I would Do Anything for Thais, but I Won't Do THAT!

2long

Local vendors make their living from local people.  They only roast a fixed number of chickens or barbecue so many fish. When they are sold they go home. Another fellow in the market does deep fried chicken in batter between 4pm to 6pm only. I won't eat from the traveling vendors that show up at various events they keep warming stuff till it's all sold, days old sometimes.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Moonlover said:

When I am walking around the village during the day I do occasionally get invited to join the 'boys' for a drink. That is one thing I will not do. I am a very moderate drinker and I do not like have alcohol 'pressed' upon me as the way in Thailand.

Evenings only guys and then 2 drinks only which I control, not you. They may consider me a bit antisocial. So be it, those are my rules.

I have dealt with alcoholics pushing booze on me my whole life. I just day no. And then the taunting starts. And I say if I cared one iota what you thought of me, perhaps I would be offended, or embarrassed. But, since what you think of me means less than zero, I could not possibly care less. So, drink and get drunk. Do your thing, and I will do mine. 

• Like 1

When people stop by on the odd occasion I have no problem offering food and drink if we are eating and drinking at the time. I do have a problem when the wife constantly prepares enough food to feed an army just in case someone pops round and with the people who regularly appear just after food and drink is placed on the table. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, captainjackS said:

The only things I refuse to do the "local thai way" are usually related to safety.  For example, using an angle grinder or rotary hammer without safety glasses, electrical (the list of avoidable hazards is too long to write here), riding motorbike or driving on the wrong side of a divided highway.  I think too many people here believe in luck more than risk management.

Welding with sunglasses is my favorite.

• Like 1

Former gf's family raised pork. When her mom asked me for money to feed the swine, I refused. I did, however, offer to buy one which they gladly accepted. We had it butchered and enjoyed "Wilbur" for days after. Money in their pocket, one less pig to feed, everyone won. First time I ever tried bbq tongue - DEELICIOUS!

• Like 2

Until I laid down some rules, I had stopped lending tools to family members. Before, they would never be returned until I went to look for them, or would be returned broken without even a "sorry". Now they come back clean and if broken they pay to fix. They also come back EVERYDAY even if it is being used over several days.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Are you kidding? I became the star of the village by preparing an entire Thanksgiving meal from veggie trays with dip to homemade pumpkin pie and when word got out we had 1/2 the village stopping by for a "taste of America". 

Glad the only turkeys I could find that year were in excess of 15lbs. As I get along with the monks at our local temple we even packaged up most of the leftovers and fed them too. :wai:

I get asked quite often now when I'm going to "Cook American" again as it's a chance for them to "travel" w/o needing money. We've done Mexican Night (tamales, tacos, burritos with homemade salsa and guacamole), Italian (pastas that are NOT spaghetti with ketchup), Cowboy Night (smoked meats, chili with biscuits [no, not British cookies]), Tailgate Parties, etc.

"Star of the village"  That is not how the parasites in the village see you or refer to you.  How often do you get invited over when they "Cook Thai".  I bet you had a big village wedding also...

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

20 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I certainly wont entertain eating that scrapped up slop off the floor looking crab Somtam - though that may be for health reasons rather than stubbornness 

You know I offer my food to Thais but they have trouble getting it down. They must think I am a really bad cook because I just make plain old good food, not hot or spicy or full of fish sauce and sugar,

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Welding with sunglasses is my favorite.

I thought of that one too.  I have never welded before, so welding with only sunglasses is not in the list of things I have actually refused to do.  All the other things I listed are my real experience where an onlooker might suggest or try to influence me to do it their (dangrous) way because it's faster / cheaper.

Edited by captainjackS
spelling error

20 hours ago, Screaming said:

I used to like to eat Thai food in my Western country but when I moved to Thailand, I stopped eating it. The quality of the food and the cleanliness of the food preparation turned me off to Thai food. If you go into most malls in Thailand you will find it very difficult to find a typical Thai restaurant. That is because typical Thai food is prepared in the street or on the public sidewalk among the pollution of the city.

Food-Poisoning-in-Thailand.jpg

Not sure what a typical Thai restaurant looks like in Thailand but where I come from ( UK ) they mostly have a theme of Thai decor and a modified menu to suit the western pallet , plus of course not all of the usual ingredients are available . The UK has decent hygiene laws for restaurants along with unannounced hygiene inspections that can close a business if the hygiene standards are not met . Its a different story here in Thailand mostly , ( although some hotels are very good ) because the Thai people seem to have stronger stomachs than westerners . Hygiene and Thai street food dont mix ( wearing an apron and hat is good enough it seems ) . Hence , I do not eat Thai street food ( twice had food poisoning )

22 hours ago, Moonlover said:

When I am walking around the village during the day I do occasionally get invited to join the 'boys' for a drink. That is one thing I will not do. I am a very moderate drinker and I do not like have alcohol 'pressed' upon me as the way in Thailand.

Evenings only guys and then 2 drinks only which I control, not you. They may consider me a bit antisocial. So be it, those are my rules.

That's a good rule dude.  I often have a problem navigating that with my bro in law

3 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

Until I laid down some rules, I had stopped lending tools to family members. Before, they would never be returned until I went to look for them, or would be returned broken without even a "sorry". Now they come back clean and if broken they pay to fix. They also come back EVERYDAY even if it is being used over several days.

I wish I read this before I started lending money ????

• Like 2

Ok...I'll add my own.  I won't do sinsod.  I give my wife a good life...she works...I work...she has a masters degree and a certification from a top university in Chicago.  Mom gets money every month and her brothers kids have all the new tech they need for doing school online.  I'm certainly not gonna have a village of people judging me, my plight to find her, and the years of bs, corruption and 'tolls' I've paid along the way by how much money I put on a plate for them all to count.  The buck stops there...quite officially.

Not to mention it's antiquated and perpetuates the idea that women have a price tag and can be bought.  I don't think my sisters or family would get it back home...tradition or not

Edited by happydreamer
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, happydreamer said:

Ok...I'll add my own.  I won't do sinsod.  I give my wife a good life...she works...I work...she has a masters degree and a certification from a top university in Chicago.  Mom gets money every month and her brothers kids have all the new tech they need for doing school online.  I'm certainly not gonna have a village of people judging me, my plight to find her, and the years of bs, corruption and 'tolls' I've paid along the way by how much money I put on a plate for them all to count.  The buck stops there...quite officially

She have been married before, kids, or not a good reputation? Then you might be right, but if if no to every question, you are wrong, and you bring shame on your future wife and her family!

Good luck ????

22 hours ago, Screaming said:

I used to like to eat Thai food in my Western country but when I moved to Thailand, I stopped eating it. The quality of the food and the cleanliness of the food preparation turned me off to Thai food. If you go into most malls in Thailand you will find it very difficult to find a typical Thai restaurant. That is because typical Thai food is prepared in the street or on the public sidewalk among the pollution of the city.

Food-Poisoning-in-Thailand.jpg

Given the topic, and the umh, specific discomfort this fellow is suffering from, white trousers are probably an unwise sartorial choice!

On 1/23/2022 at 1:52 PM, Moonlover said:

You are not anti social, I agree entirely with your rules, but back in Scotland even when I go back to see family and friends, still a problem, because I don't drink alcohol, I tend to get left out of things.

• Thanks 1

On 1/23/2022 at 2:20 PM, bbko said:

This happens to me when I'm in the wife's village up in Phetchabun, I'll go from one cousin/aunt/uncle/friend's house to another and they'll invite me to sit, talk, eat & drink, why wouldn't I do the same?  

If the OP is talking about offering food to complete strangers, then I see his point.

As for "Is there anything that other members refuse to do, just out of spite, stubbornness or for other reasons?" I won't lend money to cousins, aunts, uncles and after one cousin stole some of my wife's gold while she was in our home about 10 years ago, that cousin isn't allowed in my home anymore even though we are back on friendly terms.

Back on friendly terms??????????????????? 

Edited by possum1931

"I have my own rules and I don't care about what others want" sounds reasonable sometimes, but being unbending in a country that bends all rules seems self-defeating if you are here for the long haul. 

I remember a science fiction story about aliens who slobbered excreta all over the floor. I guess they followed their own rules too.

I do invite friends to try a bit of my food if we are eating together and they look interested in what I am eating. I also scoop up a spoon of what they are eating. A lot of Thai food is shared from a central group of bowls, after all. I accept a sip of someone's Lao Khao if offered (seems to happen a lot at parties). I have found allowing yourself to participate in what is culturally natural to Thais ends up making life here better, not worse. 

I stopped lending money, books or anything unless I am prepared to never get them back.

4 hours ago, Hummin said:

She have been married before, kids, or not a good reputation? Then you might be right, but if if no to every question, you are wrong, and you bring shame on your future wife and her family!

Good luck ????

Not married, no kids.  She doesn't want it either and has refused her mother on it.  I think a lot has to do with the fact that we didnt do a village wedding. everything is a negotiation here.  Including sinsod and future financial contributions.  Barter hard, it buys respect

Edited by happydreamer
  • Like 1