We are lucky to get 28 days of holidays this year in Thailand

webfact

Picture1.jpg

Songran festival celebrated across some Asian countries (file photo)

Many of us expats know roughly when the national holidays are se back home.

However, when I first came to live in SE Asia, I remember being unprepared for empty streets in Bangkok when everyone went home or on holiday to the resorts.

By then it was just too late to even book a decent hotel!

Now I am prepared well in advance, and exit Thailand to avoid getting soaked during Songkran, which can last up to four days.

It is interesting to note that whereas Vietnam lists only eight official national holidays, the Philippines have fourteen holidays, and Cambodia has 24 days, here in Thailand we have a mouthwatering 28 days off work this year. 

Compare this to the UK, which has one of the lowest number listings just eight national holidays.

The USA with nine, while Russia with fourteen if you include their six days off for the Russian New Year.

Therefore, Cambodia and Thailand must be the places to hang out.

Here is a list of current Thailand Public Holidays 2022

This page contains a national calendar of all 2022 public holidays for Thailand. These dates may be modified as official changes are announced, so please check back regularly for updates.

holiday.jpg

Visit bot.or.th for the original release.

Note:
— Chinese New Year, Christmas Day and End of Ramadan are observed in Narathiwat, Pattani, Yala and Satun provinces only.

— Labour Day is observed by all sectors except the Government sector.

— Royal Ploughing Ceremony and Khao Phansa Day are observed by the Government sector only.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-01-25

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, webfact said:

Compare this to the UK, which has one of the lowest number listings just eight national holidays.

Yes but workers in the UK get much more annual leave which in my opinion is much better. 28 days is the minimum for most full time workers - that figure can include public holidays but most get them as well as the 28 days.  Some firms are even offering 30 /35 days + public holidays.

Everyone being off at the same time can be a nightmare - ever been on Mitraphap on NYE or Songkran?

• Thanks 2

Definitely "the land of the long weekend" FOR SOME. Productivity in the public sector and high end business sucks which must have a serious effect on the Thai economy. For the majority "What is a public holiday?"

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

When I came ⅓ of a century ago, Thailand knew of 11, later of 13 public holidays to be given to staff. 

The 28 days today remain payable by the employer. Add to this figure 104 days of weekend (SAT & SUN) and you're at 132 calendar days. Then take the 30 days sick leave as stipulated in the Labour Protection Act (and some staff is professional in ensuring 30 days sick leave) you're at 162 calendar days. 
Some days (forgot the number) you have to give them for "administrative visits" to government agencies like renewing driving licenses and other bureaucratic bnllsh16, so the professional stretchers manage 170 days absence in 365 days. 

The employers love paying 365 days for a (questionable) production period of 195 days and the loyalty of most Thai workers are more than known. Walking off the job whenever they are miffed while employers get skinned alive for reprimanding disciplinary wrongdoings by the employee.....

I shut down my business in Thailand years ago and took it elsewhere; never regretted it and leaving Thailand with a more than bleak future for the next two generations to come; the rest of Asia has not been sleeping the last 30 years. 

You sound like an employer would would have his staff onsite working their fingers to the bone 24/7 if the Labour Dept allowed it.

and you missed a few, here are the categories staff at my work have for leave.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

Holiday is a holiday and if it  a Saturday or a Sunday there is no need to to give an exra day off. Thailand has a 24/7 economy. There are too many holidays... it should be reduced...15/16 holidays should be enough.. 

Thais can't work a full month.

1 hour ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Reduce the public holidays to 8 days and give the workers 14 days of holiday to plan themselves, much better. These public holidays are a huge annoyance for businesses.

Not everyone is alloacted the full amount though.

Thailand Labour ACT specifies 13 public holidays.

• Like 1

Just now, Ralf001 said:

Not everyone is alloacted the full amount though. Thailand Labour ACT specifies 13 public holidays.

Reality seems often that it is much more to that, but my point is mainly that it would be way better for Thais if they could have more days to plan themselves instead. I know many some cases of Thais who not want to lose their job/career and due to only having like 5-7 holidays, can't even really go to visit the home country of a farang husband for example. Then they get fired etc.

But also in general, people only getting 1-2 days leave a month, to then spend 1 day going and returning to the village, they would love being able to take 5 days, 3x per year, aside a few public holidays. 

43 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

You sound like an employer would would have his staff onsite working their fingers to the bone 24/7 if the Labour Dept allowed it.

and you missed a few, here are the categories staff at my work have for leave.

spacer.png

You missed off 'Leave to go home and vote'.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

That is exactly what I do for the staff in my company.

If they do not take the 14 days - they can have cash instead.

That's amazing and very nice to offer. So how many of them take the cash?

Edited by ChaiyaTH

5 hours ago, webfact said:

here in Thailand we have a mouthwatering 28 days off work this year. 

AKA the (un)Civil Service. Most have never worked a full day in their lives; the public is seen merely as a reason for their sinecure, to be treated with disdain & contempt.

2 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Reality seems often that it is much more to that, but my point is mainly that it would be way better for Thais if they could have more days to plan themselves instead. I know many some cases of Thais who not want to lose their job/career and due to only having like 5-7 holidays, can't even really go to visit the home country of a farang husband for example. Then they get fired etc.

But also in general, people only getting 1-2 days leave a month, to then spend 1 day going and returning to the village, they would love being able to take 5 days, 3x per year, aside a few public holidays. 

Thailand Labour ACT specifies 10 Annual Leave Days.

When it is a holiday here in DK we get fully paid for that day of work.

If we work on a holiday we get double or triple payment depending which company we work for.

Same in Thailand or is it a day off with no income?

50 minutes ago, Virt said:

When it is a holiday here in DK we get fully paid for that day of work.

If we work on a holiday we get double or triple payment depending which company we work for.

Same in Thailand or is it a day off with no income?

here at my work if i work a public holiday i get another day off in lieu.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JensenZ said:

How can you make a judgement about how many are too many? What metric do you use? More holidays can increase productivity too as people working sh*t jobs don't burn out as quick.

In can not imagine that there is the same work speed and load as in in western country. In Asia it is all if not today than tomorrow so burn out by too much work is very rare..the opposite of the Western workload/speed. and yes holidyas can increase the productivity, but than people have to stop with the 24/7 economy here and have at least 1 day for all people off, instead of working every day and with no work no money it only increase the burn outs

• Like 1

Don't forget the 4 additional holidays approved by cabinet & announced on 05 Nov 2021 

https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG211105001025819

These are all on Fridays to create extra long weekends to stimulate the economy:

15 July, 29 July, 14 October, and 31 December (31-Dec has already been listed).

Additionally, the reports states -

The Cabinet has also declared 28 December the eastern region’s 2021 regional holiday, celebrating King Taksin Day. This holiday will be observed in 8 eastern provinces, namely Chachoengsao, Chon Buri, Rayong, Chanthaburi, Trat, Nakhon Nayok, Prachin Buri, and Sa Kaeo.