Thailand’s new entry fee – boon or bust for tourism?

webfact

Most tourists have to pay more than 2000 Baht already for a visa in their own country. If the Thai government will only focus at the richer tourists the small tourism businesses will slowly extinct. Tourism business will only thrive by large numbers, not by the elite only.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, BadSpottedDog said:

Are most of you clicking through to the main article? It says this.

What do tourists get?
The government says that in exchange for the Bt300 fee, foreigners will get medical insurance coverage of up to Bt500,000 and Bt1 million in case of death or serious injury.

If that covers covid, I think it's a win. So many questions though ....

• How long is the coverage good for?
  • Will it work for expats returning?
  • Does it cover private hospitals?

More to the point, is their any truth to it? somehow I doubt it very much...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Most of the international flights I take cost under 1,500bht (many at 1,000bht).

Adding another 300bht to the ticket is a 20-30% rise.

Not that it matters any more, easy cheap international travel is gone for good IMHO.

"Most of the international flights I take cost under 1,500bht (many at 1,000bht)."

Are you sure you don't mean "internal" flights? ????

• Like 1

An after Covid point.

How will this work at land borders ( when they open again )

Will every non Thai passport holder have to fork out 300 cash on the way in?

How will the bean counters keep track of it?

Will they have to keep a receipt in their passport or will they get a stamp 

( small or full page ) stating fee paid?

Just askin'

5 minutes ago, sambum said:

"Most of the international flights I take cost under 1,500bht (many at 1,000bht)."

Are you sure you don't mean "internal" flights? ????

It was always cheaper to fly to China/Vietnam/Cambodia/Philippines than it was to fly on internal flights.

And less problems getting from the foreign airports than the Thai airports.

And of course another 3 months entry on my 1 year multi entry non 'o'.

In Vietnam they even had a airport bus (Saigon/Da Nang/Hanoi) for $1-$2.

7 hours ago, internationalism said:

"While Thailand has never charged an entry fee before, many other nations have"

That is a lie.

Each international air exit is 700b (included in price of ticket).

Before BKK airport was moved from Don Muang that was 600b cash on departure.

That is a special airport tax, on top of all others calculated by airline.

Never heard about entry tax to any european countries. Besides, the EU travel can't be taxed by each country separately.

Each and every entering thailand has minimum $50k health insurance. That's condition to get the TP. Insurance policy is checked at departure airport, on landing in thailand. Even stupid hotels require it before booking T&G, Sandbox, AQ.

How 20% (out of 300b), that is 60b premium, might help?

Premiums for travel and health insurance are hundreds and thousands $. Those 60b (less than $2) is absolutely nothing to upgrade insurance policy in any way. That is just a con.

7 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I think it will be embedded in the PSC on any airline ticket. So thais will be paying this 300 baht surcharge, along with the existing 700 baht PSC.

The existing 700 baht PSC is designated as "TS" on the e-ticket pricing breakout. Assume they'll keep the same designation, just increase it to 1,000 baht, then AoT will trough it.

That was the beauty of the old cash (500 baht at the time) departure fee. Foreigners could be charged while thais could pass Go.

thais finding out they'll be paying the increased fees...

spit-take-drink.gif

Airport tax is charged at all airports around the world and go to the airports. As far as I can remember, it used to be 150 baht, then 200 - all paid cash at the airline's counter at check in, then 500 that was paid at special booths. Thai nationals also had to pay that. Later on it was increased to 700 and it's charged in the ticket. Most western countries have been charging this tax through the tickets for decades. The US has incoming tax as well, for well over 30 years. UK has one of the most expensive airport taxes, and about 20 years ago they started charging even higher taxes for business and first class travellers. 

BTW- there's also airport tax for domestic travel. Used to be 30 baht years ago, and gone up to 100 baht around the time that international airport tax was increased to 500 baht. 

Up until about 30 years ago Thai citizens had to pay a "going overseas tax" of about 1400 thb on top of the airfare and departure taxes. 

As for other "taxes" airlines charge, well, that started about 15 years ago in order to reduce the commission they had to pay travel agents as commission is (actually was as most airlines give 0 commission now...) only on the actual fare and not on the total including the taxes. It also effected the price of bonus tickets, those you use your accumulated mileage or points to pay for. In the past all you had to pay cash for were the airport taxes. Now most of the price IS the taxes for which you have to pay cash for. 

8 hours ago, internationalism said:

"While Thailand has never charged an entry fee before, many other nations have"

That is a lie.

Each international air exit is 700b (included in price of ticket).

Before BKK airport was moved from Don Muang that was 600b cash on departure.

That is a special airport tax, on top of all others calculated by airline.

Never heard about entry tax to any european countries. Besides, the EU travel can't be taxed by each country separately.

Each and every entering thailand has minimum $50k health insurance. That's condition to get the TP. Insurance policy is checked at departure airport, on landing in thailand. Even stupid hotels require it before booking T&G, Sandbox, AQ.

How 20% (out of 300b), that is 60b premium, might help?

Premiums for travel and health insurance are hundreds and thousands $. Those 60b (less than $2) is absolutely nothing to upgrade insurance policy in any way. That is just a con.

Except it’s not , here in Spain there is a tourist tax levied per night, price depending on how many stars the hotel is. Here in mallorca it can add €70 for a family two week stay.

Anyone complaining over a $10 US dollar fee should not be welcomed to Thailand anyway. The fee should be at the least 3000 bht, and for anyone who doesn’t like it should just go some fukn place else, easy as that.

Edited by Billy A
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Harveyboy said:

do you believe these clown's.. Oh did you also hear Elvis is working in a chip shop in Brighton  

Less than 3 months to find out. Will see. You clearly didn't read the full article nor did any research on the topic..

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

Airport tax is charged at all airports around the world and go to the airports. As far as I can remember, it used to be 150 baht, then 200 - all paid cash at the airline's counter at check in, then 500 that was paid at special booths. Thai nationals also had to pay that. Later on it was increased to 700 and it's charged in the ticket. Most western countries have been charging this tax through the tickets for decades. The US has incoming tax as well, for well over 30 years. UK has one of the most expensive airport taxes, and about 20 years ago they started charging even higher taxes for business and first class travellers. 

BTW- there's also airport tax for domestic travel. Used to be 30 baht years ago, and gone up to 100 baht around the time that international airport tax was increased to 500 baht. 

Up until about 30 years ago Thai citizens had to pay a "going overseas tax" of about 1400 thb on top of the airfare and departure taxes. 

As for other "taxes" airlines charge, well, that started about 15 years ago in order to reduce the commission they had to pay travel agents as commission is (actually was as most airlines give 0 commission now...) only on the actual fare and not on the total including the taxes. It also effected the price of bonus tickets, those you use your accumulated mileage or points to pay for. In the past all you had to pay cash for were the airport taxes. Now most of the price IS the taxes for which you have to pay cash for. 

In 2005 Don Muang take 500 Bath for leaving.... 

9 hours ago, DaLa said:

I'm not so sure I want to label any tax by a government as a 'bargain' , however compared to the rip off airport charges in the UK I can live with 300 baht. My latest booking to the UK cost 73,595 baht of which  34,795 was taxes.

For instance, every time i fly Norwich to Aberdeen you get made to pay £10. Bit of a p1ss take in my opinion. 

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

Because there is no EU entry tax. In the EU countries that charge a tourist tax it is usually collected by hotels on a nightly basis. In some countries it is more per night than Thailand is proposing.

Strikes me many on this forum would prefer the more common system of a nightly charge.

https://ec.europa.eu/growth/sectors/tourism/business-portal/financing-your-business/tourism-related-taxes-across-eu_en#specifictaxes

I certainly would. This one will hit EVERYBODY who flies into Thailand, tourists, returning expats, returning Thais etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaLa said:

Hi Chelseafan, that is left, or to be more precise upstairs. The rates for bus/1st are a bargain presently. I've just checked and 1st is now down to 128,590. I'be booked several flights at these rates especially as they have no change fees. Long may it last.  PS. I personally prefer to spend the extra cash on better hotels / meals / entertainment (cough) than 1st.  Do you return 1st for every home game?

148175739_Screenshot2022-01-18at16_14_20.thumb.png.d02f53d00f056086a0c64c8e0055bd39.png

I usually travel First class with Emirates or Thai. I was paying around 180,000 now they are asking for 220,000. A step too far. Will have to slum it in Biz going forward or until the prices come down...????

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, jaiyen said:

That was roughly the taxi fare to Siam Paragon area. Always thought that was very cheap. Hate to think what it will cost next time !

And that's the other effect of it. When taxi drivers, hotels, restaurants, see the government adding a tax to cover "expenses" they'll see nowt wrong with doing the same. Pretty soon TAT will get their dream because only milllionaires will be able to afford to come here. Except they won't until the money that's being dragged in is actually put to use cleaning the place up and making it worth the increased cost.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I always take a mug and bags of 3in1 and use the free hot water in the airports.

I always enjoy having my own mug when everyone else is drinking from paper/plastic cups.

Only foolish people pay for a coffee at airport prices.

I've got a credit card that comes with Priority Pass.

Your able to use the executive lounges for 3 hours in many airports.

It's nice if you fly a lot.

Don't get to use it much the last two years of the pandemic.

• Like 1

To me, how the proposed B300 fee “goes over” and any impact will depend- (IMHO) on LARGE part to how/when/where it’s collected.

To me, the best way is to “bake” it into the ticket price— like how VAY is largely handled by most shops now.

Also, the benefit for the RTG is that since it will be baked into every ticket, effectively “high tide rises all boats” so all tickets will still outwardly appear to be the same as before … plus.. on a relative basis, a tickets price can easily swing by FAR more than B300… so I myself think this is largely a non-story if you will.

Now IF the collect it AT ARRIVAL.. then that’s different… Now you have a visceral, physical reminder of the fee… and that will never be a good thing… the upside is that now the RTG can filter out who pays it and who doesn’t … but now you create a physical event that everyone can focus on - and focus on a negative .. so if it were me, i wouldn’t go this route… It’s a negative psychological…. Also, if they collect in person at arrival, the RTG has to eat the collection costs.. by baking it into ticket prices, they effector shift the tax collection burden upline to the seller… 

So, i agree with those that say in the larger scope a B300 tax/fee or whatever you choose to fall it, will lost likely have a measurable zero impact on their numbers..  but i think if they choose to do an in-person/upon arrival collection, then now you create a visual reminder — and that to me is something i’d try to avoid.

You want someone to pay the tax, but it’s best for you (the taxing authority) if you don’t highlight the fact that they are paying it. 

• Like 1