Why expats in Thailand should secure health coverage for COVID-19

ASEAN NOW

aseannowcovidcoverage.jpg

The Nation recently reported that most health insurance plans currently available to tourists don’t cover COVID-19 treatment costs. Consequently, Thailand’s Department of Health Services Support has permitted health insurance providers to launch products covering treatment for foreign COVID-19 patients with mild symptoms. This will speed up the claims process, which can take up to 10 days with foreign insurance providers.

Health insurance for foreigners in Thailand is highly advisable, to begin with, and is more important than ever with the current situation. This article from our friends at Pacific Prime Thailand takes a closer look at why expats in Thailand should secure COVID-19 health insurance coverage.

Considerations for expats in Thailand

In pre-COVID times, Thailand was one of the top places for expats to escape. Favorable exchange rates meant money could be stretched further than back home. The low cost of living and traveling enticed expats from all corners of the globe. But medical inflation and rising costs of living have changed things. On top of that, expats are concerned about costly hospital bills and whether they’ll be able to afford treatment without insurance.

Many expats in Thailand are now wondering what health insurance can offer them in terms of protection and coverage. Let’s take a quick look at a recent case study before discussing COVID insurance in Thailand.

Case study: Expat living on Koh Samui unable to pay medical and hospitel bill

In September 2021, ASEAN NOW posted about a British expat who was placed in hospital overnight and then obliged to quarantine in a “hospitel” (i.e. hotel isolation facility) for two weeks. The 47-year-old man had been living on Koh Samui for years and wanted to self-isolate at home. He claimed he wouldn’t be able to pay the full THB ฿60,000 bill otherwise.

While it wasn’t clear if he had any health insurance or insufficient coverage if so, what we do know is that an insurance provider or broker would have been able to help. At the very least, it would’ve been much easier to handle the situation between him and the authorities.

The key takeaway for expats

This case study serves as an important reminder for expats to review their existing insurance policies or look into securing one. You might find that you don’t have the right expat health insurance coverage or coverage levels are not enough. Either way, be sure to contact your local insurance provider or broker right away if something similar happens to you.

Advisors are available to answer “will insurers cover COVID-19?” and other questions about health insurance plans, as well as help you find a plan that’s a better fit.

Secure COVID insurance in Thailand

Those who wish to travel to Thailand must meet the requirements set out by the Thai authorities, including:

Health insurance with minimum medical coverage of USD $50,000

COVID-19 cover

Thailand Pass

What is COVID-19 cover?

For those wondering, the required COVID-19 coverage will cover the costs of quarantine, isolation, testing, and treatment - along with the potential costs of repatriation. Additionally, it’ll cover the cost of prescribed medications as a result of being infected with the coronavirus.

More comprehensive insurance policies will cover any losses incurred due to catching the virus as well, such as trip cancelations and lost bookings. As always, read the fine print of any insurance policy before purchasing it and never choose a policy based on price alone.

Essentially, most COVID-19 insurance policies have three main features:

Medical coverage - A comprehensive package with a cap of USD $50,000 at minimum, covering all COVID-19-related treatment costs

Life insurance coverage - In the case of unexpected death from COVID-19, the insured’s beneficiary will receive a total of USD $50,000 - though this depends on the policy

Additional out-of-pocket expenses incurred due to being infected with the virus (e.g. missed flights, lost bookings, etc.)

Travelers entering Thailand must carry a certificate of insurance to prove coverage. You won’t be granted entry into the country without it. Note that COVID-19 cover will be in addition to general health insurance policies that may be required for visas or extensions.

If you’re already living in Thailand, a robust health insurance plan that covers COVID-19 can give you the peace of mind that comes from knowing you can seek quality medical care whenever you need it.

Looking for expat health insurance in Thailand or globally? Pacific Prime’s highly-trained advisors are available to give you impartial insurance advice and a tailored plan comparison. Contact Pacific Prime Thailand today!

• 2 weeks later...

I have health insurance I carried over after I retired from my previous employer.  And yes I do pay for it,   It covers me internationally and domestically.  
i highly recommend every expat have health insurance. Taking care of your health is important.  And you never know what might happen. Even though many complain that health insurance is too expensive.  And many complain who have no insurance about the medical costs.

Edited by swm59nj

There are two items in this article that stand out; firstly, a 47 year old (not a retiree) ‘living for years on Samui’ can’t afford 60 000 baht. I need a knife and fork to cut that up, in order to swallow it…

Secondly, the ‘fact’ that the T ‘n G arrival insurance of $50 000 must include Covid cover.  I’ve paid attention and read all the graphics and charts produced by TAT, Richard Barrow et al and can’t find that requirement specifically mentioned; all I have found is that the insurance must be for ‘general medical expenses.’ Of course the insurance should have Covid cover, and I personally would want Covid cover, but I just can’t find it stated as mandatory;  maybe somebody could assist me?

8 hours ago, swm59nj said:

I have health insurance I carried over after I retired from my previous employer.  And yes I do pay for it,   It covers me internationally and domestically.  
i highly recommend every expat have health insurance. Taking care of your health is important.  And you never know what might happen. Even though many complain that health insurance is too expensive.  And many complain who have no insurance about the medical costs.

Of course we complain. Why should those of us who have sufficient savings to self insure pay through the nose when we never go near a hospital. Even if we did, there's the high possibility of the payout being refused on some technicality. At 77, insurance would cost me in excess of 100,000 a year, that's if I could find someone willing to insure me. In 2000 I had cancer, from which, after radiotherapy, I've been free ever since. I reckon that would put anyone off insuring me even if I was willing to pay the ridiculous premium. I take care of my health by exercising and staying slim(ish) and fit, unlike a lot of people who are insured to the gills, but are couch potatoes.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 12:31 AM, KhunLA said:

Sounds like a bit of a insurance scam to me.  Why should insurance not cover this virus, coronavirus, flu, since other viruses are covered.  Just another respiratory bug, like all the rest.

It's not that insurance companies are scamming to exclude coverage for COVID.  Some insurance policies issued outside of Thailand don't cover "other viruses" either. In fact many group policies issued in the U.S. only cover medical expenses for 'life and limb.' That's why this article is pointing out that it is wise to purchase travel insurance. So the scam is bigger and has been going on longer than you might realize.

On 2/2/2022 at 5:02 PM, jesimps said:

I take care of my health by exercising and staying slim(ish) and fit, unlike a lot of people who are insured to the gills, but are couch potatoes.

If you have lots of money, insurance is a asset protection and wealth transfer strategy.  Sounds like COVID insurance is a good fit for someone like you who is otherwise healthy.  But of course, you should not buy it if you don't need it.

Thailand hospitalises asymptomatic, that is not covered by international insurers. 
the last year there were thai insurers  doing it for below or around 1000b. Some of them got bankrupt. 

the new policies, from Tune, are from 7.5k per year. If somebody doesnt have health insurance at all, that insurance might be good. With $50k it covers international travel. 

but if somebody doesnt need to travel internationally, just any thai health insurance will do. The basic ones with some 400k cover start around 15k per year. That covers all medical conditions, not only covid. 

thai health insurance with over $50k do start from some 40k. They are worldwide, so no need for an additional travel insurance. 

once those thai covid policies expire within the next few months, probably it would be wise to look at those 3 options. 

in my case I had basic health plus 2 covid specific. 
when chance for international travel appeared since november i have first upgraded to over $100k and shortly after downgraded to over $50, when requirements had changed. 

For those living outside thailand and just visiting for short there is free emirates insurance $200k for 30 days, with each ticket, including one way. Can be tried for TP. They still offer this policy for fares bought before 1.03.22 (unless they extend it once again)

Edited by internationalism

I just got sms from dtac. 
they send me a link with 30% discount till 28.2. 
so cheap insurance is still possible, but their offer is next to nothing, it can barely cover asymptomatic hospitel

https://www.bolttech.co.th/en/dtac/corona-virus-insurance?utm_source=dtac&utm_campaign=Micro30&utm_medium=sms_cvm

"Coronavirus Insurance for Expats: Insurance Cover for Coronavirus, for Foreigners in Thailand

We offer insurance cover for Coronavirus for all nationalities. Whether you are a Thai national looking for Coronavirus cover or an expat, we can provide you with a policy. Our Coronavirus insurance for expats includes all the same benefits of our Coronavirus insurance cover for Thai nationals, at the same prices. Thailand expats with existing healthcare plans or critical illness insurance should contact their insurers to clarify whether Coronavirus and medical treatment for conditions related to it are included in their coverage. If this turns out not to be the case, you can choose one of our inexpensive plans, proceed to the payment area and buy your COVID insurance right now (there is a 14-day waiting period before coverage starts but your policy will be issued immediately)."