Proof of legal residence UK

Hi, when applying for a non-imm 'o' for retirement what can be used as 'proof of legal residence in the UK' ? This for a UK citizen and a non-UK citizen, who are both currently and legally resident in the UK. Thanks

On 1/24/2022 at 10:34 PM, treetops said:

Another copy of your passport data page for the UK citizen.  What nationality is the non-UK?

Malaysian citizen. I have read reports that copy of passport is not acceptable for proof of residence, as does not show your address.

9 minutes ago, Hami said:

Malaysian citizen. I have read reports that copy of passport is not acceptable for proof of residence, as does not show your address.

As a UK citizen I used the passport on mine after seeing it recommended here on Thaivisa as was and it was accepted OK, albeit a couple of years ago now.  It is not referring to a residential address but the fact that you are legally permitted to reside in the UK, which a valid passport does.

I don't know what a Malaysian passport holder would supply.  They must surely have some documentation permitting them to stay?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, treetops said:

As a UK citizen I used the passport on mine after seeing it recommended here on Thaivisa as was and it was accepted OK, albeit a couple of years ago now.  It is not referring to a residential address but the fact that you are legally permitted to reside in the UK, which a valid passport does.

I don't know what a Malaysian passport holder would supply.  They must surely have some documentation permitting them to stay?

Being permitted to reside in the UK is not the  same as actually being resident. There are various levels of residential  status depending on what you need or want. The OP might have found himself in a kafkaesque nightmare or if he's lucky his passport  might suffice

6 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Being permitted to reside in the UK is not the  same as actually being resident. There are various levels of residential  status depending on what you need or want. The OP might have found himself in a kafkaesque nightmare or if he's lucky his passport  might suffice

I think a valid UK passport is the top of the pecking order as regards permission to reside there, but the Malaysian applicant is another kettle of fish that I don't know about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, treetops said:

I think a valid UK passport is the top of the pecking order as regards permission to reside there, but the Malaysian applicant is another kettle of fish that I don't know about.

The OP requires proof of residence which means a utilities bill or bank statement or driving license  with address clearly stated. A residential address is not the same as citizenship or the right of abode. The OP thinks he needs proof of residence.  A passport  has no address on it. Concomitantly a foreigner can be resident in the UK if they have a place to live and are registeredat that address via bank, utilities  IR, Dr's Surgery. That is not the same a being a citizen.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The OP requires proof of residence <snip>

No he doesn't.  He requires to prove that he is legally entitled to reside in the UK.  The question of what to use for this has been asked many times on here and a copy of the passport is the usual answer.  That is what I and many others submitted and had visas approved.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Hami said:

A non UK or Irish citizen needs proof they are a legal resident of the UK to apply for a Thai visa. That would be a valid visa or some other proof they are legally residing in the UK or Ireland.

• Like 2

On 1/31/2022 at 7:52 PM, treetops said:

Yeah, the Malaysian passport holder has a council tax bill (in her married name) and an old malaysian passport which has a 'permitted to stay in the UK' stamp, but that passport is in her maiden name ???? I might send an email to the embassy and ask what is best in this scenario. They have suprisingly been quite good at responding recently, and only took 2-3 working days to answer my enquiries via email. 

Proof of Legal lawful residence:

I would have thought this was an evidence of an immigration document confirming one is allowed to reside in the UK such as

UK or Irish Passport

ILR or a work permit (if such a thing exists in the UK) or any other document issued by the home office stating that one is allowed to reside in the UK.

Other documents containing ones address only confirms the address where one resides, it is not a document conferring residence rights in the UK.

Edited by userabcd

On 2/1/2022 at 1:57 PM, Hami said:

Yeah, the Malaysian passport holder has a council tax bill (in her married name) and an old malaysian passport which has a 'permitted to stay in the UK' stamp, but that passport is in her maiden name

I would suggest the old passport with permission stamp and a copy of her marriage certificate.

• Like 1