Thailand birth certificate lost and replacement

chang14

Hello forum,

My wife or I misplaced/ lost her birth certificate a few years back when we moved.

We have a certified copy and translation from NAATI.

How can she get a replacement as we live in Australia. Can we do it at the embassy or does she have to travel back to Thailand to the province she was born in.

TIA

5 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

AFAIK a birth certificate can not be replaced.  If it is on file a legal copy can be made by a District Office in my understanding.

We have been told that she has to got back to her birth province and get it from their. Do you know if there is any other way or who to contact. Just trying to avoid going back to Thailand just for a birth certificate.

I have just been through this procedure with my wife. Her sister who lives in Germany requires a Thai birth certificate. It is not easy, it's done at the district Amphur. 

Luckily her elderly mother is still alive, if deceased I am convinced we wouldn't have been successful. The village head man and two brothers plus my wife all had to be interviewed. A lot of signing of paperwork, and plenty of thumbprint from Mum. We were there most of the day. 

Kabin Buri District, Prachin Buri. 

Good luck, it may be different process where your wife comes from.... 

8 minutes ago, phutoie2 said:

I have just been through this procedure with my wife. Her sister who lives in Germany requires a Thai birth certificate. It is not easy, it's done at the district Amphur. 

Luckily her elderly mother is still alive, if deceased I am convinced we wouldn't have been successful. The village head man and two brothers plus my wife all had to be interviewed. A lot of signing of paperwork, and plenty of thumbprint from Mum. We were there most of the day. 

Kabin Buri District, Prachin Buri. 

Good luck, it may be different process where your wife comes from.... 

Are you sure that was for a recorded birth certificate?  Sounds like what is required when a birth certificate is not on file and alternative proof of birth is required.  Or perhaps because the subject was not available to request a copy in person?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kidneyw said:

If she was here, it would be easy.

My daughter, who was born in Phetchabun, went to a district office in Bangkok.

Just had to show her Thai ID card.

20 baht and five minutes later, they had printed out a COPY of her birth certificate.

Yes if in the digital database should be available anywhere.  In years past storage was much less organized (often in local schools - so many are no longer available).

31 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Yes if in the digital database should be available anywhere.  In years past storage was much less organized (often in local schools - so many are no longer available).

Yes that may be the issue with us, the sister in Germany is 48 years old. She could not fly here to do herself so my wife and family had to do. 

The certificate has gone to Bangkok to be translated into German and verified by I'm not sure who MFA, but an agent is taking care of it. 

My German is reasonable and will read it when it is posted on to us. 

We live in Phetchabun, 700KM round trip, twice now... family......

• 2 months later...

UPDATE: came all the way to Thailand with my wife to get a new birth certificate. We have a scanned copy luckily. Today we went to the district office and they have a scanned copy of her certificate on file. They printed out a bad quality black and white copy and signed it on the bottom. Our scanned colour copy is clearer and better quality than the one provided.
I have been told that if you loose original you can never get a new birth certificate. 

and advice. Is this true

1 hour ago, chang14 said:

UPDATE: came all the way to Thailand with my wife to get a new birth certificate. We have a scanned copy luckily. Today we went to the district office and they have a scanned copy of her certificate on file. They printed out a bad quality black and white copy and signed it on the bottom. Our scanned colour copy is clearer and better quality than the one provided.
I have been told that if you loose original you can never get a new birth certificate. 

and advice. Is this true

Yes that is true.  

13 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Yes that is true.  

Thank you Lopburi3: unfortunately the colour copy I have was not acceptable by Australian government. And I can see that this copy is a very bad unreadable scan and will not be acceptable either. 

51 minutes ago, chang14 said:

Thank you Lopburi3: unfortunately the colour copy I have was not acceptable by Australian government. And I can see that this copy is a very bad unreadable scan and will not be acceptable either. 

With government signature it may well be accepted (you might have to get it registered with MFA to make it internationally legal) - if not there should be other options (my wife had no BC and only official document had been burnt in school fire when she was a child so alternative was lawyer making an official document from those living in area that knew her and family.  Fully accepted for USA immigration (which we did not do anyhow).  

On 1/22/2022 at 8:46 AM, lopburi3 said:

AFAIK a birth certificate can not be replaced.  If it is on file a legal copy can be made by a District Office in my understanding.

I thought the same, mummy came back with an original in May last year though. Have a look

https://aseannow.com/topic/1255120-thai-birth-certificate-inquiry-how-true-or-any-one-gone-through-the-same/

Age = how recent matters of course.

Michael

Edited by MikeyIdea

On 3/30/2022 at 7:23 AM, chang14 said:

Your colour copy is still only a non certfied copy. Will never be accepted.

Try the "legal copy" of the birth certificate. The birth certificate is called TR1, can't remember the designation of the copy. It's printed on a form directly from tabien raat (house register) and the printout contains everything except the signatures at the bottom. Then they sign and stamp it at amphur. Get it translated to English, then go to the Consular affairs department at MFA (used to be on the second floor of the "passport building" close to MFA, don't know if it's there any longer). 

Maybe they only have a bad photo copy of the original birth certificate with signatures scanned. It could be impossible to get a better original. 

But: One good quality legal copy signed and stamped, one signed and certified official translation, I would think that's accepted.  Consular affairs department(s) don't certify copies, only original documents. That in itself is also a confirmation that the document is a valid copy of a birth certficate

Edited by MikeyIdea