We are lucky to get 28 days of holidays this year in Thailand

webfact

Every year the same moan...to many holidays.... The author clearly has never worked in Thailand...

Couple of points:

1) There maybe officially 28 days, but no companies give the full 28 days, most businesses follow the SET holidays which is normally 12-13 a year

2) As someone alludes to have extra public holidays are not really sought after as they fall on days when no one actually wants to take a holiday, a day where everyone is not working. Most would much prefer to have holiday leave as per other countries which can be taken when we choose rather than when a public holiday is.

Anyway, this is click bait and i have taken it.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Lapun said:

Don't forget the 4 additional holidays approved by cabinet & announced on 05 Nov 2021 

https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG211105001025819

These are all on Fridays to create extra long weekends to stimulate the economy:

15 July, 29 July, 14 October, and 31 December (31-Dec has already been listed).

Additionally, the reports states -

The Cabinet has also declared 28 December the eastern region’s 2021 regional holiday, celebrating King Taksin Day. This holiday will be observed in 8 eastern provinces, namely Chachoengsao, Chon Buri, Rayong, Chanthaburi, Trat, Nakhon Nayok, Prachin Buri, and Sa Kaeo.

Dont forget that by law Employers only have to provide 13 public holidays.

So the total number listed on calendars really means diddly squat.

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

normally 12-13 a year

Labour Act - 13 days.

Be nice to get all 28 but then what with 30 sick days, 6 business leave days, 8 personal days and 25 annual leave days.... I don't know what I would do with the extra public holidays !!

14 hours ago, webfact said:

Note:
— Chinese New Year, Christmas Day and End of Ramadan are observed in Narathiwat, Pattani, Yala and Satun provinces only.

Songkhla too (except Christmas) - maybe not officially, but our local school does, as do local businesses. Some of the Thai-Chinese family owned businesses close for a week over CNY. 

14 hours ago, RandiRona said:

Even if they work 365 days , I doubt there would be any change in productivity. 

There would be a huge change in productivity! 

It would be even lower than it already is... ????

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Stocky said:

Songkhla too (except Christmas) - maybe not officially, but our local school does, as do local businesses. Some of the Thai-Chinese family owned businesses close for a week over CNY. 

Never knew about Christmas Day being a holiday. I have been working in the Deep South on that day for as long as I can remember since 2016.

13 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

In can not imagine that there is the same work speed and load as in in western country. In Asia it is all if not today than tomorrow so burn out by too much work is very rare..the opposite of the Western workload/speed. and yes holidyas can increase the productivity, but than people have to stop with the 24/7 economy here and have at least 1 day for all people off, instead of working every day and with no work no money it only increase the burn outs

My point was mainly focused on hard labour jobs. There is no exact comparision to Western countries. They don't have the extreme heat and sunshine all year round that Thailand has. I used to be a hard worker in my younger years, but there is no way I would be able to work hard for long in this climate, even if I was 40 years younger. The climate is absolutely brutal. It saps strength and energy. I reckon they deserve more holidays. I'm amazed how the beat cops survive in those very snug, dark uniforms all day in the sun.

Edited by JensenZ

19 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Lucky! I would blatantly announce it as a sign for lazy-classification.

Workers are considered slaves to the weathy. They will never be well off and burn themselves out to age prematurely. Why should they work harder? You don't get anywhere doing a Job = just over broke.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

My point was mainly focused on hard labour jobs. There is no exact comparision to Western countries. They don't have the extreme heat and sunshine all year round that Thailand has. I used to be a hard worker in my younger years, but there is no way I would be able to work hard for long in this climate, even if I was 40 years younger. The climate is absolutely brutal. It saps strength and energy. I reckon they deserve more holidays. I'm amazed how the beat cops survive in those very snug, dark uniforms all day in the sun.

What a heap of rubbish move to the north of Australia and you find out what heat is

Edited by Meat Pie 47

6 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

What a heap of rubbish move to the north of Australia and you find out what heat is

That's no way to reply to a post. I suppose with a name like "Meat Pie", civil conversation would be impossible. Your observation about the North of Australia is totally irrelevant

1. Population of Far North Queensland (Cairns and up, Northern Territory and the north of Western Australia) is a drop in the ocean compared to Thailand. 300k vs 70 million. Just so you know, that's 70 million living in a country with the highest average temperatures in Asia. Nearly 3x the population of Australia. I have spent quite a few years living in Cairns so I personally know how hot it is and how difficult it is to do hard work there. You don't actually have to visit any area on earth to check the weather... it's all available online. Darwin probably has more alcoholics living on the dole than anywhere else in Australia... so from that point of view, it's an observation that hot climates do make people more lazy.  

2. You don't have to work in Australia, and many don't. You can't find a job, you get the dole. You're sick, you get sickness benefits. Everyone get subsidised medicine (health care). You're old, you get the government pension. Covid-19 ruins your life - there are government hand outs. It's a nanny state and irrelevant in this conversation about countries where people need to work to survive. 

Edited by JensenZ

On 1/25/2022 at 7:38 AM, Ralf001 said:

You sound like an employer would would have his staff onsite working their fingers to the bone 24/7 if the Labour Dept allowed it.

and you missed a few, here are the categories staff at my work have for leave.

spacer.png

Run a company here with 1'600 staff and then I'll talk to you again. The average years of employment in my 15 years company was 10.7 years - key index enough for not having done everything wrong. 

I would not mind, if employers would not have to pay for all those populist promises and absence  days. In a 21st century country, vacation is stipulated in the law, sick leave is granted according to a certain roster and an employer can even take an insurance for absence-compensation etc. etc. Here all this is payable by the employer and populist election promises are footed by the private industry. 

47 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Run a company here with 1'600 staff and then I'll talk to you again. The average years of employment in my 15 years company was 10.7 years - key index enough for not having done everything wrong. 

I would not mind, if employers would not have to pay for all those populist promises and absence  days. In a 21st century country, vacation is stipulated in the law, sick leave is granted according to a certain roster and an employer can even take an insurance for absence-compensation etc. etc. Here all this is payable by the employer and populist election promises are footed by the private industry. 

????????????????

What a ridiculous post. Thais are only entitled to one rest day per week (so 6 day work weeks) and to observe 13 of the 28 or so public / national holidays. Additionally 6 days of personal leave per year.

• Thanks 1