Thailand’s new entry fee – boon or bust for tourism?

webfact

18 hours ago, billd766 said:

I certainly would. This one will hit EVERYBODY who flies into Thailand, tourists, returning expats, returning Thais etc.

Don't you think you should wait for the detail Bill, all the articles I have seen have said "foreign visitors", with the exception of migrant workers.

"The details of the fee collection will be announced in the Royal Gazette once the policy has taken effect.” So notably this hasn't apparently gotten into the Royal Gazette yet and until it does it presumably is not officially promulgated policy."

https://www.legal.co.th/resources/visa-immigration-law/visa-news/300-baht-tourist-tax-thailand/

I for one would much rather pay a one off 300 baht than be faced with a tourist tax every time I decided to have a night in a hotel or any other licensed accommodation. All the countries I have been to that has charged the tax, it has been applied to every foreigner that has checked in. This would apply to all expats whether they left the country or not.

I went to Bali a couple of years ago and If I remember right it was about £1/night, nearly £15 for the 2 of us for a week. I have had 5 nights in Thai hotels in the last 2 months, that would be about 400 baht on the same basis.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Goldpanner said:

He's in Bognor actually. At Butlins every weekend

thats uncanny i  worked as a bar manager there at bognor in the best venue the Ocean bar great times ...never saw elvis i was probably to busy chasing the chalet maids ha 

6 hours ago, Thungrat said:

How about a bunch of flowers for each tourists entering the country and brings all the much needed foreign currencies ???

Like they do it at many destinations - just cannot remember where it was, perhaps you can help?

On 1/18/2022 at 9:26 AM, bkk6060 said:

If 10 bucks is really a concern then they are not the quailty tourists Thailand is seeking.

Good point, suggest tot eh government it jacks it up x10 or x100 if they are serious about maily wanting the rich.

Considering that most countries charge way more than Thailand just for an airport tax

and other taxes. I have no problem with Thailand raising their taxes.  Some posters are protesting

or moaning about principal, are likely the kind who gripe when the weather is too hot or too rainy or

too cold. People who go to a hospital must have to give their passport numbers, so the hospital should be able to flag these people

to the immigration if these people do not pay their hospital bills. The immigration should be able to stop the people

from leaving the country and making them pay if they do not want to go to a Thai jail.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 6:26 PM, bkk6060 said:

If 10 bucks is really a concern then they are not the quailty tourists Thailand is seeking.

Then why not $20? Or $30? Or $100. Still happy to pay?

You do do realize that once introduced taxes only go in one direction - up - and pretty soon half the cost of a flight is now taxes.  Yeah. So unless you were born yesterday you should realize no one is complaining about a $10 entry fee because it's not just a $10 entry fee.   There's 8 or 9 other taxes and fees with different names that have to be paid as well  -  visa fee, COE fee, quarantine fee, covid test fees mandatory covid insurance, copies of forms, bank statements, plus if you enter through the airport there is airport taxes plus airport taxi taxes.   

And the most laughable part is when the government declares they will not charge the visa fee for the next  X months.  Thailand is almost as difficult to enter now as the old Soviet Union was.

On 1/17/2022 at 6:14 PM, webfact said:

the US, and many European nations each impose the fee in different ways.

I don't think the US charges "entry fees".  I've entered USA a number of times as a non citizen and have not been charged anything

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 8:01 AM, Harveyboy said:

thats uncanny i  worked as a bar manager there at bognor in the best venue the Ocean bar great times ...never saw elvis i was probably to busy chasing the chalet maids ha 

I was a Redcoat at Filey and Bognor in 73 and 74, elvis shared my chalet

On 1/21/2022 at 7:32 AM, Goldpanner said:

I was a Redcoat at Filey and Bognor in 73 and 74, elvis shared my chalet

i shared a lot of chalets with many a chalet maid ..sad i missed out on elvis ..great times at those camps more going on after dark than soi 6 

On 1/18/2022 at 10:02 PM, Fairynuff said:

You’ve lived a very sheltered life if you don’t know about something as basic as low cost international flights. 

Largest Airline in Europe...Ryan Air, do well at it. 

On 1/18/2022 at 1:10 PM, jesimps said:

If that's the case, why is it cheaper to buy a return ticket UK-Thailand from the UK end than here? Not being a smart ass, just hoping you can let me know the reason.

I seem to remember a tax being added by Gordon Brown about 10 years ago. Fifteen years ago it was cheaper to buy return ticket in Thailand. Could it be that arrival in UK as first port of call is cheaper than departure from UK, or it could be vice versa!

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

And yet 23,000 applied for Test and Go yesterday. 

LOL, and this you consider a significant amount of people? Tourists even? These are people coming back who have a life here, a job, a family.

• Like 1