Thailand’s new entry fee – boon or bust for tourism?

webfact

7 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Where can you get an international flight for a 1,000 baht you have never flown a an internal flight like Bangkok to Samui each way is at least 2,000 bhart

You’ve lived a very sheltered life if you don’t know about something as basic as low cost international flights. 

8 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

This government always try to come up with more schemes to get more money they already get 700 every time you leave the country I guess not enough for them TIT

I think you are right.

Guess how many falangs have to come to Thailand in how many years until all the F-35 fighters for the military government will be payed by this fee :whistling: ?

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I always take a mug and bags of 3in1 and use the free hot water in the airports.

I always enjoy having my own mug when everyone else is drinking from paper/plastic cups.

Only foolish people pay for a coffee at airport prices.

...hmm, only foolish people need coffee at the airport.

8 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Bemused at people happy to give money away for free. Also, the guy quoting UK passenger duty/landing charges/fees. Thailand also has them (EVERY country does, buried in ticket price), so you need to post that as well. This is an additional tax/freebie for the rotten gov. Again, as long as you’re happy. Me, I’d rather put 300 baht in the drain. Same same but different. 

Dont forget the new £5 drop off fee at Heathrow now?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Most of the international flights I take cost under 1,500bht (many at 1,000bht).

Adding another 300bht to the ticket is a 20-30% rise.

Not that it matters any more, easy cheap international travel is gone for good IMHO.

12 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Are you flying FedEx?

No offence to BMT as I understand what he's getting at, but that reply just cracked me up ????

8 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

The Covid virus originated in Wuhan, China! So calling it the Wuhan flu/virus makes perfect sense.

The virus is associated with Wuhan, and indeed has commonly been referred to as “the Wuhan virus” in the press (at least prior to the World Health Organization formally naming the virus and the disease). Naming a virus after the location of the outbreak that first brought it to attention isn’t unusual.

After all the West Nile virus emerged in the West Nile district of Northern Uganda in the 1930s. It is similar to the St. Louis encephalitis virus, which broke out around St. Louis, Mo., in 1933, and the Japanese ­encephalitis virus that caused outbreaks in Japan beginning in the 1870s.

Coxsackie in New York state, Marburg in Germany and Hendra in Australia all have viruses named after them.

A certain type of person

On 1/18/2022 at 9:28 AM, internationalism said:

"While Thailand has never charged an entry fee before, many other nations have"

That is a lie.

Each international air exit is 700b (included in price of ticket).

Before BKK airport was moved from Don Muang that was 600b cash on departure.

That is a special airport tax, on top of all others calculated by airline.

Never heard about entry tax to any european countries. Besides, the EU travel can't be taxed by each country separately.

Each and every entering thailand has minimum $50k health insurance. That's condition to get the TP. Insurance policy is checked at departure airport, on landing in thailand. Even stupid hotels require it before booking T&G, Sandbox, AQ.

How 20% (out of 300b), that is 60b premium, might help?

Premiums for travel and health insurance are hundreds and thousands $. Those 60b (less than $2) is absolutely nothing to upgrade insurance policy in any way. That is just a con.

not 600Bt, 500.

On 1/18/2022 at 9:51 AM, Karma80 said:

I'm stunned someone even thinks this news. If you genuinely feel aggrieved or strongly about $9 being hidden in your plane ticket, alongside the barrage of additional landing, departure, fuel surcharges, passenger movement fees and so on, you're really going to have a miserable time in Thailand ????

I think that anybody coming to Thailand have the right to know what the 300Bt is for, is it to do with insurance? To re emburse hospitals for people who skive off not paying for treatment?

Or what?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Saanim said:

Would you be happy the people you are going with will be charged also 400 Baht - since you will be the one who will pay for them, won't you?

I am always amused by these complaints. The local people people pay tax (or maybe not) in their own country, their govt make it easy for them.

Whilst the farangs who live here mostly pay no tax here  - and probably neither in their own country throughout their whole life. So, the 12 bucks more is not so big deal for them.  Do they get admission to a National Park in their country for free?

Do they get admission to a National Park in their country for free? In my country, yes.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Do they get admission to a National Park in their country for free? In my country, yes.

There was never any charge to get into the David Livingstone Park in Blantyre.

Can you name any park in Scotland that charges you?

300 baht isn't going to make someone decide to go elsewhere, especially when it is imbedded into the price of the ticket.  There's already an airport tax in there anyway and has been for a long time.  It's better than the old days of having to have a 500 baht note ready when departing.  For a lot of tourists it was a pain in the ___.

• Thanks 1