Engine seize

Woof999

Not sure how often this happens, but someone in the queue was unable to take delivery, so they've swapped positions with us. Car has just arrived at the dealer and is being prepped for delivery on Monday, so around 1 month between ordering and receiving.

274358107_321420189953315_5427300060099052337_n.jpg

16 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

Not sure how often this happens, but someone in the queue was unable to take delivery, so they've swapped positions with us. Car has just arrived at the dealer and is being prepped for delivery on Monday, so around 1 month between ordering and receiving.

274358107_321420189953315_5427300060099052337_n.jpg

Looks great! (almost just like mine) 

I think it happens pretty often, we got our a month or two early for the same reason. 

Ok- what make and model? Is it diesel?

Most vehicles have a warning light for oil level and a warning light for no oil pressure.

You seem certain there was no light.

So you had oil and pressure - (unless there were several warning lights not working!?!)

I therefore wouldn't buy the big end thing unless it had been run hard for several thousand KM. This would have resulted in a gradual increase in engine noise before failure.

I wouldn't go for the "drained and didn't re-fill" theory either as that would have set off a warning light.

I don't know if your vehicle had a cam belt of cam chain - but a cam belt failure could be a possibility - and that would bring about a catastrophic engine failure.

Very few other things will bring about a sudden engine failure - you'd get other warnings.

BELTS: -

Loosing a belt or belts could bring about a water pump failure and the vehicle could have over heated - did you keep an eye on the temp gauge. A fully coming off makes a lot of noise and might lock the engine in extreme circumstances.

If you suspect it was negligence on the large/workshop's behalf, you need to get a qualified second opinion.

This can be done-

If the work was done by a dealership, then go too their brands HQ and ask for another team to look over the vehicle - I did this with Mitsubishi, I also found Nissan HQ in Bangkok helpful to a point as well..

With Mitsu, I got a local independent workshop (not Mitsu) to look over it and then with his report, I went to Mitsu who rapidly sent a team out to fix the vehicle.

with Nissan I went trout the dealership network.

It is useful to have a little practical mechanical knowledge in Thailand. Although in general I've found the work to be very good, from time to time workshops have made very elementary mistakes - some even bizarre - but in general, I've got them rectified quickly and without any confrontation.

Edited by Thunglom

On 2/25/2022 at 4:59 AM, Woof999 said:

Not sure how often this happens, but someone in the queue was unable to take delivery, so they've swapped positions with us. Car has just arrived at the dealer and is being prepped for delivery on Monday, so around 1 month between ordering and receiving

Great news. 

When we got our TRD Sport  3 years ago there was no queue. They showed us the actual vehicle sitting out the back in the stock yard. Maybe it was a cancelled order so we are talking about the same thing !

They are brilliant vehicles, enjoy it !

On 2/25/2022 at 4:26 PM, Thunglom said:

Ok- what make and model? Is it diesel?

Most vehicles have a warning light for oil level and a warning light for no oil pressure.

You seem certain there was no light.

So you had oil and pressure - (unless there were several warning lights not working!?!)

I therefore wouldn't buy the big end thing unless it had been run hard for several thousand KM. This would have resulted in a gradual increase in engine noise before failure.

I wouldn't go for the "drained and didn't re-fill" theory either as that would have set off a warning light.

I don't know if your vehicle had a cam belt of cam chain - but a cam belt failure could be a possibility - and that would bring about a catastrophic engine failure.

Very few other things will bring about a sudden engine failure - you'd get other warnings.

BELTS: -

Loosing a belt or belts could bring about a water pump failure and the vehicle could have over heated - did you keep an eye on the temp gauge. A fully coming off makes a lot of noise and might lock the engine in extreme circumstances.

If you suspect it was negligence on the large/workshop's behalf, you need to get a qualified second opinion.

This can be done-

If the work was done by a dealership, then go too their brands HQ and ask for another team to look over the vehicle - I did this with Mitsubishi, I also found Nissan HQ in Bangkok helpful to a point as well..

With Mitsu, I got a local independent workshop (not Mitsu) to look over it and then with his report, I went to Mitsu who rapidly sent a team out to fix the vehicle.

with Nissan I went trout the dealership network.

It is useful to have a little practical mechanical knowledge in Thailand. Although in general I've found the work to be very good, from time to time workshops have made very elementary mistakes - some even bizarre - but in general, I've got them rectified quickly and without any confrontation.

Thanks for the words, but yes a little late unfortunately. New car arrived on 28th Feb.

On 2/25/2022 at 12:19 PM, Yellowtail said:

Looks great! (almost just like mine) 

I think it happens pretty often, we got our a month or two early for the same reason. 

On 2/26/2022 at 5:58 PM, Tuvoc said:

Great news. 

When we got our TRD Sport  3 years ago there was no queue. They showed us the actual vehicle sitting out the back in the stock yard. Maybe it was a cancelled order so we are talking about the same thing !

They are brilliant vehicles, enjoy it !

Indeed it is very nice. Much quieter on the road than I remember in the test drive. Certainly more refined than the old Pajero although that was still a fine car. The people we sold the car to have already replaced the engine and put it up for sale (in the region on 500k I believe). the new engine cost them in the region of 60k plus labour.

A few things are really lacking though. I already mentioned some, but after having the car for almost a week:

1.) Memory seats. A $60k top of the range car that doesn't have the ability to remember 2 or more different drivers positions is a pain in the rear. My wife and I are about as different in size as you can get. Constantly having to manually move the seat / mirrors is something that I didn't think I'd have to do again.

2.) No lumber adjustment on the front seats. They are nice, and they are probably about right for me, but zero adjustment surprised me.

3.) The in car entertainment is bloody awful. As soon as I find an aftermarket unit that still full integrates with all the cameras then I will buy it, at any cost.

4.) No front video recording. In Thailand this is a must. I really didn't want to buy a separate one. The car has a million cameras in it, none that I can use in case of an accident.

5.) As above, but rear camera recording.

6.) The turn cameras only come on at REALLY low speed and turn off too soon. Unless you crawl around corners they are of little use. The Honda CRV I tested was MUCH better in this regard.

7.) No auto folding mirrors. You can buy after-market servos to do this, but to install them you need to totally dismantle the doors and alter the wiring. Really?

8.) Main instrument cluster is old school and dated on a 2022 car.

9.) 3rd row seats take up too much room when folded.

10.) It's taller than the Pajero. I've not worked out how to actually get into it without looking bloody awkward. This is more a reflection on my current athleticism than the car though.

11.) The wife asked for dark tints. 40 on the front windows and 60 everywhere else. Looks the nuts in the daytime but dangerous at night. Not really the car's fault, but no chance of blaming the wife either, so I guess it's my fault.

Loads of positives though, and as soon as that god awful head unit is replaced with one that offers real features, real navigation and real recording (did I mention that I think the in car entertainment is pathetic?) then the other niggles are just minor.

It does look the <deleted> and the headlights are superb. First car I've owned here with projector lights. The Pajero was severely lacking in that regard.

15 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

Indeed it is very nice. Much quieter on the road than I remember in the test drive. Certainly more refined than the old Pajero although that was still a fine car. The people we sold the car to have already replaced the engine and put it up for sale (in the region on 500k I believe). the new engine cost them in the region of 60k plus labour.

What kind of engine did they end up getting. junkyard?  

A few things are really lacking though. I already mentioned some, but after having the car for almost a week:

1.) Memory seats. A $60k top of the range car that doesn't have the ability to remember 2 or more different drivers positions is a pain in the rear. My wife and I are about as different in size as you can get. Constantly having to manually move the seat / mirrors is something that I didn't think I'd have to do again.

I'm all the way back and down, so this does not bother me.  

2.) No lumber adjustment on the front seats. They are nice, and they are probably about right for me, but zero adjustment surprised me.

Not sure if mine has it or not. I know my last Highlander did, but I still like the 'tuna seats better. 

3.) The in car entertainment is bloody awful. As soon as I find an aftermarket unit that still full integrates with all the cameras then I will buy it, at any cost.

I thought mine was okay, but it would be nice to get the maps updated

5.) As above, but rear camera recording.

I need to get cameras... 

6.) The turn cameras only come on at REALLY low speed and turn off too soon. Unless you crawl around corners they are of little use. The Honda CRV I tested was MUCH better in this regard.

What do they show, the curb?  

7.) No auto folding mirrors. You can buy after-market servos to do this, but to install them you need to totally dismantle the doors and alter the wiring. Really?

I never had them so I don't miss them

8.) Main instrument cluster is old school and dated on a 2022 car.

But it's on a 2015 platform. With that much market share, companies tend to coast.  

9.) 3rd row seats take up too much room when folded.

These are ridiculous 

10.) It's taller than the Pajero. I've not worked out how to actually get into it without looking bloody awkward. This is more a reflection on my current athleticism than the car though.

I had not noticed this. It can't be that much higher than the PJS.

11.) The wife asked for dark tints. 40 on the front windows and 60 everywhere else. Looks the nuts in the daytime but dangerous at night. Not really the car's fault, but no chance of blaming the wife either, so I guess it's my fault.

You need to get this changed. Indoor parking and using the side mirrors blows even during the day.

Loads of positives though, and as soon as that god awful head unit is replaced with one that offers real features, real navigation and real recording (did I mention that I think the in car entertainment is pathetic?) then the other niggles are just minor.

It does look the <deleted> and the headlights are superb. First car I've owned here with projector lights. The Pajero was severely lacking in that regard.

My biggest gripe it the auto stop-start you have to turn off every time you get in. 

4 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

What kind of engine did they end up getting. junkyard?  

I think so yes.

What do they show, the curb?  

It shows a reasonably good 360 degree view, plus top down.

My biggest gripe it the auto stop-start you have to turn off every time you get in. 

For me, I always forget to fold the mirrors and you can only do that with ignition on. So I park up, turn off the engine, get out, see the mirrors are still out, lean back in, press the fold button, nothing happens, press the start/stop button, fold the mirrors, press start / stop again TWICE to turn everything off and then be on my way.

After looking at your photos. Cause of failure was oil starvation due to old oil being thick like sludge, which blocked oilways causing the engine equivalent of a heart attack. Needs total rebuild with ALL new bearings and new crank if old one is beyond machining. New exchange engine is another way.

This is what happens when you don't change the oil and filter regularly.

On 3/5/2022 at 2:15 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

After looking at your photos. Cause of failure was oil starvation due to old oil being thick like sludge, which blocked oilways causing the engine equivalent of a heart attack. Needs total rebuild with ALL new bearings and new crank if old one is beyond machining. New exchange engine is another way.

This is what happens when you don't change the oil and filter regularly.

How many km does it take for that to happen ?  Are you saying that is the cumulative effect of several long oil change intervals or just one instance of an extreme excessively long interval of 50,000km or something ?