0-A Long stay visa insurance question

Hi, I am in the process of getting the relevant documents required for my O-A long stay visa application via my local thai consulate in Hong Kong.  I am currently 57 and a HK permanent resident as well as a UK national.   With regards to the insurance requirement part of the application there are potentially 2 ways I can approach this and I am trying to decide which way will give me the maximum length of stay given that the amount of time I am stamped in for seems to be the amount of time remaining on my insurance document.  The first approach is I could try to use my existing UK health insurance policy with AXA that I pay for on a monthly basis that covers me worldwide (ex US) for any claims subject to a policy excess of GBP10,000.   I understand there is a form I could ask AXA to complete to make this acceptable to the immigration dept however the policy renews each January and the earliest I expect to get my visa issued once all the paperwork is received is March or possibly as late as April.   This would however save me having to buy additional insurance coverage to submit with my visa application paperwork.  My thoughts are that once the visa is issued I could then choose to apply for an additional long stay insurance policy via the participating insurers list on the thai immigration website.    This would then be able to be specific to my likely arrival date in Thailand.   The other option is to buy the additional Thai long stay insurance now and submit with my paperwork however I am then incurring two insurance costs as I will still maintain my uk AXA policy either way.    Any member guidance on this would be appreciated.   Thank you. 

I thought I could only obtain a non O retirement visa if I am actually already in Thailand.  Is this correct?  Also what’s the benefit of doing this instead of going the O-A route.  The benefit I see of the O-A route is I can use the funds in my main HSBC account as the THB800,000 requirement.   Thank you. 

6 minutes ago, HKexpat said:

I thought I could only obtain a non O retirement visa if I am actually already in Thailand.  Is this correct?  Also what’s the benefit of doing this instead of going the O-A route.  The benefit I see of the O-A route is I can use the funds in my main HSBC account as the THB800,000 requirement.   Thank you. 

Depends how long you wish to remain in Thailand.

If ongoing then non O is currently better option.

The non O can be obtained in Thailand from visa exempt entry or tourist visa.

Not sure you can obtain non O in HK. Your a permanent resident so can't see why not. 

Plenty of UK folk obtain them in the UK. 

If the 800k in Thai bank is a concern then use an agent. 

Ahh thank you Dr Jack.  I have just read up on the O- retirement visa.  As I already have a thai bank account open it seems the most efficient thing to do is to do a wire transfer to my thai bank account and in the meantime apply for the O - retirement visa.  Then I can apply to extend for another 12 months in Thailand.   I will check this out with my local thai consulate.  Thank you for pointing it out.  

55 minutes ago, HKexpat said:

Ahh thank you Dr Jack.  I have just read up on the O- retirement visa.  As I already have a thai bank account open it seems the most efficient thing to do is to do a wire transfer to my thai bank account and in the meantime apply for the O - retirement visa.  Then I can apply to extend for another 12 months in Thailand.   I will check this out with my local thai consulate.  Thank you for pointing it out.  

Personally think it's your best option.

Extensions retirement to a Non O are VERY simple. Especially using money in bank method.

More popular now is just to keep the 800k balance all year round.

For those that travel a lot then a reentry permit keeps your extension valid.

1000 single reentry and 3800 multiple.

Insurance requirements for non O-A making it progressively less attractive. Especially with land borders closed. 

Edited by DrJack54

Hi Dr Jack, you mention in your earlier post that I can obtain a O-Retirement Visa in Thailand by entering on a 30 day visa exempt.  I am contemplating using an agent to go this route where they may be able to fast track this process for me to obtain the 90 day plus 12 month extension on the same day.  Whilst I can wire the ThB to my account for the 800,000 if I go the route of using an agent do I have to wait until the 3 months is up with regards to the requirement for funds yo be in my thai bank account or do they somehow address this differently in this case?  Thank you. 

Hi Dr Jack, you mention in your earlier post that I can obtain a O-Retirement Visa in Thailand by entering on a 30 day visa exempt.  I am contemplating using an agent to go this route where they may be able to fast track this process for me to obtain the 90 day plus 12 month extension on the same day.  Whilst I can wire the ThB to my account for the 800,000 if I go the route of using an agent do I have to wait until the 3 months is up with regards to the requirement for funds yo be in my thai bank account or do they somehow address this differently in this case?  Thank you. 

The process of entering visa exempt and obtaining a non O is very simple.

Some people do not have a bank account and that can require an agent in itself.

Think you mentioned that you already have the bank account.

If so the non O and extension is simple and you can do it yourself.

For someone that either did not have or did not want to have the 800k in the bank then the use of an agent is possible. 

They bypass the money requirements.

That service comes at a cost approx 25k baht.

If someone has the money I suggest do it yourself. 

Dr Jack, as I have a UK passport I understand I can enter on a visa exempt basis for 30 days and then I I could just apply for the Retirement O-Visa for the initial 90 days at Bangkok Immigration office.   This would it seems be more efficient to me than applying for the O- retirement visa first via my local Thai consulate in Hong Kong as I will likely go to Singapore for up to 3 weeks before I fly to Bangkok.  I think therefore it would maximize my visa use if I waited until I am actually in Bangkok using a 30 day visa exempt stamp to then apply for this.   Once the initial 90 days is close to expiring I can then go apply for the 12 month extension using the funds in the thai bank account.   Do you believe that 30 days is enough time to obtain the initial O-retirement visa Bangkok immigration myself without using an agent?   Thank you. 

Dr Jack, as I have a UK passport I understand I can enter on a visa exempt basis for 30 days and then I I could just apply for the Retirement O-Visa for the initial 90 days at Bangkok Immigration office.   This would it seems be more efficient to me than applying for the O- retirement visa first via my local Thai consulate in Hong Kong as I will likely go to Singapore for up to 3 weeks before I fly to Bangkok.  I think therefore it would maximize my visa use if I waited until I am actually in Bangkok using a 30 day visa exempt stamp to then apply for this.   Once the initial 90 days is close to expiring I can then go apply for the 12 month extension using the funds in the thai bank account.   Do you believe that 30 days is enough time to obtain the initial O-retirement visa Bangkok immigration myself without using an agent?   Thank you. 

30 days is sufficient in the main because you have a bank account.

You would need to apply in the first couple of weeks.

The non O stamp gives you 90 day permission of stay.

In the last 30 days of that 90 you can apply for 12 month extension.

When you apply for the non O the funds must be in bank account on the day of application.

For the 12 month extension the funds (800k) must have been in the account for minimum 2 months prior to your application. 

Edit: be aware if for some reason you require more time than afforded by the visa exempt entry....you can obtain a 30 day extension. 1900baht

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

I have similar intentions as you have. I initially thought of non o-a visa so I can let the fund stay in my account outside of thailand. But the insurance is a deal breaker. I was also advised here to go for non o visa. 
I also already have a Thai bank account so I just moved some of my funds there. I also have a time deposit and the idea is to use it for the long stay extension requirement and leave it there until I decide to leave.

Edited by ryanqqq

It does seem as though the O-Retirement visa is the simplest approach given the additional insurance requirements etc.  Will look into using a time deposit for the THB800k. I presume that there are no restrictions regarding that?   Longer term after being there a few years I might look into the proposed 5 year retirement visa option if it’s an option but prefer to wait until I have renewed my Uk passport which will be due after the next 3 years.  

• Like 1

Dr Jack, I am reading that I need to show proof that the THb800,000 I deposit into my thai bank was generated from outside of Thailand.  Do I just use my Telegraphic transfer confirmation from my bank in Hong Kong for this?  Also I read a bank guarantee letter is required is this correct for the O-Retirement visa?   Am also unsure what form I should complete to take to the immigration and would be grateful if you can clarify that too.  Plus as I already own a condo in Bangkok do I need to take a copy of the title deed with me too?  Thank you. 

9 hours ago, HKexpat said:

Dr Jack, I am reading that I need to show proof that the THb800,000 I deposit into my thai bank was generated from outside of Thailand.  Do I just use my Telegraphic transfer confirmation from my bank in Hong Kong for this?  Also I read a bank guarantee letter is required is this correct for the O-Retirement visa?   Am also unsure what form I should complete to take to the immigration and would be grateful if you can clarify that too.  Plus as I already own a condo in Bangkok do I need to take a copy of the title deed with me too?  Thank you. 

You will need a credit advisee from your bank here to to confirm the 800k was transferred from abroad.

The letter from you bank is a confirmation your account is valid and the amount in on the day it is written.

List of requirements for the non-o visa application is here. https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/8-1.pdf

You will use a TM87 form to apply to the visa.

Thank you, re the confirmation of credit advice from my local thai bank it says in the required documents form that I also need a letter of guarantee from my Thai bank addressed to thai immigration dept.  Also that this needs to be issued on the same day as my application.   Does anyone know what this guarantee letter needs to say if I already have obtained the certification letter from

them.?   Also I bank with Kaisakorn bank and not sure if I need to go to a particular branch to obtain these documents or my local branch will suffice?  In addition, re proof of rental receipts as I have a condo there and plan to apply within the first few weeks of arriving there won’t be any rental receipts.  D I just give them my condo address and copy of the title deed?   How to obtain a local map showing the location of the condo to give them as it seems this is required as well.  Thank you. 

The guarantee letter wording is not exactly correct. It is just letter stating you account is valid and in your name.

Example here in Thai. bank letter.pdf

Any breach of you bank can do the credit advise and letter. Doing at the branch where you account was opened is the best option.

Since you will be arriving in the country shortly before you apply for the visa they will not want the 3 months of receipts for the condo. You will only need proof you own your condo such a the chanote for it.

You can draw a map to your condo from the nearest main road or intersection. You could use a Google map and mark the location of your condo on it.

They may also want you to submit a completed TM30 form to report your arrival at your residence.

Thank you for the clarification.   As I understand it whichever insurance I obtain also needs to match the validity of the visa.   Do I therefore need to apply for the insurance separately for each period of entry ie 30 days visa exempt, then 90 days O-90 days, then O-extension 12 months or can I apply for tue entire duration via 1 policy application to cover the 30, 90 and 12 month extension?   

13 minutes ago, HKexpat said:

Thank you for the clarification.   As I understand it whichever insurance I obtain also needs to match the validity of the visa.   Do I therefore need to apply for the insurance separately for each period of entry ie 30 days visa exempt, then 90 days O-90 days, then O-extension 12 months or can I apply for tue entire duration via 1 policy application to cover the 30, 90 and 12 month extension?   

You only need insurance for 30 days for entry. Are your entering visa exempt or tourist visa. 

If entering with tourist visa best to obtain 60 day coverage. 

Afterwards no insurance required. 

Edited by DrJack54

Dr Jack, I recall that when I was considering the O-A visa approach that it required long stay insurance and that the visa does not grant me permission of stay but it is dependent on the period of insurance.   If I am therefore entering visa exempt for 30 days and then will apply for O-retirement visa am I understanding correctly that insurance is not required for this and does the O visa permit multiple entry without insurance too if that is the case?   Appreciate your assistance. 

32 minutes ago, HKexpat said:

If I am therefore entering visa exempt for 30 days and then will apply for O-retirement visa am I understanding correctly that insurance is not required for this and does the O visa permit multiple entry without insurance too if that is the case

Applying for a non-o visa or one year extension of stay based upon retirement the medical insurance is not required.

After getting the extension of stay no insurance is required other that than the insurance now required for all entries to the country.

Havent had time to  read  all  the replies,, but why on earth are you applying for  that  useless OA  retirement class visa, that needs US $100,000   insurance, from a Thai company of all     places. and     for which the renewal/expiry date must exactly  match  your visa dates.annually.

Get  an "O" retirement in HK  if you can,  otherwise  just       come here,  after    purchasing a short term,,,say 3 month  US$50,000    medical policy, that all  arrivals must have.     Get a   30 day  Visa on Arrival,or   purchase a 60 day "tourist" vcisa in HK,  put 800,000 baht in a Thai bank,  and    a couple of weeks after arrival go to an Immigration office and apply there for an "O"  retirment visa..... No  insurance at all required (at this  time) and  let that 50,000  $  policy lapse.            If you want  health/medical insurance ,     do that later, not compulsory though. on O  retirement visa.