Thailand’s new entry fee – boon or bust for tourism?

webfact

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

2018-2020

Return Chiang Mai to ChangSha 2,500bht.

Return ChaingMai to Saigon 2,000bht.

Return Chiang Mai to Da Nang 2,200bht.

Return Chiang Mai to Hanoi 2,300bht.

Return Chiang Mai to Siem Reap 4,000bht.

Return Chiang Mai to Phnom Penh 5,000bht.

Mostly AirAsia

Yeah right, plus plus plus! You’re dreaming if you think the ticket price is all there is to it. I’m surprised there’s not a coin slot on board to get in the loo.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Capella said:

It's only 300 Baht, for heaven's sake. 

It is only 300 baht (for now) but I'm just curious about where it will be going. Supposedly it's for insurance and tourist infrastructure ? No details about the insurance coverage, I'm sure there will be lots of small print excluding just about everything. Tourist infrastructure ? Can we expect to see signs in English and other non - Thai languages at tourist destinations telling us what we are actually looking at ? Or perhaps even entrance fees written in English showing the difference between Thai and farang prices instead of hiding it in Thai script.

Call me sceptical, but if there are any improvements made it will be for all visitors, including the Thais that are not financing this "tourist infrastructure".

29 minutes ago, Saanim said:

If you are e.g. in Germany or Switzerland in a spa city they charge so called Kurtax, procedure practised for ages. Wondering whether the visitors in their forums complain about that much higher amount similarly as they complain in Thailand (about 10 bucks).  

Very unlikely, whinging is a way of life to many on here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jesimps said:

If that's the case, why is it cheaper to buy a return ticket UK-Thailand from the UK end than here? Not being a smart ass, just hoping you can let me know the reason.

I'm not so sure that the following exercise was a totally fair and accurate example, however Emirates BKK to MAN  outbound 9th February  inbound 16th February returned 71,360 baht , so let's say at 45 baht to the GBP Sterling £1586 (ish).  MAN to BKK outbound and inbound the same dates came in at £2216 . I've been travelling back and forth from the UK to LoS for 12 years and have varied my  bookings accordingly because as you point out on occasions UK-Thailand-UK routing can be cheaper.

I use different Emirates sites ( that is  .uk and .com) and pay using a card in  whichever currency the site is based.  Can't comment on other airlines, so again your experience could be 100% true all of the time.  Fare calculation and pricing in the airline business is very complex, however I do know that the taxes and charges in the UK cost more for business class than for economy, even to the extent that  they also factor in extra charges just to transit through DXB.  I always worked on the basis that  Thailand and the UAE airports aren't squeezing every last penny out of the visitors to their country thus they don't charge extortionate levies. We in the UK have to live with the fact we have very few options in terms of transport to exit the country. 

Screenshot 2022-01-18 at 15.38.48.png

Screenshot 2022-01-18 at 15.40.45.png

Edited by DaLa
missing screen prints

1 hour ago, Chelseafan said:

I'm a left-turner so usually pay around 180,000+, though not for much longer, prices are going through the roof!

Hi Chelseafan, that is left, or to be more precise upstairs. The rates for bus/1st are a bargain presently. I've just checked and 1st is now down to 128,590. I'be booked several flights at these rates especially as they have no change fees. Long may it last.  PS. I personally prefer to spend the extra cash on better hotels / meals / entertainment (cough) than 1st.  Do you return 1st for every home game?

148175739_Screenshot2022-01-18at16_14_20.thumb.png.d02f53d00f056086a0c64c8e0055bd39.png

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Thanks for the list and it was Air Asia that I also regularly flew with to/from Khon Kaen via DMK to ASEAN destinations in Cambodia, Vietnam, Burma and Laos. Happy days and no "entry surcharge"!

Bob Dylan had it right.

Holidaymakers are often used to it – many destinations require to pay a tourist tax. Often the fee is incorporated into the overall fee, for example in an airline ticket, during payment at hotels or at Airbnb apartments. In recent years this has become a common trend in the industry and more and more countries are likely to implement these rules sooner rather than later.

https://www.tourism-review.com/tourist-tax-all-around-the-world-news10978

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

We don't use race to decide the entry price there. We're better than that.

Only a racist would make such a comment. The policy of dual pricing is based on residency, as is the dual pricing on Scottish buses.

I got a card to go to Pattaya floating market as the same price as a Thai. I got into Muang Boran at the Thai price with my yellow book and other places with my pink card.

I have also encountered those that would choose to interpret the policy differently and just walk away.

It is a sad mentality that tars a nation with the same brush.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

Are most of you clicking through to the main article? It says this.

What do tourists get?
The government says that in exchange for the Bt300 fee, foreigners will get medical insurance coverage of up to Bt500,000 and Bt1 million in case of death or serious injury.

If that covers covid, I think it's a win. So many questions though ....

• How long is the coverage good for?
  • Will it work for expats returning?
  • Does it cover private hospitals?
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, BadSpottedDog said:

Are most of you clicking through to the main article? It says this.

What do tourists get?
The government says that in exchange for the Bt300 fee, foreigners will get medical insurance coverage of up to Bt500,000 and Bt1 million in case of death or serious injury.

If that covers covid, I think it's a win. So many questions though ....

• How long is the coverage good for?
  • Will it work for expats returning?
  • Does it cover private hospitals?

Good points . Also how have they arrived at the figures.  Allowing for say 50% in administrative costs they are looking at 1 in 3000 requiring treatment in hospital and 1 in 6000 with death  (I'm not sure how to differentiate death and serious).  We'll know the answer to your questions next week and then once the system starts running they will change those answers.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Karma80 said:

I'm stunned someone even thinks this news. If you genuinely feel aggrieved or strongly about $9 being hidden in your plane ticket, alongside the barrage of additional landing, departure, fuel surcharges, passenger movement fees and so on, you're really going to have a miserable time in Thailand ????

Do try to remember not every one is rolling in money. but then you don't have to think like that no doubt.