Gov’t introduces financial security packages for freelancers

snoop1130

04afecf39b7e9cb99cc67e80e5a62107_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The government is encouraging freelance workers to join the national savings fund to improve their financial security, plus other benefits from accident insurance to a pension program. The government is also planning to roll out additional job security packages for freelance and informal workers.

Deputy Government Spokesperson Rachada Dhanadirek asked people aged 15-16 years old to join the National Savings Fund (NSF) scheme which is open to people who are not full-time employees at a registered company. This program covers students, merchants, farmers, taxi drivers, freelancers, and Social Security contributors under Article 40 of the Social Security Act.

Each NSF participant is required to contribute a minimum of 50 baht or a maximum of 13,200 baht, and the government is going to contribute up to 1,200 baht per year. The contributed amount is tax-deductible, while contributors will receive a wide range of benefits from health and accident insurances, and a retirement plan, in addition to the Social Security pension.

With a mission to improve the livelihoods of some 19.6 million informal workers, Ms. Rachada said the Cabinet has approved in principle the draft informal worker’s welfare and protection bill. Once enacted, this bill will ensure access to basic occupational rights, job safety, social security, and the rights to unionize among informal and freelance workers.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-01-18

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

Are you for real  ?    The clue is in the name ,   They are freelancers.   they work for themselves

I am real, my wife has 12 working for her, when one tried to sign on the system they asked her main place she worked, how is that for”very real”

23 hours ago, hotchilli said:

:coffee1:

So after 10 years of the government paying into this the freelancers will have a whopping 12,000 baht from the government, and after 30 years 36,000 baht....

Lets say 2 months salary for 30 years of work.......Happy Days....

Edited by redwood1
  • Haha 1

hopefully at least some will be switched on enough to realise the benefit.

i stopped working in the UK 25 years ago to work abroad, but kept up my national insurance class 3 voluntary contributions. so, when i eventually reach retirement age, i will qualify for a full state pension (on top of other pensions). for a uk citizen it's one of the best investments you can make, i'm amazed at the number of people who dont take advantage of it.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

I stopped working in the UK 25 years ago to work abroad, but kept up my national insurance class 3 voluntary contributions. so, when i eventually reach retirement age, i will qualify for a full state pension (on top of other pensions). for a uk citizen it's one of the best investments you can make, i'm amazed at the number of people who dont take advantage of it.

Agree - although class 2's are the real bargain if you can qualify, class 3 are still worth multiples more than the annuity rates you'd get on a private pension fund.