a combination of my wife speaking to them and translating back to me, and Google Translate on my phone.

1 hour ago, Woof999 said:

GR Sport, White, 2-3 months.

Nice, mine's the same color. Looking at the specs, it looks like the "new" 2.8 has about 15% more horsepower and 10% more torque than the old 2.8. that's a nice bump. 

While I was disappointed with the 'tuna's performance, I was not sorry we bought it. Almost six year and I still love the seats, like the way it looks & drives, Only about 50Mm, but it has been trouble free but for a couple batteries.

Only thing better than a new car is a new baby, I hope you love it!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

Nice, mine's the same color. Looking at the specs, it looks like the "new" 2.8 has about 15% more horsepower and 10% more torque than the old 2.8. that's a nice bump. 

While I was disappointed with the 'tuna's performance, I was not sorry we bought it. Almost six year and I still love the seats, like the way it looks & drives, Only about 50Mm, but it has been trouble free but for a couple batteries.

Only thing better than a new car is a new baby, I hope you love it!

Thanks. Yes the 500nm torque is pretty decent. Still don't like the very slow kickdown but the wife will drive it much more than me and it's what she wants.

Don't know if the newer 2.8L models are the same but the 2017 2.4L Fortuner I drove recently responded a lot better in Power mode than in Economy mode.  The power mode makes a noticeable difference to kickdown, plus the trans holds gears a longer, keeping revs a little higher and avoiding bogging down.  Power mode does not make it particularly quick but definitely less sluggish.  

On 1/26/2022 at 7:03 AM, Yellowtail said:

Our 2.8 Fortuner TRD we bought new nearly three years ago is on 125,000km and no problems at all. Just regular oil changes etc. Still drives the same as new and amazingly still on the original tyres and I'd say there is another 20k left on those. I'm thinking maybe front disks and pads must not be far off, and those tyres in the next 2-3 mths as I don't believe in letting them get right to the legal limit.  Totally happy with it as you are, great to drive, tough as old boots and imho the best looking of the Japanese SUVs at the time. Later engine has a bit more power, but I don't find this one lacking. 

Edited by Tuvoc

11 hours ago, Jitar said:

Don't know if the newer 2.8L models are the same but the 2017 2.4L Fortuner I drove recently responded a lot better in Power mode than in Economy mode.  The power mode makes a noticeable difference to kickdown, plus the trans holds gears a longer, keeping revs a little higher and avoiding bogging down.  Power mode does not make it particularly quick but definitely less sluggish.  

I have not noticed a significant improvement in the lag using the "power" button. 

If I had to bet, I would bet the lag helps it meet emission requirements.

2 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

Our 2.8 Fortuner TRD we bought new nearly three years ago is on 125,000km and no problems at all. Just regular oil changes etc. Still drives the same as new and amazingly still on the original tyres and I'd say there is another 20k left on those. I'm thinking maybe front disks and pads must not be far off, and those tyres in the next 2-3 mths as I don't believe in letting them get right to the legal limit.  Totally happy with it as you are, great to drive, tough as old boots and imho the best looking of the Japanese SUVs at the time. Later engine has a bit more power, but I don't find this one lacking. 

Yeah, I bought the TRD package just to get the black and red interior.

Thanks for the comments. It was difficult to tell too much about the car during the short test drives that seem the norm here (easy to get a 24 hour or full weekend test drive back in the UK). I did notice the higher revving while in Sport mode though (I think the 3 settings are now Eco, Normal & Sport, but could be wrong).

My days of wanting a fast car are a few years behind me, but on the trips to the province, immediate power for overtaking sure is safer. In the Pajero I'd use the paddle shifters a couple of seconds before the overtake, so I guess it'll be a similar situation in the Fortuner. Not ideal, but it is what it is.

39 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Wonder how the Isuzu MUX with 3.0 diesel compares to the Fortuner. Anybody??

I had an Isuzu Highlander with 3.0l and AT and I did not notice any real power increase when I moved into the 2.8l Fortuner.

Both were purchased new, and the Isuzu was about four years old and 160Mm when I got the 'tuna in 2016/17. I have not driven the new MuX. 

The navigation system was much better in the Isuzu as it was a Kenwood with a Garmin system. Upgrades were B400. It blows that the Toyota's is (apparently) not upgradable. 

Isuzu service for the Highlander costed about half what Toyota gets to service the Fortuner. 

I think the 'tuna drives & rides a little better, has nicer seats, a little quieted and is (IMO) better looking. 

39 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I had an Isuzu Highlander with 3.0l and AT and I did not notice any real power increase when I moved into the 2.8l Fortuner.

Both were purchased new, and the Isuzu was about four years old and 160Mm when I got the 'tuna in 2016/17. I have not driven the new MuX. 

The navigation system was much better in the Isuzu as it was a Kenwood with a Garmin system. Upgrades were B400. It blows that the Toyota's is (apparently) not upgradable. 

Isuzu service for the Highlander costed about half what Toyota gets to service the Fortuner. 

I think the 'tuna drives & rides a little better, has nicer seats, a little quieted and is (IMO) better looking. 

At 1.5 Mil I'm north of where I want to be on the MUX and the Fortuner is more like 1.8 Mil. I like the body of the Fortuner as well. The Isuzu has some nice brownish seats. I've got the Isuzu 4 door pickup 2.8L 2012, it's been good. The MUX probably rides similiar. Thanks your your input.

Edited by EVENKEEL

2 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

At 1.5 Mil I'm north of where I want to be on the MUX and the Fortuner is more like 1.8 Mil. I like the body of the Fortuner as well. The Isuzu has some nice brownish seats. Thanks your your input.

Highlander with a canopy is a great value. 

I think Adiant makes the seats for Isuzu and Toyota both. 

27 minutes ago, seedy said:

Pickup has leaf springs rear, MuX has coils

A lot of guys go on and on about coils, but while the handling improves a little, I don't think the ride difference is that significant. The spring-rate in the MuX's coils are likely very similar to the Highlander's leafs.

I like the 'tuna a little better than the Highlander, but the 'tuna was almost 800K more. 

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

At 1.5 Mil I'm north of where I want to be on the MUX and the Fortuner is more like 1.8 Mil. I like the body of the Fortuner as well. The Isuzu has some nice brownish seats. I've got the Isuzu 4 door pickup 2.8L 2012, it's been good. The MUX probably rides similiar. Thanks your your input.

I had:

~2000 3.0l Tiger with a Carryboy shell

~2003 3.0l A/T 4WD D-Max with a with a Sammitr shell

~2009 3.0l A/T Highlander with a Sammitr shell

~2015  3.0l A/T Highlander with a Sammitr shell

~2016 Spark

2016 2.8l TRD Fortuner

They were all good. I like the Sammitr shells better than the Carryboys because 1. They are steel & 2. I think they are better looking.

For value, you can't beat the Isuzu.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

I think Adient and Summit merged.

I think Summit used to be in a JV with JCI. Adient was spun-off from JCI in 2016/17. Not sure what the relationship is now, but I think Adient is significantly bigger than Summit so likely still a JV. I think they (Adient) have there own plant(s) here as well. 

I went through JCI's foam & frame and cut & sew plants here prior to the spin-off. It was pretty impressive. 

• 3 weeks later...

Can't find a relevant forum for this question and as it relates directly to the replacement car, thought I'd extend this thread.

I need to pay a 600k deposit on this car next week. I have a Krung Sri savings account with visa ATM debit card. Will the dealer be able to take the 600k from the account just using the card or am I likely to have a daily limit or some other block? If so, how to get over this limit?

I would have asked the bank directly but am on a 10 day COVID home isolation and the wife is in hospital (well, a 5 star resort... for free) with the 2 kids doing the same, so no chance of getting an in person answer from the bank and there's no way I can put myself through the pain of calling them.

Thanks.

16 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

Can't find a relevant forum for this question and as it relates directly to the replacement car, thought I'd extend this thread.

I need to pay a 600k deposit on this car next week. I have a Krung Sri savings account with visa ATM debit card. Will the dealer be able to take the 600k from the account just using the card or am I likely to have a daily limit or some other block? If so, how to get over this limit?

I would have asked the bank directly but am on a 10 day COVID home isolation and the wife is in hospital (well, a 5 star resort... for free) with the 2 kids doing the same, so no chance of getting an in person answer from the bank and there's no way I can put myself through the pain of calling them.

Thanks.

I doubt you can use the card. Why would you just not transfer the money directly, get a bank check, or take cash? 

On 1/24/2022 at 3:55 PM, Woof999 said:

The main reason for the Fortuner is that the wife is a midget. The CRV drives much better, has better stereo, would be petrol rather than tractor, and is much cheaper, but sits so much lower. Cross is out for the same reason + the others already mentioned.

Buy her a cushion to sit on, save 300,000 baht.

27 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I doubt you can use the card. Why would you just not transfer the money directly, get a bank check, or take cash? 

Good point. Yes I can use the mobile app to do a transfer, assuming there are no preset limits?

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Buy her a cushion to sit on, save 300,000 baht.

Would save a whole load more than 300k.... It's the overall safety of a bigger SUV that swayed it for me. Different reasons for her.

2 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

Would save a whole load more than 300k.... It's the overall safety of a bigger SUV that swayed it for me. Different reasons for her.

I would suggest safety on Thai roads is more dependent on driver skills than the number of airbags a vehicle has. Proactive vs. reactive.