I would Do Anything for Thais, but I Won't Do THAT!

2long

1 hour ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I'd been asked quite some times but i refuse to do the ladyboys and eating things I not consider food.

Do you mean that you refuse to have sex with ladyboys ?

If you take a ladyboy home by mistake  , you should learn how to tell the difference between females and ladyboys

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Do you mean that you refuse to have sex with ladyboys ?

If you take a ladyboy home by mistake  , you should learn how to tell the difference between females and ladyboys

I meant the first but I nearly had a few times.

I know plenty of people who know that perfectly well, and yet where so drunk and in a nightclub ending up with one of the finer LB's around + having had a full operation. You didn't party enough if never having made that mistake (nearly). Not talking about those trees around the red lights.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

6 hours ago, pikao said:

For sure, why not (doesn't include things I don't like)

I see two is confused by my question ????

But at least you got it! I can not eat like that, thinking of the standard  hygiene among most people. Not only Thais, but in general.

2 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I meant the first but I nearly had a few times.

I know plenty of people who know that perfectly well, and yet where so drunk and in a nightclub ending up with one of the finer LB's around + having had a full operation. You didn't party enough if never having made that mistake (nearly). Not talking about those trees around the red lights.

Getting so drunk that you take transvestites or a guy who had his knob cut off ' back to your room for sex ?

Not my idea of "having a party" and its rather degenerate behavior and not my idea of fun  

6 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

That's not how they (and probably most) see YOU with an attitude like that. Parasites?!? Really?!? Bet they're all glad YOU live here.

I get invited over all the time to eat or drink or just to sit and chat. People stop by to help harvest, small home projects or just tinkering on my motorcycle as well.

I'll take that bet as losers lose. Our wedding was in our (family) house with around 30 people counting the monks. The reception was larger and we ended up with nearly 200% more in the "box" than the wedding and the reception cost combined.

Take your sour grapes and make some sour wine to feed your sourpuss. Some of us live here because we love it. :wai:

Thought so.  Big village wedding.  Who kept the money in the "box"? 

• Sad 2

On 1/24/2022 at 2:01 AM, Hummin said:

So you also sit on the floor and dip your fingers in to the different  food plates together with the others? 

Respect!

Yes, of course. (thanx 4 the respect ???? ) I've never thought about it as anything special, despite i know expats who live in Thailand over 10 years and more, but do not even go to a restaurant (not to even think about food vendors) which does not serve western food and is actually made for foreigners as are the prices. - Somewhat in the old fashioned movies of world travelling heroes i have learned as a child, that it would heavily insult the host if you refuse his offers. That's why i have always gone the way to join. It's like a switch in my head that tells me: Comply. Finally what can you do in distant villages alone with no but none or anything but the food they got? All this is very much to the surprise of my mother who experienced their sons as choosy despite creating fantastic meals, but to be true, my intentions are selfish because i'm probably only after that hero image 555

On 1/23/2022 at 2:35 PM, Screaming said:

I used to like to eat Thai food in my Western country but when I moved to Thailand, I stopped eating it. The quality of the food and the cleanliness of the food preparation turned me off to Thai food. If you go into most malls in Thailand you will find it very difficult to find a typical Thai restaurant. That is because typical Thai food is prepared in the street or on the public sidewalk among the pollution of the city.

Food-Poisoning-in-Thailand.jpg

The food is quite different most places now than 20 years back, and the reason is more sugar. The malls have more standarised food venues, but still they have the food courts that serve genuin thai food. My problem is as yours the hygenic side of eating street food, but any kithcen anywhere in the world also struggle with the same problems. 

What you can to minimize the risk of getting food poisoned, is to eat where everybody else eat. Never go in to empty restaurants, that means everything they use is fresh and not had time to settle with to much bacterias. 

On 1/23/2022 at 1:52 AM, Moonlover said:

When I am walking around the village during the day I do occasionally get invited to join the 'boys' for a drink. That is one thing I will not do. I am a very moderate drinker and I do not like have alcohol 'pressed' upon me as the way in Thailand.

Evenings only guys and then 2 drinks only which I control, not you. They may consider me a bit antisocial. So be it, those are my rules.

40+ years ago in Loei I learned not to hobnob much.  I did my drinking and whoring in BKK.  Getting invited to one or two all-night card games with local cops was enough.  Hell, I don't even play cards.  But back then, farangs were a curiosity, and welcomed for curiosity value at least. 

• Like 1

My Wife's family  usually eat with Chopsticks, they tell me they have no Chinese blood in them, but when i go to their  house  in  North East Thailand, everyone sits,   & helps themselves to the main dishes with chopsticks, talking a   helping from the main plate,  to their plate,  to their mouths,  & back into the main dish again ....   yuk...... they registered negative for covid  one time !!

Edited by actonion

On 1/23/2022 at 7:52 PM, Moonlover said:

When I am walking around the village during the day I do occasionally get invited to join the 'boys' for a drink. That is one thing I will not do. I am a very moderate drinker and I do not like have alcohol 'pressed' upon me as the way in Thailand.

Evenings only guys and then 2 drinks only which I control, not you. They may consider me a bit antisocial. So be it, those are my rules.

I learned very early on to never drink with a bunch of Thai guys, and never regretted it.

Refused to drink with my Thai BIL as he was a nasty drunk.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, actonion said:

My Wife's family  usually eat with Chopsticks, they tell me they have no Chinese blood in them, but when i go to their  house  in  North East Thailand, everyone sits,   & helps themselves to the main dishes with chopsticks, talking a   helping from the main plate,  to their plate,  to their mouths,  & back into the main dish again ....   yuk...... they registered negative for covid  one time !!

I wasn't aware that chopsticks were a purely Chinese thing. Other Asian countries use them, far as I've seen.

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I wasn't aware that chopsticks were a purely Chinese thing. Other Asian countries use them, far as I've seen.

A large majority of Thai families  have some Chinese  links

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2022 at 1:52 PM, Moonlover said:

If I could drink normally, I'd get drunk every night. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:
On 1/23/2022 at 1:52 PM, Moonlover said:

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

If I could drink normally, I'd get drunk every night. 

Perhaps it's just as well that you can't or you may, by now, have gone the way of my nearest falang neighbour in the next village.

He drank everyday with his Thai neighbours and I would sometimes see him as early as 9 or 10am knocking them back down by the river.

He went into hospital late last year to have a leg removed due to diabetes. He never came out. They found severe Cirrhosis and intestinal cancer to which he succumbed shortly thereafter.

Perhaps you should count your blessings.

17 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Perhaps it's just as well that you can't or you may, by now, have gone the way of my nearest falang neighbour in the next village.

He drank everyday with his Thai neighbours and I would sometimes see him as early as 9 or 10am knocking them back down by the river.

He went into hospital late last year to have a leg removed due to diabetes. He never came out. They found severe Cirrhosis and intestinal cancer to which he succumbed shortly thereafter.

Perhaps you should count your blessings.

For some living  is a slow suicide.

Edited by Hummin
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

In 30 years I have never heard of being required  to share food as  described  by the OP

It is no requirement, it is a sosial and cultural custom. If living like a lokal, want to feel you have the locals reapect, you do as locals do. 

Others like me, do not do as locals do

Edited by Hummin

11 minutes ago, Hummin said:

It is no requirement, it is a sosial and cultural custom. If living like a lokal, fele you have the locals reapect, you do as locals do. 

In 30 years of being here I have never heard  it being expected to share food as  described  by the OP. I have been offered food frequently but never expected  to share it, when I am eating,  in the manner described.

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Hummin said:

It is no requirement, it is a sosial and cultural custom. If living like a lokal, want to feel you have the locals reapect, you do as locals do. 

It may be a "custom" where you live, but certainly not in the village I lived in.