Thailand’s new entry fee – boon or bust for tourism?

webfact

3 hours ago, DaLa said:

I'm not so sure I want to label any tax by a government as a 'bargain' , however compared to the rip off airport charges in the UK I can live with 300 baht. My latest booking to the UK cost 73,595 baht of which  34,795 was taxes.

I'm a left-turner so usually pay around 180,000+, though not for much longer, prices are going through the roof!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadMac said:

Well, compared to the incalculable risk by just taking a Wuhan test one may say it is negligible. Tourists will not come as long as there is forced detention. Period.

Wuhan test. You’ll be telling us the money goes to Bill Gates next

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Most of the international flights I take cost under 1,500bht (many at 1,000bht).

Adding another 300bht to the ticket is a 20-30% rise.

Not that it matters any more, easy cheap international travel is gone for good IMHO.

Where can you get an international flight for a 1,000 baht you have never flown a an internal flight like Bangkok to Samui each way is at least 2,000 bhart

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It won't matter because COVID will never subside.

No hordes will be coming for the next 3-5 years.

Mass International tourism is gone, maybe forever.

COVID will never go away, but the risk from covid is already subsiding. The mortality rate has dropped from about 12 in 1000 to about 2. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DaLa said:

I'm not so sure I want to label any tax by a government as a 'bargain' , however compared to the rip off airport charges in the UK I can live with 300 baht. My latest booking to the UK cost 73,595 baht of which  34,795 was taxes.

You are lucky to be able to pay return business class fare  Most tourists travel economy class naturally a mere Bht 300 makes no difference in these circumstances.

5 hours ago, internationalism said:

Never heard about entry tax to any european countries. Besides, the EU travel can't be taxed by each country separately.

Because there is no EU entry tax. In the EU countries that charge a tourist tax it is usually collected by hotels on a nightly basis. In some countries it is more per night than Thailand is proposing.

Strikes me many on this forum would prefer the more common system of a nightly charge.

https://ec.europa.eu/growth/sectors/tourism/business-portal/financing-your-business/tourism-related-taxes-across-eu_en#specifictaxes

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

While Thailand has never charged an entry fee before, many other nations have. Bhutan, for instance, charges most foreigners US$65, while Japan, Malaysia, the US, and many European nations each impose the fee in different ways.

Yes, yes. But... some very significant details have been left out in that story... as always when the Thai government is trying to justify yet another foreigner fleecing scheme that it intends to implement:

Most of the countries mentioned charge their respective entry fees to short-term visitors (i.e. tourists!) EXCLUSIVELY. Long-term stayers are EXCLUDED. In other words: they make a clear distinction between visitor and expat. Unlike Thailand. 

in the case of Bhutan, the $65 fee is included in the compulsory tourism package every short-term visitor is obliged to book.

And as far as the U.S. are concerned: I have never (ever!) paid an "entry" fee to be admitted into the country. There is a fee for the so-called ESTA certificate, but I consider that part of the visa cost and each certificate remains valid for a full 2 years anyway.

• Like 2

It will be scrapped by the master general right before it's introduction and all meetings, committees and working groups have been a waste of time and money.

Plus giving Thailand a bad name in international travel press and scaring potential tourists away....

Those in charge never learn and stop with those knee-jerk and flip-flop decisions...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Because there is no EU entry tax. In the EU countries that charge a tourist tax it is usually collected by hotels on a nightly basis. In some countries it is more per night than Thailand is proposing.

Strikes me many on this forum would prefer the more common system of a nightly charge.

https://ec.europa.eu/growth/sectors/tourism/business-portal/financing-your-business/tourism-related-taxes-across-eu_en#specifictaxes

If you are e.g. in Germany or Switzerland in a spa city they charge so called Kurtax, procedure practised for ages. Wondering whether the visitors in their forums complain about that much higher amount similarly as they complain in Thailand (about 10 bucks).  

• Like 2