Education inequality – The state school teachers’ dilemma

snoop1130

17 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Got you and agree on most points. There is also the other aspect of teaching styles and how a teacher engages with the students which I have always found very important. The more a teacher invests in educational outcomes through lesson planning and being attentive to individual needs the better the outcomes. Treat the students with respect and you gain respect in return.

Returning to my points on tech, I've experienced both, when I was at school with no meaningful technology to facilitate and the here and now when there is. Following my daughters recent years progression in education, tech has certainly helped in all subjects including Maths with some excellent interactive programmes that are indiviually set to a persons level of achievement and challenge them in an investigation based comprehensive curriculum that assists all students levels, its an excellent add on to the normal 4 times a week school lessons.

Moving on some of the projects that have been carried out by her in other subjects are dependent on her own investigation. For example a recent history project was the "Black Death" The only guidance given was the length of essay needed, bullet points covered and guidance on possible websites to visit. This approach relied on the students ability to be independent in investigation, engage with the subject achieving a real interest in the outcome. End results a piece of work they can call their own and be proud of.

However wishful thinking for a Thai government school as everybody needs their own laptop and internet but still something to aspire to if they ever get round to overhauling the whole sorry state of affairs including the rife corruption.

Nothing you wrote has anything to do with the reality in state schools. They are just your theories and thoughts about education in general.

The topic of this thread is; Education inequality – The state school teachers’ dilemma

Is your daughter in a state school?

25 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Nothing you wrote has anything to do with the reality in state schools. They are just your theories and thoughts about education in general.

The topic of this thread is; Education inequality – The state school teachers’ dilemma

Is your daughter in a state school?

The topic of the thread is more than the headline, perhaps you missed my points on funding on the OP article and Thailand's world educational rankings in the article.

Then giving an example from an international school on how better outcomes can achieved. However you stick to the blackboard and chalk.

Edited by Bkk Brian

19 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

There you go assuming I was confused and off topic. You're wrong again and the main reason I've ended my debates with you.

I didn't realise there was a debate going on.

I only noted that you extrapolated a statement of basic educational standards needing to be raised in state schools, to mean that he was stating that technology should not be used at any stage.

No; I think he meant that the standards are too low in the first place. My point in that I was doing advanced algebra at ten with nothing but a text book and someone who took the time to explain and be sure that he was understood, made the difference.

Are you suggesting that now there is technology, the average ten year old has more knowledge than I did at ten? 

No need for technology in that scenario. If children need a computer or even a calculator for their basic education; that's already a fail.

Many people, including myself, were appalled when calculators were allowed in Maths classes.

The children are being increasingly 'dumbed down' these days.

Edited by Bruno123
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

I didn't realise there was a debate going on.

I only noted that you extrapolated a statement of basic educational standards needing to be raised in state schools, to mean that he was stating that technology should not be used at any stage.

No; I think he meant that the standards are too low in the first place. My point in that I was doing advanced algebra at ten with nothing but a text book and someone who took the time to explain and be sure that he was understood, made the difference.

Are you suggesting that now there is technology, the average ten year old has more knowledge than I did at ten? 

No need for technology in that scenario. If children need a computer or even a calculator for their basic education; that's already a fail.

Many people, including myself, were appalled when calculators were allowed in Maths classes.

The children are being increasingly 'dumbed down' these days.

Ok so you assume what he meant and I will do the same. As for kids being dumbed down, well thats your opinion but I would agree in Thailand government schools it certainly seems that way

Edited by Bkk Brian

19 hours ago, hotchilli said:

NO.....

She is not lazy, she's asking me to explain it... so she understands.

Not getting me to do it.

DON'T TWIST MY POST!

@hotchilli ok. so she was too lazy to listen to the foreign teacher in the actual lesson then, cuz talking to her friends or looking at her phone.   the 'cant understand the foreign teacher' is one of the most used excuses for lazy thai students.   a easy get out clause.  

• Sad 1

Firstly the schools need to rectify the no fail policy. This can easily be done by having the students and parent sign a contract, stating that the student can fail subjects if no effort is forthcoming. and the student will have to attend extra classes during holidays and possibly having to pay towards the extra tuition. In 16 years of teaching in Thailand, I do and will continue to fail students, I give them an opportunity to re-sit, but, when a student who hasn't attended lessons or taking any tests, and there are normally at least 2 or 3. I refuse. I will sign the paperwork and then leave it to the head of department as to what they do. When I have a large number of students a semester I will stand my ground. As a fully licensed Thai teacher, I remind them I have my rights too! Plus the smaller undermanned schools should arrange with the area education office to have students teachers  attend to add extra input for the students and even have the larger schools send a teacher and M6 or Rajabhat students to add more interest and learning chances for them, It's a win win situation for all and a boost for the area, The smaller school only have to provide lunch!

Another idea would be Area education offices could employ direct a team of 4 NES who would travel to school in their area and offer some English language teaching to them, 2 teachers each visiting ten schools per week, each having 2 hours per week to supplement and help encourage students, and perhaps a couple of larger schools all 4 together! Have done it before and it works well,

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Got you and agree on most points. There is also the other aspect of teaching styles and how a teacher engages with the students which I have always found very important. The more a teacher invests in educational outcomes through lesson planning and being attentive to individual needs the better the outcomes. Treat the students with respect and you gain respect in return.

Returning to my points on tech, I've experienced both, when I was at school with no meaningful technology to facilitate and the here and now when there is. Following my daughters recent years progression in education, tech has certainly helped in all subjects including Maths with some excellent interactive programmes that are indiviually set to a persons level of achievement and challenge them in an investigation based comprehensive curriculum that assists all students levels, its an excellent add on to the normal 4 times a week school lessons.

Moving on some of the projects that have been carried out by her in other subjects are dependent on her own investigation. For example a recent history project was the "Black Death" The only guidance given was the length of essay needed, bullet points covered and guidance on possible websites to visit. This approach relied on the students ability to be independent in investigation, engage with the subject achieving a real interest in the outcome. End results a piece of work they can call their own and be proud of.

However wishful thinking for a Thai government school as everybody needs their own laptop and internet but still something to aspire to if they ever get round to overhauling the whole sorry state of affairs including the rife corruption.

nothing more to add .... fully agree

Education costing more than Defense in Thailand - hardly possible. 

The question "We all know something has gone wrong in our education system, but what exactly is it?" cannot be serious - everybody knows for decades, what is wrong with the education system. 

But as long as those who could invoke changes are benefitting from the status quo - just forget it. Be kind enough though and do not start rhetorics like "what exactly is it?". Not all readers are THAT stupid or NON-educated to follow that humping trail ???? Pathetic farçe! 

18 hours ago, Hammerite said:

Childrens educational results are generally more dependent on the support  and attitude  of the parents than on the quality of teaching or facilities or the amount  of money spent.

Not sure what this says about Thailand!!!

Maybe  good jobs being reserved  for those with connections has something to do  with it?

True, but also down to the education of the parents, likely they’ve had just as bad experience as their children are having now. Never ending circle of failure for so many, although there are of course exceptions.

On 1/18/2022 at 8:25 AM, hotchilli said:

So why does my next door neighbours daughter ask me to help with her school work because her "non-native English teacher" from Cameroon cannot be understood by anyone in the class?

Yes, I have the same situation. My neigbhour's kid has a teacher from Newcastle and nobody understands him. I tried to talk to him, but didn't fare much better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/17/2022 at 6:19 PM, StayinThailand2much said:

Let me guess...

Last in ASEAN: the "stone-age" Tasaday 'nation' in the highland rainforest of Mindanao. Second-last: Korowai ("unaware of any other peoples") nation in West Papua. Third from the bottom: the glorious ("We are #1 in everything, so why bother learning English?") Thai nation!

Known as the Neanderthai

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Maybe things have changed in the last five-years (joking):

1.  schools need Air-Conditioning in every room.   Teaching in 40 C is fun!! Kids also love it!!

2.  45 kids in a class, and then read Number 1.

3.  pay teachers for 12 months, not 11 or 10 or some made up number.

4.  kids know they can do nothing, say nothing, whatever....pass

5.  having teachers do gate duty, teach up to 5 hours a day, then some weird extra-assignments....yea, high turnover.

6.  pick one or two countries and only hire people from those countries.  Africans, Americans, Brits, S. Africans, etc......it just confuses the kids for an entire year, or longer.

7.  the pay is horrible, but that won't change anytime soon.   it was like 900 a month.  lol  Thai teachers at like 400 USD, some lower, some much, much higher.   Directors are rich, maybe even 400,000 a month.  not sure.   

8.  change the curriculum.  books are bad,  outdated teaching methods, etc...

9.  corruption.  bad buildings built, equipment bought, etc....all because of corruption 

10.....list never ends..............lol